Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2009, 05:22 PM   #1

No battery grip for the K-x... My solution!

I had the desire to want more battery life in my K-x and I was bored! My friend has a RP 3D printer, so I got to playing!

I designed a plug that replaces two batteries in the K-x with a pigtail to connect to a battery pack. This is essentially the same thing that comes with the AC adapter kit from Pentax (currently being unemployed, I have no money, but plenty of time!). The pigtails connect two AA x 4 battery packs purchased from radio shack wired in parallel. I used an old coiled telephone handset cord to go in between so I can put the battery pack in my pocket.

While I was at radio shack buying everything I noticed a 6v 1800 mA AC/DC converter on clearance for $3, so I bought that and the pigtails that go with it. So now for a grand total of $23, I have doubled the life of my batteries, and have the ability to plug into the wall.

PS: Just a prototype!

-Edit: Added the pictures

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
U1030SW,S1030SW  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
U1030SW,S1030SW  Photo 

Last edited by Capt Nemo O2; 12-05-2009 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Pictures didnt upload!
12-06-2009, 01:42 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Cool setup. It could be very handy - eg for situations where you are doing a lot of high-drain usage like video.
07-06-2011, 06:27 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Not to be a Grave Digger. But How did you get that battery mold and how is this mod going for you so far?
07-07-2011, 06:57 AM   #4
Veteran Member

How do you close the battery door with the wire there? Pic?
Thanks for posting. Good idea.

07-07-2011, 08:04 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gp1806 Quote
How do you close the battery door with the wire there?
The K-x has a little rubber boot near the battery door to allow the wires from the Pentax AC adapter to go through. That would also allow the wires for this solution to exit.
07-07-2011, 05:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
While I would like the extra battery life that this gives, I would rather have a grip for the size as I have large hands.

Has anyone tried to mount a k-7 or 3rd party grip to a k-x just to increase it's size?
07-08-2011, 05:25 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nomad Quote
While I would like the extra battery life that this gives, I would rather have a grip for the size as I have large hands.

Has anyone tried to mount a k-7 or 3rd party grip to a k-x just to increase it's size?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/147244-modify-k100d-grip-use-k-x.html

You could PM the OP here and ask how things are going.
10-09-2011, 10:46 AM   #8

So I am trying to make a similar adapter. so far I got an AC-->DC transormer that can output 6v/3Amp
I ve also bougth some AAA to AA shells like these eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
By seeing the official and the homemade adapter I assume that only 2 batteries have to be inserted in the second and in the third slot

This is my setup. the blue connections are in the camera already. I am not completely sure but I strongly believe that A+ and D- are connected. How does it seem. Do I need to solded anything else except B- and C+????

10-15-2011, 08:59 AM   #9
Site Supporter

could you please design one for my sigma dg500super? the last wedding I did we went through a ton of batteries

cheers and great designs
10-15-2011, 09:47 AM   #10

from what I found googling,, your flash uses 4 AA batteries. If you take a look and tell me what kind of contacts you see in the bottom and on the lid, it will be easier to help you with the design
10-15-2011, 10:14 AM   #11

If you want the extra weight from a grip, just add something below with same shape.

If you want it to behave like a grip who have some power in it, the simplest way is to change batteries
10-15-2011, 11:13 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StepOne Quote
If you want the extra weight from a grip, just add something below with same shape.

If you want it to behave like a grip who have some power in it, the simplest way is to change batteries
Suggestion:
Think back to the pre-digital (!) of the manual, but internally motor-driven, 35mm SLRs for which accessory winders, which usually took 4xAA cells, were available, and will now be dirt cheap.

Find a simple winder with the following characteristics:

1) NO vertical front grip and shutter release, which will foul against the "bulge" of the hand-grips on most modern DSLRs, (so the winders from my old MZ-5N or Chinon CE series are no good, but that for my old Praktika BC20 is almost ideal and fits quite nicely below the K-5 with no mods at all as I just found out!)

2) Has the tripod screw to secure it to the camera roughly in the same postion along the body as your DSLR (the BC20 winder position is about 10mm towards one end, and so overhangs at one end of the K-5 body by that amount)

3) Preferably, little in the way of a projecting drive shaft at the top - otherwise you might then have to remove that (again, the BC winder has virtually nothing above the top surface).
-
3) Modify the winder to route the 6VDC out by cable to the DC input on the DSLR (as per the first poster in this thread), and preferably remove/cutdown any existing power/signal output pins to avoid shorting the batteries in the winder (or put some self-adhesive tape over the tops)

4) Fit your 4xAA cells

This should then fit quite nicely to the DSLR and provide you with what you need both in terms of battery capacity and "weight" - albeit without the shutter-release!

Job done