Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2009, 10:11 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote
When looking at the user pictures, you'll find that they are both capable of producing excellent images, as well as crappy ones.
That's part of my point. All cameras are capable of good and bad images; there really isn't much difference. The reivews go to great lengths to quantify what are basically inconsequential difference in image quality. The stuff that's actually different between cameras is what you can read in spec sheets and in user comments. And of course, much of what is not in the spec sheets is subjective - which is the other part of my point. There's really no particular reason to put a ton of weight on whether the guy at dpreview says a camera grip is comfortable or not (for instance). He's not you, any more than than the dozens of other users who have posted their opinions are you.

In short:

- objective stuff you can get from the spec sheets
- subjective stuff you can get from other users, and take it all with a grain of salt
- reviews are good at going on and on about what are the most insignificant of differences

Not to say there is *no* value in a review - I read them too - but really, people put *way* too much stock in them.

12-06-2009, 10:16 PM   #17
Pentaxian

They need more time to find flaws to say about a flawless camera in it's class.
12-06-2009, 10:37 PM   #18
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote
How come they are taking so long and haven't even released a PROPER hands-on preview, with samples and so.

I hope they at least do it with the new firmware then.

Many people would avoid this camera just because of this.
Are they waiting for latest canon and nikon cameras to reach some sales/visit count to let the public know more about other cameras ?
Did you ask DPReview?
12-06-2009, 10:46 PM   #19
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
They need more time to find flaws to say about a flawless camera in it's class.
Can you justify that statement? I've seen a lot of talk about battery issues and there's a thread discussing a wishlist to be included in firmware.

12-07-2009, 05:16 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

Reviews are only worth so much. How many times have you loved a movie that got slammed by the reviewers? They were honest, but they didn't come to it from the same perspective that you did and so their take on it was completely different.

Specs only tell part of the story. I would rather have a camera that is a little slower, not quite as good at high iso, but that I enjoy using and handling and that is exactly the sort of thing that a reviewer can't tell me.
12-07-2009, 05:33 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
That's part of my point. All cameras are capable of good and bad images; there really isn't much difference. The reivews go to great lengths to quantify what are basically inconsequential difference in image quality. The stuff that's actually different between cameras is what you can read in spec sheets and in user comments. And of course, much of what is not in the spec sheets is subjective - which is the other part of my point. There's really no particular reason to put a ton of weight on whether the guy at dpreview says a camera grip is comfortable or not (for instance). He's not you, any more than than the dozens of other users who have posted their opinions are you.

In short:

- objective stuff you can get from the spec sheets
- subjective stuff you can get from other users, and take it all with a grain of salt
- reviews are good at going on and on about what are the most insignificant of differences

Not to say there is *no* value in a review - I read them too - but really, people put *way* too much stock in them.
I have to agree with Marc here.

Reviews are useful only for telling if the camera actually meets the claimed specs, nothing more. As long as it does, the rest of the review is pretty much useless because everyone's needs are different and values a different set of features differently.

There are tons of people happy with the Kx. It's a good camera. Any particular question the OP might have regarding its operation can be quickly solved in the forum.
12-07-2009, 06:44 AM   #22

I also agree with marc.
When i read user reviews i find i have to read lots of them and just average out the cons and pros for myself as you find some people find one bad thing and give a horrible review and some find one good thing and just praise the thing.
Also something i found with reviews on the K7 were that near all of them talked very little or none at all about how solid, durable and comfortable it is, which is the main reasons why i bought it.

Still i started my pentax journey after looking at reviews and seeing many a great one about the k200D =D
12-07-2009, 10:27 AM   #23
Veteran Member

simple - it is not just yes or no....

I read as many reviews as I can on any camera I am interested in -
most of which I have no intention of buying.
To me the more I can read about them the better informed I am -
and the better the criteria I have to make up my own mind.

Some reviews are better than others - I rate very highly those from:

Imaging-Resource because of their consistent standardized test sample images
(their posting of those for the Kx was enough for me to be convinced);

dpReview for their take on noise comparisons;

dcResource for their sometimes insightful take -

and even
Popular Photography for their AF speeds at different light levels.

No single site/source is all encompassing - but I tend to get something out of most.

So for me, I look forward to dpReview's take - even though I have already committed and bought my Kx -
if however, they never review the Kx - I would miss it -
but would not cry over it either.

12-07-2009, 11:03 AM   #24
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Can you justify that statement? I've seen a lot of talk about battery issues and there's a thread discussing a wishlist to be included in firmware.
Pentax released K-x firmaware 1.01 and DipReview made sure to announce that.

Pentax releases K-x firmware v1.01: Digital Photography Review

From Pentax:

QuoteQuote:
Changes to V1.01

• Added three kinds of particular effect shooting function (Pre-set 1,2 and 3) on [Cross Processing].
  • Added assignment of Cross Processing function to the green button.
  • Improved accuracy of Battery Level Indicator under specific conditions and improved stability for general performance.
12-07-2009, 11:26 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Okay Okay fine They need more time to find a K-x that doesn't have battery issues
12-07-2009, 11:31 AM   #26

For what its worth, I contacted Cnet about a possible forthcoming review. And while I don't put a ton of stock in their reviews, their response was interesting. Apparently, they get their cameras from the manufacturer itself. I think its a loaner. This is their response,
"They are waiting on Pentax to deliver the K-x as well as the K-7 so they can review it.

Some manufacturers are pretty slow to deliver their products to them for review... not sure why, but it happens quite often.

Hopefully they will have it soon."

I don't know how DPreview obtains their products, but this might be the issue for them as well. I know Consumer Reports buys all of their products for review, but this might not be practical for everyone.

Cheers
12-07-2009, 11:48 AM   #27
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Okay Okay fine They need more time to find a K-x that doesn't have battery issues
If they make a flawless camera, how can they make it better. The mugs, sorry I mean guinea pigs, sorry I mean fan boys, sorry I mean customers won't buy the next camera they make so the company goes bust and your flawless camera becomes obsolete with no support.
It's bad strategy to make something that works as it should. It's cheaper for the manufacturer to get the product into the consumers hands and fix any problems that arise as they arise. Bad for the consumer but then again the consumer is at fault for allowing this kind of thing to happen.