Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2009, 02:09 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Going to Malaysia and Singapore...

Going next week to SE Asia and would like to visit a few camera stores for possible deals. I know we have some friends on here that reside in that area of the world. So to you, which shops do you recommend me visiting?

Thank you.

12-03-2009, 05:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Your lens is going to fog up frequently...

Sorry, can't offer any advice on stores. Never even thought about going into stores to see if they had good deals on lenses. Oh well, maybe I can buy another $1300 ticket to fly down and check. :P
12-03-2009, 07:10 PM   #3

Hi nah,

You can visit us in our own Malaysian virtual Pentax community in Pentax - PhotoMalaysia Community called PhotoMalaysia.

Our Singaporean cousins have their own site called ClubSNAP Pentax - ClubSNAP Photography Forums

As in all Pentax forums the world over, we the rebels are a friendly and helpful lot. Good luck, and may the force be with you.
12-04-2009, 01:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

In Singapore, avoid most of the camera shops in places like Sim Lim Square, Funan, Lucky Plaza, there are only a few reputable shops which will not overcharge or employ dodgy tactics.

For example,

Cathay Photo (Peninsula Plaza, Marina Square)
Alan Photo (Sim Lim Square 1st floor, Funan)
Orient Photo (Sim Lim Square 6th floor)
TK Foto (Shaw Tower)
Manly Dept Store (Chinatown)
SLR Revolution (Funan)

Also, do your research before stepping into the shops, or risk paying more than you should.

12-04-2009, 05:12 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by darrenleow Quote
In Singapore, avoid most of the camera shops in places like Sim Lim Square, Funan, Lucky Plaza, there are only a few reputable shops which will not overcharge or employ dodgy tactics.

Also, do your research before stepping into the shops, or risk paying more than you should.
I'll echo this. Most of the shops have one display model of everything, if you show interest in a particular item they will sit you down to discuss it whilst a shop assistant goes to "the warehouse" to get a fully boxed version - you'll then be given the hard sell on whatever alternative they think would be better (and have in stock). If you manage to resist for 15 mins they will eventually tell you that they don't have any of what you originally wanted etc.

The visit Singapore website (http://www.visitsingapore.com) has some good advice on tax etc and a list of retailers to definitely avoid.
12-04-2009, 08:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Hopefully, the OP is not going into a camera store and buying any lens on impulse. He should be going in looking for a particular lens and knowing all about the prices he would pay for it in North America first. Only then, will the OP know if he is getting a deal. Also note that International warranty is not the same as local (Canadian) warranty. If there are any savings to be had, is it worth the reduction in warranty?
12-04-2009, 03:52 PM   #7
nah

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by innershell Quote
Hopefully, the OP is not going into a camera store and buying any lens on impulse. He should be going in looking for a particular lens and knowing all about the prices he would pay for it in North America first. Only then, will the OP know if he is getting a deal. Also note that International warranty is not the same as local (Canadian) warranty. If there are any savings to be had, is it worth the reduction in warranty?
I definitely know my prices on equipment and know what I need still.

I probably wouldn't buy a high ticket item like a lens, unless it was an amazing deal. As for warranty, if I buy with my Visa, they double the warranty for me. So Pentax has a 1 year international, a double up would be 2. But at this point, I'm more interested in filters and maybe a CF tripod.

That said, thanks for all the tips guys, definitely appreciate it!

12-04-2009, 06:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Pentax prices in Singapore have only come down recently to relatively competitive prices due to the new distributor. Even then, it's still higher than what you can get in the US.

Filters are much cheaper in Singapore than in the states. You can contact some of the registered sellers on the forum to get filters for cheaper than you can find in stores. I've done business with a couple of them, and they have many happy customers.

Large Selection of B+W Filters, Hoya Filters. Also has Pop-Up Diffuser, Gaffer Tape - ClubSNAP Photography Forums

B+W MASSIVE SALE! UV,CPL,GRAD,ND,IR Filters. Various size available. - ClubSNAP Photography Forums

Hoya: All New HD filters - ClubSNAP Photography Forums
12-05-2009, 06:31 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax prices in Singapore have only come down recently to relatively competitive prices due to the new distributor. Even then, it's still higher than what you can get in the US.

Filters are much cheaper in Singapore than in the states. You can contact some of the registered sellers on the forum to get filters for cheaper than you can find in stores. I've done business with a couple of them, and they have many happy customers.

Large Selection of B+W Filters, Hoya Filters. Also has Pop-Up Diffuser, Gaffer Tape - ClubSNAP Photography Forums

B+W MASSIVE SALE! UV,CPL,GRAD,ND,IR Filters. Various size available. - ClubSNAP Photography Forums

Hoya: All New HD filters - ClubSNAP Photography Forums
I will agree with Darren.
12-05-2009, 06:36 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For example,

Cathay Photo (Peninsula Plaza, Marina Square)
Alan Photo (Sim Lim Square 1st floor, Funan)
Orient Photo (Sim Lim Square 6th floor)
TK Foto (Shaw Tower)
Manly Dept Store (Chinatown)
SLR Revolution (Funan)

Yes, avoid places like Sim Lim Square and Lucky Plaza and Funan like the Plague. Follow what darren has recommended as those shops are the safest to buy from...
01-13-2010, 01:32 PM   #11
nah

Original Poster
I just got back a few days ago and it was definitely tough looking for stuff there. There's hardly any Pentax stuff and if there were, they were the lower end stuff. I did find a couple of places for filters, but the prices weren't that great. Pretty close to the prices I'd pay from Maxsaver, so I didn't bother buying anything. Plus they could tell I was a foreigner and totally try to rip me off at certain stores without listed prices.