Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2009, 03:56 PM   #1

K10d - still a viable upgrade?

My initial impressions were that a natural upgrade/progression from the K100D would be the K20 (or Samsung GX20). Unfortunately the K7 is way out of my league, whilst the K10 could be deemed 'dated'.

However 2 things have now thrown a spanner in the works, namely the Kx and the prices used K10's sell for. I've been leaning towards the Kx now for several reasons, however I came within minutes of purchasing a used K10 the other day, but missed out (price was so competitive).

So, how does the K10 compare in this day and age, against the other two, K20 and Kx? In the UK the GX20 and Kx can be purchased for more or less the same price, with the K20 slightly higher. Good, used k10's are going for less than half the price.

If buying new I would go for the Kx, but good used bargains also turn the head.

All comments welcome.

Regards.
Adrian

12-05-2009, 12:44 AM   #2

The answer really depends on why you want to upgrade your camera to begin with. Consumer electronics have a great way of making you feel like you need to upgrade, simply because there's something better out. In times like these, however, you really need to sit down and figure out what you find lacking in your current camera, and what features you want in your new one.

Do you want better ISO? Video? A bigger, brighter viewfinder? Extra on body controls? Weather proofing? For example, when I upgraded to a K10D I did so because I was unhappy with the menu-based metering selection of the K100D, and because I wanted the pentaprism viewfinder.

As for whether or not the K10D is still viable, that once again depends on what you're looking for. The JPEG engine is abysmal, and the ISO performance and white balance lags behind the newer models. Nevertheless, the introduction of newer cameras doesn't make the K10D any less excellent ergonomically. Also, if you shoot raw, every time new software comes out it's like retroactively upgrading your camera.

Improvements to auto white balance and chroma noise reduction in raw developers have left me totally satisfied with the output of my K10D (and the K100D I had before it). I really like the tonality these sensors produce, and the ISO performance is adequate for the majority of my shots.

In the end, I guess it can be broken down like this: If you are happy with the handling of your K100D and are looking solely for improved sensor performance (and/or video) get the K-x. If you want an improved sensor, but want a more professional body, get a K20D. If you only care about ergonomics and handling and are unhappy with K100D in this category only, get a K10D.
12-05-2009, 08:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Adrian 3 bits of advice , well three come to mind ,
1.Read all the reviews you can find on both k10 and the kx, look at the features controls, viewfinder displays and other displays and so one and compare to your current body. You will begin subconsciously start to get a favourite start to come to mind.
2 now go a shop and hold them both , turn them round;feel it,squeeze it; weigh it;and play shooting both models and see which one feels right , believe me one will. [assuming the shop has a k10 if not try a k20] if there is A K 10 there put a card in both shoot a pile of shots in out of the shop . if you are still aren't sure sure put a refundable deposit down, if needs be, go home and look at the images. be sure you tried to use the same settings and subjects.
3 most important do not listen to anyone but your heart.!! no one but you knows what is best for you. no one can probably tell you any more than the reviews have.
this last one will cause some shots accross my bows I suspect but its like your tastes in other things in life it's you who have to live with the choice [ if you love that blue tie with pink spots and elephants on it wear, to h**l with them all!!
Alistair
ex k100d owner which I realy enjoyed and now a very happy k10 d owner

Last edited by adwb; 12-05-2009 at 08:34 AM. Reason: cant spell
12-05-2009, 09:25 AM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The above points are excellent.
I have both the K10D and K20D - I use them both for most photo situations, but leave the long exposures for the K10D and high ISO jobs for the K20D. The K100D is also a good camera in that its sensor rates very well for both long exposure and high ISO performance (a useable ISO 1600 as opposed to the less impressive ISO 1600 of the K10D).

So assess what you really want out of your upgrade and you'll find the answer coming quite quickly whether it's the K10D or the K20D that you need.

12-05-2009, 10:23 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the K10D. It was my first DSLR after jumping from film. I am completely satisfied with it and have no plans to "upgrade" anytime soon. It does everything I need it to do. I would love to be able to afford an "upgrade" every 18 mos. to 2 years but camera bodies aren't cheap. Actually, upgrading to a newer, although dated model either used or refurbished is a cheaper way to do it. Most of my "upgrading" for the near future involves my lens collection.
12-05-2009, 10:46 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I currently use a K20D and a K100D. Unfortunately, the K100D is showing its age. Great camera nonetheless, but it was time to upgrade.

I recently purchased a K10D for the bigger viewfinder (Real important to me) and to match the ergonomics and feel of the K20D. K7 is out of my range, and Kx, while nice, doesn't have the nice pentaprism. Plus, k10D's can be had for cheap!
12-14-2009, 04:37 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
Adrian 3 bits of advice , well three come to mind ,
1.Read all the reviews you can find on both k10 and the kx, look at the features controls, viewfinder displays and other displays and so one and compare to your current body. You will begin subconsciously start to get a favourite start to come to mind.
2 now go a shop and hold them both , turn them round;feel it,squeeze it; weigh it;and play shooting both models and see which one feels right , believe me one will. [assuming the shop has a k10 if not try a k20] if there is A K 10 there put a card in both shoot a pile of shots in out of the shop . if you are still aren't sure sure put a refundable deposit down, if needs be, go home and look at the images. be sure you tried to use the same settings and subjects.
3 most important do not listen to anyone but your heart.!! no one but you knows what is best for you. no one can probably tell you any more than the reviews have.
this last one will cause some shots accross my bows I suspect but its like your tastes in other things in life it's you who have to live with the choice [ if you love that blue tie with pink spots and elephants on it wear, to h**l with them all!!
Alistair
ex k100d owner which I realy enjoyed and now a very happy k10 d owner
Thanks for all your comments and advice, as always greatly appreciated; I conclude that the K10D is held in great esteem by many a Pentaxian.

Unfortunately in my part of the world camera shops are quite scarce, so being able to see live Pentax gear is a non-starter (shops like Currys stock a few DSLR's, again no Pentax).

I have since found a great price for a Kx, and have finally given in and ordered one. A big factor (excuse the pun) for me is the size of the camera, seeing as I have very small hands. The Kx won't be bigger than the K100D, no problems there, and it should handle fairly similar; I will be able to find out fairly soon!

Regards
Adrian

12-15-2009, 08:18 AM   #8

RAW software

QuoteOriginally posted by Kirivon Quote
Improvements to auto white balance and chroma noise reduction in raw developers have left me totally satisfied with the output of my K10D (and the K100D I had before it).
Which raw developers would you recommend in particuar? -Thanks
12-15-2009, 05:04 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I have a K10D and a KM. Like both, but find the KM is better high ISO then the K10D. But I do a lot of outdoor wildlife photography in Canada, where it's cold...lot's of snow...conditions that call for a rugged, substantial camera.

When the going gets rough, I invariably take the tank like K10D. So far in three Canadian winters and taking it out in the bush, it hasn't failed me yet.

I use the KM more for indoor shots, nice sunny days outdoors in the city and when I'm with polite society.

Last edited by lesmore49; 12-15-2009 at 05:12 PM.