Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2009, 05:08 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Why K-x is not dpreviewed yet?

How come they are taking so long and haven't even released a PROPER hands-on preview, with samples and so.

I hope they at least do it with the new firmware then.

Many people would avoid this camera just because of this.
Are they waiting for latest canon and nikon cameras to reach some sales/visit count to let the public know more about other cameras ?

12-05-2009, 05:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Who cares what dpreview says? I already have my K-x.

The issue about dpreview reviews being linked to some deal with Canon / Nikon is no doubt not correct.

But ever since dpreview was bought by Amazon.com, such questions have taken on a certain legitimacy. Kickbacks, commissions and all sorts of various 'commerical arrangements' are certainly not unknown between big retailers and vendors. So when the biggest camera review site is also owned by the biggest online camera retailer, it is fair to question what influences their review processes and decision making. It would be like Consumer Reports being owned by WalMart.

Having said that, their reports are always pretty fair, technically based and quite objective. Maybe their review production pipeline is just held up by the usual things: too many things to do, too few people to do them, limited resources, too little time.
12-05-2009, 06:21 AM   #3
Forum Member

Actually I'm more anticipating a review by Dcresource, i find them less biased, and their ISO tests are great for the non-tech.
12-05-2009, 06:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Probably the last point is the case. The canon nikon thing was just the usual kidding .

Well, but if i was to buy a new dslr now, i'd hesitate to pick K-x, just because of this. I think they are the only one to provide such comparable, objective and unbiased testing, still always trying to point out the unique differences in each product, if it is the cause of some preceived downside.
I've even heard some people telling, that if a camera hasn't been reviewed by dpreview, it's not camera worth looking at.

12-05-2009, 06:55 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote

The issue about dpreview reviews being linked to some deal with Canon / Nikon is no doubt not correct.

But ever since dpreview was bought by Amazon.com, such questions have taken on a certain legitimacy. Kickbacks, commissions and all sorts of various 'commerical arrangements' are certainly not unknown between big retailers and vendors. So when the biggest camera review site is also owned by the biggest online camera retailer, it is fair to question what influences their review processes and decision making. It would be like Consumer Reports being owned by WalMart.

Having said that, their reports are always pretty fair, technically based and quite objective. Maybe their review production pipeline is just held up by the usual things: too many things to do, too few people to do them, limited resources, too little time.
I would hope that ownership of the review site would not in any way influence the reviews but there have been a few "scandals" around some of the game sites when the reviewer was fired for giving a not too good review of a new game by one of the sites larger advertisers. This kind of thing can happen no matter who owns the site.
12-05-2009, 07:08 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote
Probably the last point is the case. The canon nikon thing was just the usual kidding .

Well, but if i was to buy a new dslr now, i'd hesitate to pick K-x, just because of this..

DPreview also has discussion forums that provide excellent user input. Personaly, I value it more then official reviews. Reading there Pentax DSLR session and this forum convinced me to by K-x.

12-05-2009, 08:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by esoxLucius42 Quote
DPreview also has discussion forums that provide excellent user input. Personaly, I value it more then official reviews. Reading there Pentax DSLR session and this forum convinced me to by K-x.

Thats good to hear, and welcome to the forum as well!

A note regarding a review at dpreview - I can already picture it opening with a big hubub about the battery issue in 20 point font, then everyone getting po'd and what not. following that, a glowing review will be posted that nobody will listen to because they're too po'd about the battery issue being addressed (which is pretty obviously isolated, and has now been addressed via the firmware update...which will receive a one line editors note at the bottom of the scandalous page long diatribe).

12-05-2009, 09:40 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I am always torn with DPR, the Pentax forumsers do over react but for all their technical nous DPR shoots themselves in the foot time and time again via the following ....

- They still think it's 2002 and that pulling apart jpg IQ at 100% with 4 bazillion megapixels really matters. It doesn't, IQ is a wash at the same sensor size.

- They pay virtually no attention to usability issues, how the Pentax AF was not critisized before the K7 is beyond me.

- Their rating system is somewhere between absurd and plain stupid

- They refuse to call a spade a spade, see DCResource for proper language.
12-05-2009, 10:05 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote
I've even heard some people telling, that if a camera hasn't been reviewed by dpreview, it's not camera worth looking at.
I'm still searching that site for Hasselblad reviews... should I get an Agfa instead?

I don't think dpreview is biased. I really don't. But, coincidentally, the K-x is 'dangerous' for the competition - a successful product that sells well. So they will find some horrible faults, when they would bother to test it. Yep, the battery issue is a good start... next, let's see... soft jpegs?
12-05-2009, 09:27 PM   #10
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Actually, I am interested in what they say, and don't have a K-x yet... although I am 90%+ sure I will get one... I'd like to read there analysis as sort of a confirmation before I purchase. $600+ is no small issue for my "fun budget"...

QuoteQuote:
But ever since dpreview was bought by Amazon.com, such questions have taken on a certain legitimacy....
Whoa - didn't know that...
12-05-2009, 09:36 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Optical Illusion Quote
Whoa - didn't know that...
dpreview has been in Amazon's pocket, in a manner of speaking , since 2007:

Amazon.com acquires dpreview.com: Digital Photography Review
12-05-2009, 11:15 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noel Quote
Actually I'm more anticipating a review by Dcresource, i find them less biased, and their ISO tests are great for the non-tech.
I also like dcResource - because they can sometimes be very insightful.

But unfortunately they do not have the Kx scheduled -
see their upcoming reviews page -
" The DCRP reviews anywhere from 2-6 new cameras a month. If a camera isn't on here yet, then I probably don't know when I'll be getting a review unit, and therefore I can't give a definitive date. Please refrain from asking me when I will review a specific camera. "

However I think Imaging-Resource are going to do a review of the Kx,
as they have already posted their Kx test sample images.
12-06-2009, 02:09 AM   #13
Inactive Account

I'm a huge fan of Imaging Resource as I find that their reviews are very thorough and detailed.
12-06-2009, 09:59 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What I don't get is what one could possibly expect to learn form a review that isn't completely obvious by now from the spec sheet, from zillions of user comments, from zillions of posted test images, etc.
12-06-2009, 10:39 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Information from users is not directly comparable.
Reviews such as dpreview let you see exactly how the k-x is better and why doesn't costs the same as 150$ ..istD..

When looking at the user pictures, you'll find that they are both capable of producing excellent images, as well as crappy ones. That tells very little about the camera.

And when going to extremes, in some cases, from such reviews you could learn all you may know about a camera before you receive one from order online. I, for example, haven't yet seen the K-x in any of the local photo stores, many have dropped Pentax completely, so i don't have the exclusive chance to try one out in real life. And for most people i believe, purchases such as DSLR are far from cheap, so they require detailed insight and research.

Users often cover isolated aspects and focuses on features the like or are concerned about. Reviews give you complete description, analysis and details on all camera aspects. You'll rarely find detailed, comparable, descriptions on all features and aspects from users.

Last edited by ytterbium; 12-06-2009 at 10:46 AM.