Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2009, 06:12 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K-x bricked after 1.01 update

So i updated to firmware 1.01 update on my K-x. I had new engergizer lithium's in it, and it froze up on the step one. I left it on for about 10 hours while it tried to update. It was on a fresh sd card and everything.

Now even with fresh batteries nothing happens at all when you turn it on. Any sort of master reset on these, or am I just screwed?

12-04-2009, 06:19 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unfortunately you're going to have to send it back. How new is the camera? Did you update directly to the camera or to the card and then the camera?
12-04-2009, 06:33 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I got the camera last night. and i put the firmware on the card and then put the card in the camera.

That really sucks. Do you know how long pentax usually takes to get your camera back to you after service?
12-04-2009, 06:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Return it to the store where you bought it and tell them it's defective. They should replace it right away, since you just bought it. Don't let them tell you they'll send it for a repair. Just tell them you paid for it, so you want one that works properly. End of the story.

12-04-2009, 06:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Did you try formatting the card, and redoing the whole process once more?
12-04-2009, 06:56 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I just read the readme file, and it says if the firmware fails because of battery failure, I have to pay a service charge. They wouldn't charge me since it was left on for 12 hours and froze would they?

And I would return it to the store, but I ordered online from cameta camera in a bundle, and it would be easier to just send to pentax I think.

Also, I tried reformating and everything, but the camera does nothing, and as far as i can tell there is no power anywhere

This really sucks, was my first DSLR, makes me miss film...
12-04-2009, 07:01 PM   #7
Forum Member

Sorry to hear of your misadventure. Since it's bricked anyway, perhaps u wanna try all kinds of method to revive.
Say...Turning it on without lens mounted (heard that helped reset the battery sensing when the K-x had earlier problems detecting).....or Turning it on with [Menu] button pressed....or remove the batteries and wait for like 30min before re-inserting and trying again.....or remove the SD card and try.... etc.

12-04-2009, 07:08 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks noel, I was just about to start trying ridiculous combos. You think you could anticipate this problem and have some sort of default or reset, so you could at least get something on a card and reload it...

Just stinks because I was so excited to get it, and it took great pictures last night, I just got sick of the battery thing. Go to update firmware, and now I have a really expensive paper weight...

Oh well, as long as they dont charge me for repair I will be OK...
12-04-2009, 07:17 PM   #9
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You followed the rights steps for installation of the update.
You should not be held liable to the failure.
Send it back to your store for a replacement.
12-04-2009, 07:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sorry to hear that!
QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
Return it to the store where you bought it and tell them it's defective. They should replace it right away, since you just bought it. Don't let them tell you they'll send it for a repair. Just tell them you paid for it, so you want one that works properly. End of the story.
This.
12-04-2009, 09:01 PM   #11
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I'm with Ash, return it for a replacement camera. You followed all the proper instructions and it shouldn't have happened. This will also be a lot faster than waiting for a repair.
12-05-2009, 11:31 PM   #12

Photos: Albums
Good luck with trying to get it replaced.
Firmware updates are done at your risk and not covered under warrenty.

My K100D did the same thing, and Pentax would not quote repair without me sending it to them. I did a search on here and repairs are $350.00. Thats more than twice what the body is worth.
I just bought a used K10D for about the same ammount and am very happy with it.
12-06-2009, 02:38 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rodneya Quote
Firmware updates are done at your risk and not covered under warranty.
Where did you read that?
I believe you are spreading wrong information.

The readme file that comes with the update only excludes one case from warranty, this is if you are using not fully charged batteries.

QuoteOriginally posted by rodneya Quote
My K100D did the same thing, and Pentax would not quote repair without me sending it to them. I did a search on here and repairs are $350.00. Thats more than twice what the body is worth.
But who said they will charge that price?
Do you still have the camera?
12-06-2009, 07:58 AM   #14

Photos: Gallery
Catch-22. You need the firmware update to cure the battery issue; the battery issue prevents successful firmware update.
12-06-2009, 08:08 AM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by JayBee Quote
Catch-22. You need the firmware update to cure the battery issue; the battery issue prevents successful firmware update.
That's not true at all. Despite all of the posts of people having trouble with batteries, NO ONE has had their K-X not able to power up and be green when using decent batteries that have been charged properly. Some batteries did not work but everyone was able to to use their camera successfully.

The OP was able to keep his camera running for way longer than the firmware update process should take. Either he didn't follow the procedure correctly or there was something else that occurred during the update to cause it to fail. He should take/send the camera back from where it came for a replacement.