Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2009, 11:01 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
Just received my K-x... anyone know how to check what firmware is loaded? (sorry, left the manual in my office).

Thanks.
Power your camera on while 'menu' button is pressed. It will display your firmware number.

cheers

12-14-2009, 11:13 AM   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
I remember reading that thread and thought the orange reading made sense because of your point
I agree with you (and LoL! my own words )
BUT I thought you said your Kodak Pre-Charged showed half Orange even when recently charged
- that does not sound right for KP-C in good condition.

I would fully understand if those KP-C showed half orange if they were charged about 3 months ago, or used for a few hundred shots (of my typical usage over ~400?) because of exactly its lower voltage maintenance under load compared to eneloops.

But my reported "problem" was that my over 2/3 full eneloops with under 400 shots
- showed half Orange in the Kx FW1.01 even when set on NiMH
- whereas they were literally moments before on full Green for Kx FW1.00 (also set on NiMH)
and I have shown that eneloops maintain their operating voltage under load much better than any other NiMH - regular or LSD type.
12-14-2009, 12:02 PM   #78
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
But my reported "problem" was that my over 2/3 full eneloops with under 400 shots
- showed half Orange in the Kx FW1.01 even when set on NiMH
- whereas they were literally moments before on full Green for Kx FW1.00 (also set on NiMH)
It might be worth cleaning all the battery and battery holder contacts, there's rather a lot of contacts (8) all losing a few millivolts or tens of millivolts or more each depending on cleanliness and spring pressure. Enough to make the difference between orange and green anyway. A pencil eraser should do a decent job.
12-14-2009, 12:16 PM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
It might be worth cleaning all the battery and battery holder contacts, there's rather a lot of contacts (8) all losing a few millivolts or tens of millivolts or more each depending on cleanliness and spring pressure. Enough to make the difference between orange and green anyway. A pencil eraser should do a decent job.
Thanks for that advice -
I can no longer do that since I had discharged that set of eneloops to see the remaining capacity (67-70%) -
but I keep my battery contacts clean and always wipe them before usage -
so although what you say is valid -
I really do not think that was the case this time.

12-14-2009, 02:22 PM   #80
Forum Member

I have a k-x woth 1.01. I am at ~400 shots with my enloops. it is also showing orange. but when you turn it on first, it is green. after a shot or 2, it turns orange. I am going to run it till it dies to see how many shots I get.

mine is set on auto detect. I won't change it so i can get a stable shot count first.
12-14-2009, 02:37 PM   #81
Inactive Account

Original Poster
same here. i have eneloops that is now showing orange after about 300+ shots. a few short videos here and there.

i'm going to use it until the battery depleted message appears.

IMHO, the new battery circuitry is more accurate in the sense that it doesn't falsely lead you to belive that your battery is still good by displaying green, only to have it drop suddenly to red and putter out.

as was the case with my k10 and k2000.
12-14-2009, 03:45 PM   #82
Veteran Member

OK, although shot count IS a very good way to show how well batteries last in the Kx - I also use it -

BUT unfortunately everyone's usage is going to be different.

The reason I do quote my shot count is because at shot 381 - my eneloops still had 67-70% charge left in them
(I actually discharged them using the Maha C9000 - pretty reliable reading) -
these showed full Green on FW 1.00 -
but showed a consistent half Orange on FW 1.01 -
and there was only a few minutes' interval between taking them out and doing the firmware Update to 1.01 using a freshly charged set of eneloops -
then literally replacing the 30-33% used eneloops back into the same Kx (now with FW 1.01) -
and that set then persistently showed half-Orange under FW1.01.

Now on shot count alone one might say this may seem pretty reasonable -
but these eneloops have managed just under 1,300 shots in my Kx FW1.00,
and typically over 1,000 shots in the even more fussy/demanding K100D.

So 381 shots with my normal (probably frugal) battery usage
I feel probably should not show half Orange -
that's what the "big" deal is about -
and as I said I actually measured the remaining capacity -
and those were still 67-70% charged......
NO
way should they be indicated as half Orange
which is supposed to mean "Batteries are running low".
They are/were not.

Last edited by UnknownVT; 12-14-2009 at 04:35 PM. Reason: typo
12-14-2009, 08:57 PM   #83
Forum Member

OT... holy crap you have over 1300 shots already? even with k-x being a new toy and me tinkering with m42 lenses, I only got ~400
12-14-2009, 09:53 PM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slow2focus Quote
OT... holy crap you have over 1300 shots already? even with k-x being a new toy and me tinkering with m42 lenses, I only got ~400
Also OT -
Actually as of Saturday I was on shot count 2,712
(Kx since Nov/24/2009)

But for some really impressive numbers see this thread -

Pentax Shutter Count...up!!!!
12-22-2009, 08:55 PM   #85

Mac into where? and nothing

QuoteOriginally posted by innershell Quote
Yeah, just download the mac version. The two format download is one of the stupidest things I've seen in a while for software distribution. I guess certain people need work to keep the economy going.
Don't know what is going on. I downloaded the version and copied it to the disk.
Installed it. Turn on and nothing.

Put the file into DCIM, it doesn't show anything happening or into the Misc file or into neither.

It will even go to startup like nothing is happening after 1.0 comes on the screen.

I have no idea why this is happening. And I don't understand you note either. I downloaded the mac version.

What is a "two format" download.

Never have had any problems updating firmware to any device before. It's just not doing anything or it just goes to regular startup.
12-22-2009, 09:15 PM   #86

What is going on with this download. Have now tried TWO different sd cards. Load the file onto the card. If copied to the card, it starts up and absolutely nothing.

Copied to the DCIM and Misc files and it just loads the camera regular.

This is not very good for something that should be so simple. Battery is green, no issue.
Straight copy to 2 different cards, and both work. Ver. 1.0. It will not go to any loading screen.

Camera is working fine. Batteries are working fine. Firmware, no clue and never had any problem with any device for firmware upgrade.

Frustrating to run into this and very strange on a mac.
12-22-2009, 09:51 PM   #87
Veteran Member

There should be no folders or files on your memory card when doing the firmware upgrade. The only file that is allowed to be on your memory card is this file: Fwdc206b.bin

Can you check that and make sure?
12-22-2009, 10:39 PM   #88

tried

Okay, went in and deleted the other two folders DCIM and Misc. After that, the response is exactly the same. Holding the menu button down and turning on the power does nothing.

I've tried a file from Japan, the UK and now Canada. The one from the UK was the only one that created anything on the screen. It said the file is damaged. The others do not do anything just a blank screen. After the latest failures, the card comes out of the camera creating a DCIM folder (again).

The camera is working with two different cards. Still don't get it.
Thanks for your suggestion.
12-22-2009, 10:49 PM   #89
Veteran Member

Sounds like you know what you're doing. It looks like your camera is not picking up the firmware image on startup, or that the MENU button is not switching the system to update mode.

I think you should call Pentax if you really want to get this firmware installed.
12-23-2009, 04:54 AM   #90

Thanks. Decided to back up to the beginning and formatted the card itself on the camera first.
Then followed everything and the firmware upgrade went fine. The instructions should probably say you should format the SD card on the pentax or the firmware may not be recognized.

Thanks so much for taking time to reply.