Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2009, 08:38 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DonP Quote
That's not true at all. Despite all of the posts of people having trouble with batteries, NO ONE has had their K-X not able to power up and be green when using decent batteries that have been charged properly. Some batteries did not work but everyone was able to to use their camera successfully.

The OP was able to keep his camera running for way longer than the firmware update process should take. Either he didn't follow the procedure correctly or there was something else that occurred during the update to cause it to fail. He should take/send the camera back from where it came for a replacement.
Definitely it could be a case of incorrect procedure, but if it were me - with all the reported K-x battery issues - that would be the case I would make to Pentax to get warranty coverage.

12-06-2009, 03:30 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Knowing that many customers' and especially first time Pentax owners' have had problems with batteries in their K-X, I'd hope Pentax would cover these incidents under warranty as it seems the right thing to do. A little goodwill goes a long way.
12-06-2009, 03:44 PM   #18
Veteran Member

It's kind of sad too that new owners of Pentax AA powered DSLRs never discover Hybrid batteries right away and just use the regular ones, more so that I think firmware updates zaps up a lot of power.
That is why it is also always recommended to use the DC power line-in rather than batteries more so that the K-x has known battery issues.
I feel for all you who have bricked their cameras!
12-08-2009, 11:32 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I took it to the nearest Pentax approved service center (united camera repair in IL), and they told me the camera was so new they couldn't fix it on site. So they are sending it to Pentax for repairs directly. I will let you guys know how everything works out for me. This transaction will make or break future Pentax purchases for me. I was always a Nikon guy before, but just wasn't impressed with their entry level model's...

I would gladly pay 30 dollars more for a camera with a second memory bank so this could be avoided in the future. If a product needs updating there should be a way of backing up the data before an update...

12-09-2009, 07:18 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Sadly, I'll guess $200 service charge & minimum 6 weeks turn around

Sadly, I'll guess $200 service charge and minimum 6 weeks turn around. When your camera gets to Pentax Colorado it'll then get shipped off to CRIS in Arizona. Pentax no longer repairs their own cameras, lenses, ect. Pentax USA own repairs facility was shut down earlier this year.

I hope it works out well for you.

QuoteOriginally posted by raver1414 Quote
I took it to the nearest Pentax approved service center (united camera repair in IL), and they told me the camera was so new they couldn't fix it on site. So they are sending it to Pentax for repairs directly. I will let you guys know how everything works out for me. This transaction will make or break future Pentax purchases for me. I was always a Nikon guy before, but just wasn't impressed with their entry level model's...

I would gladly pay 30 dollars more for a camera with a second memory bank so this could be avoided in the future. If a product needs updating there should be a way of backing up the data before an update...
12-09-2009, 07:24 AM   #21
Inactive Account

It's unfortunate you had trouble and will be without a camera for awhile. It really is a great camera in many respects even without taking into consideration it's price point. I didn't find anything interesting in the Nikon lineup, either, up to the D90 and that was outside of my budget.

I'm sure Pentax will take care of you. You'll either have this camera unbricked and new firmware installed or they will swap the camera for another one with the new firmware. Either case will mean the end of any marginal battery issues and a win for you.
12-09-2009, 08:11 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I still think you should have returneed the camera to the dealer and ask for an exchange. The thing was brand new, and your problem shouldn't have happened. For what it is worth, I would contest any charge Pentax might ask for the repair. It is not normal for the camera to conk out in the middle of an update with new batteries.
12-09-2009, 09:12 AM   #23
Veteran Member

agreed

agreed.

Pentax sells the returnablity of Dslr and lenses for whatever reason. His Cameta K-x would have then shipped off to CRIS from Cameta with whatever other defective gear they've accumulated and buyer would have had another K-x inhand for holidays or a refund to live to shop with another day.

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
I still think you should have returneed the camera to the dealer and ask for an exchange. The thing was brand new, and your problem shouldn't have happened. For what it is worth, I would contest any charge Pentax might ask for the repair. It is not normal for the camera to conk out in the middle of an update with new batteries.

12-09-2009, 11:37 AM   #24
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
It doesn't do any good to browbeat the OP - it's water under thew bridge now that his K-X is on its way to Pentax. I'm sure he feels bad enough that his camera failed during the update and he cannot enjoy it. The advice to contest any charges was good, though.