Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2009, 10:39 PM   #1

Drawbacks to using D-Range in the K-7?

Are there any image quality problems that I should look for when using the D-Range corrections on the K-7?

12-05-2009, 12:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It disables the usage of ISO 100, and iso noise levels are more visible in shadows. I just turn mine off and correct it in Adobe Photoshop; the only thing I use is distortion correction and chromatic aberration correction.
12-05-2009, 11:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Hi stuskier,

I use Highlight Correction quite a bit while shooting birds in bright sunlit conditions. There are the downsides of higher base ISO and increased noise, but the advantage of being able to prevent a lot of highlight blowouts with birds with white or yellow feathers in situations where the light varies greatly, and there's little time for exposure corrections, far outweighs the possible IQ penalties. Noise I can deal with in PP, blown highlights are a lot harder, if not impossible to fix.

For other subjects and conditions, I usually turn it off though. . .

Scott
12-05-2009, 01:16 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi stuskier,

I use Highlight Correction quite a bit while shooting birds in bright sunlit conditions. There are the downsides of higher base ISO and increased noise, but the advantage of being able to prevent a lot of highlight blowouts with birds with white or yellow feathers in situations where the light varies greatly, and there's little time for exposure corrections, far outweighs the possible IQ penalties. Noise I can deal with in PP, blown highlights are a lot harder, if not impossible to fix.

For other subjects and conditions, I usually turn it off though. . .

Scott
Hi Scott,

I just bought the K7 ... 2 days ago, I do most of my photos on bird/wildlife and I see that you deal with noise in PP. However, those past two days have been a "testing" and learning curve with the K7.
What software/technique do you use for noise reduction?
Do you shoot RAW? (I always do).
Doesn't Highlight Correction apply only when shooting JPEG or am I mistaken?

I am certainly not new to photography and Pentax but this K7 is all new to me and quite different to use ...

Thanks,

JP

12-05-2009, 02:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Aside from disabling ISO 100 and the increased noise, the other disadvantage is that, being inherently a PP technique, it limits you to shooting JPEG or processing with PPL.
12-05-2009, 10:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
What software/technique do you use for noise reduction?
Do you shoot RAW? (I always do).
Doesn't Highlight Correction apply only when shooting JPEG or am I mistaken?

I am certainly not new to photography and Pentax but this K7 is all new to me and quite different to use ...

Thanks,

JP
Highlight Correction works at Exposure level, and affects the RAW file.
The downside is that the darkest shadow areas are effectively underexposed, so there is more noise there.

The other D-range control, Shadow Correction is software based, though the data is embedded in the RAW file, and the Pentax software can read it, if you wish to apply the setting to the RAW output.

I use Silkypix PRO, having recently upgraded from Silkypix 3.0. The Noise Reduction function is pretty good. You have control over Luminance Noise, Chroma Noise, as well as how much High Frequency noise to reduce, which controls how much detail you trade off vs. Noise.
NoiseWare is also very good.