Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2011, 12:03 AM   #256
Veteran Member

Original Poster
All flash shots -1 to - 1.3 stop flash comp ISO500 (hundred, not thousand) Tv at 1/6sec. -

11-16-2011, 02:31 PM   #257

Alright, I finally got a moment to sit down and I posted the information I had available to share in my original post of pics.
11-16-2011, 05:23 PM   #258
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by therevslady Quote
Alright, I finally got a moment to sit down and I posted the information I had available to share in my original post of pics.
Very cool!

Thanks so much for taking the time to follow up with that interesting information.

Thank you,
11-16-2011, 05:57 PM   #259
Veteran Member

Recent K-x stuff

2 shots from my K-x using off-camera flash (1 of a room-mate and 1 of a friends jewellery) and 1 from inside a sculpture at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park (Highly recommended!!)...

K-x is super-capable!!

Last edited by DaveHolmes; 02-09-2012 at 03:53 PM.
11-17-2011, 11:54 AM   #260
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
2 shots from my K-x using off-camera flash (1 of a room-mate and 1 of a friends jewellery) and 1 from inside a sculpture at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park (Highly recommended!!)...
Very interesting pictures - many thanks for posting those -
do you by any chance still have the originals and their EXIF information, please?

PhotoME - Exif, IPTC & ICC Metadata Editor is a very useful utility for the PC to look at EXIF and lots of other useful information.

Posting photos with width less than 800pixels helps prevent sideways scrolling on this forum.

Thanks,
11-17-2011, 03:50 PM   #261
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
Very interesting pictures - many thanks for posting those -
do you by any chance still have the originals and their EXIF information, please?
Origial files are elsewhere (I'm at my partners tonight) but...

Portrait is at f5.8 1/180 iso100 using Tamron17-50 and cropped
Neckace at f8 1/180 iso 100 using FA50 and cropped
Not sure on sculpture park shot but deffo Tamron 17-50 again...
11-17-2011, 08:14 PM   #262
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
quick question... is the k-x's sensor the same as the one in the D300? as far as I know it's the same as the one in the D90...
11-17-2011, 09:22 PM   #263
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
as far as I know it's the same as the one in the D90
That is correct. The K-x, the D90 and the D5000 share the same sensor.

11-19-2011, 10:24 AM   #264

I posted some of these in the high ISO thread.
I credit this very thread with the success of my first concert photography experience. I bought the 135mm M42 after reading this thread, and this concert is the first chance I've had to use it. It was the perfect lens. Thank you, folks.
The line-up was Michael Williams Band followed by Indigenous with Buddy Guy headlining. The venue is the Keswick Theatre in Glenside, PA (one of the best houses on the East Coast, imho). The show was this past Wednesday November 16th, 2011. I was seated in front row, on right side of the house(off stageleft)
K-x
Super Takumar M42 135mm f3.5
ISO 12800
Full set here: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjwLHEcT

Michael Williams

Indigenous

Buddy Guy

11-19-2011, 10:39 AM   #265
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by spanky Quote
I credit this very thread with the success of my first concert photography experience. I bought the 135mm M42 after reading this thread, and this concert is the first chance I've had to use it. It was the perfect lens. Thank you, folks.
The line-up was Michael Williams Band followed by Indigenous with Buddy Guy headlining. The venue is the Keswick Theatre in Glenside, PA (one of the best houses on the East Coast, imho). The show was this past Wednesday November 16th, 2011. I was seated in front row, on right side of the house(off stageleft)
K-x
Super Takumar M42 135mm f3.5
ISO 12800
Nicely done.

What sort of shutter speeds were you getting, at what aperture(s), please?

Even better if you wouldn't mind please posting some of the EXIF information?

PhotoME - Exif, IPTC & ICC Metadata Editor probably one of the most recommended s/w for viewing EXIF and other interesting information.
11-19-2011, 11:08 AM   #266

QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
Even better if you wouldn't mind please posting some of the EXIF information?
I was shooting a few stops off 3.5, but I can not tell you exactly the apertures I was shooting in each picture. Here is the info I do have.

In the same order as above:

Michael Williams

Indigenous

Buddy Guy (color)

Buddy Guy b/w

Last edited by spanky; 11-21-2011 at 05:11 PM. Reason: changed image server
11-19-2011, 04:07 PM   #267
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by spanky Quote
I was shooting a few stops off 3.5, but I can not tell you exactly the apertures I was shooting in each picture. Here is the info I do have.
Thank you so much for posting your EXIF information.

Did you shoot with set/fixed ISO or AutoISO?
11-19-2011, 05:04 PM   #268

No problem. Thank you so much for your interest.
The ISO was fixed. I obviously shot one of these at 6400 in the beginning of the first set, but I upped the ISO to 12800 early on.

I've been to literally hundreds of concerts in my 41 years and I now can not believe I never took a camera before. Thanks again guys/gals, for the inspiration and the information.

This one is my favorite, so far:
75 Years Young

Last edited by spanky; 11-19-2011 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Add image Add exif
11-19-2011, 09:16 PM   #269
Pentaxian

spanky, you're images have come out great, especially considering you are doing manual focus in poor light AND extreme ISO. Doing either of those can often be the path to lots of dud shots, at least in my experience , so you did well.

And I agree that this thread of UnknownVT's is a mine of useful information for concert/gig shooting. I often go back over it to help me deal with some post processing challenges, or get some new ideas.
11-20-2011, 08:43 PM   #270

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
spanky, you're images have come out great, especially considering you are doing manual focus in poor light AND extreme ISO. Doing either of those can often be the path to lots of dud shots, at least in my experience , so you did well. And I agree that this thread of UnknownVT's is a mine of useful information for concert/gig shooting. I often go back over it to help me deal with some post processing challenges, or get some new ideas.
Thank you rawr. Thank you very much. I DID have a lot of duds.
As far as post goes, I think I this has helped me to identify a weakness in my workflow. I use ufraw and with these images I've had to darken the exposure a lot to avoid vignetting. It is not something I've noticed before, but it is really annoying me now.