Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2009, 08:23 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm curious about this also...

QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
does it disable DEBUG MENU access through the MODSET.492 file w/ [OPEN_DEBUG_MENU] or we are safe for now ?

12-02-2009, 08:27 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gregor Quote
That didn't help me much.
He means you can use the DEBUG menu to adjust the auto-focus, to correct for lens back-focus, front-focus etc. (Sort of) like you can on the K20D and K-7.
12-02-2009, 09:09 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
He means you can use the DEBUG menu to adjust the auto-focus, to correct for lens back-focus, front-focus etc. (Sort of) like you can on the K20D and K-7.
I see! That would be cool. I assume you kinda need to know what you're doing though.
12-02-2009, 10:19 PM   #19

is there any risk to downloading this update? Like is there some chance that the original firmware will be better in the long run and this one may be buggier somehow? If so, are you able to go backwards and load the original?

12-02-2009, 10:33 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by iggy373 Quote
is there any risk to downloading this update? Like is there some chance that the original firmware will be better in the long run and this one may be buggier somehow? If so, are you able to go backwards and load the original?
AFAIK, there is no way to back up or restore firmware 1.0. I may be wrong though.

If that is the case, then an update is risky because you can't roll-back to the previous version.

However, it is only a camera. The worst thing that can happen is that it will be bricked, in which case -> Pentax distributor.

Also it is only a minor - not even a full point - upgrade. One presumes therefore that it doesn't change things around an awful amount, and so may therefore be low-risk to implement.
12-02-2009, 11:01 PM   #21
Veteran Member

AFAIK, there is no way to back up or restore firmware 1.0. I may be wrong though.
that was possible w/ K10D.
12-02-2009, 11:17 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
its probably possible to go back a firmware, however this is the first one to be released as a file. So without a 1.0 file to load you cant go back. But now we have a 1.01 file we can go back when 1.02 comes out. etc.

12-02-2009, 11:29 PM   #23
Veteran Member

no dramas here, and i didn't have battery issues, because i just bought two new sets of eneloops to start with.

didn't bother with freshly recharged batteries, and didn't bother with clean formatted card, it also didn't take 2 mins to do. Unless your batteries were going to fail within the formatting time its not risky at all. Just as arse covering exercise from pentax with those warnings.
12-03-2009, 02:54 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Weird about the Cross Processing features being added in the firmware though. I mean, who uses Cross Processing? .
Cross processing already exist in the firmware, and it seemed so popular that Pentax added it to one of the features of the Green button - for easier access.
Many loves this mode, because it is fun!
12-03-2009, 02:57 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by iggy373 Quote
Normally there is no risk. I only know of one occassion with a faulty firmware release and then Pentax released a fix the week after. This was the K10D V1.10 firmware that introduced more problems than it fixed, so V1.11 was released very shortly after and this worked very well.

So it is very uncommon for firmware updates from Pentax to create new problems.
12-03-2009, 06:45 AM   #26
Inactive Account

Original Poster
i upgraded to the v 1.01. the LV tricks no longer work, but that was bogus and misleading to begin with IMHO.

i used eneloops (green level) during the upgrade. after upgrading, the batt level was orange.

now my sanyo 2500 nimh start the camera, but in orange level.

i'll have to recharge these older batts and see what happens.
12-03-2009, 07:42 AM   #27
Veteran Member

The upgrading process itself drains batteries, that is why Pentax recommends freshly charged or new batteries when upgrading.

The purpose of the upgrade is to make the battery indicator more true and stable to the charge in the batteries.
So if it was going between green, orange and red before, flipping back and forth, it should not do that anymore. This may mean it shows orange instead of green for batteries that has been used or batteries that are too old to have a full charge - but that's because it is more true to the charge in batteries, instead of the green - orange - flipping LV - green etc. thingie that changed the indicator but did not change the charge in the batteries.
12-03-2009, 08:57 AM   #28
Veteran Member

A week or two ago I bought a set of "Rayovac 4.0" Ni-MH rechargeables advertised as being particularly good in digital cameras. I charged them up, set the K-x to Ni-MH, popped them in and turned it on with the lens disengaged to "trick the camera." No matter what I did, the battery meter read empty. I pulled them out and stuck them on a shelf where they've been sitting ever since.

After updating my firmware just now, I popped them back in the camera and the meter reads green. You can call me a happy customer.
12-03-2009, 09:08 AM   #29
Inactive Account

Original Poster
it's good to know that the new firmware displays a more accurate level of the battery. no more hocus-pocus.

good batteries will power the camera on and work. bad batteries will not.

tnx, pentax
12-03-2009, 09:29 AM   #30

From the moment i recived my k-x i used eneloops. After 1 week of tests (220 picures, 10 movies of maximim 1 minute each and a lot of play whit the menus) my camera indicates half full bettery. After i instaled firmware 1.01 the camera indicates the same as before (i used the deliverd AA Energizer`s to upgrade).
I will see later if there is any change. in this moment the weather is messy and i dont have many things to photograph