Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2009, 05:52 PM   #1

Hi folks, I have some issues with K-x

Well, it might just be me but my eye's have a hard time reading the numbers in the viewfinder. My eyes wont "autofocus" to those numbers right. It's clear one moment and blurry the other. What do you recommend for something crazy like this. Initially I thought it was the camera, but now I think it's my own eyes. I wear glasses btw.

Thank You

12-05-2009, 05:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Have you adjusted the diopter on top of the view finder?
12-05-2009, 06:45 PM   #3

Original Poster
yes, I am aware of that slide. I have slid it to the right most position where i can see the best. But as mentioned, my eyes lose focus. Is it me or the camera? It's driving me nuts!

Thanks
12-05-2009, 07:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boodiespost Quote
yes, I am aware of that slide. I have slid it to the right most position where i can see the best. But as mentioned, my eyes lose focus. Is it me or the camera? It's driving me nuts!

Thanks
It's you, I'm afraid, or your glasses.

As the manual says (p-50) the viewfinder can be adjusted from -2.5 to +1.5 diopter.

I have glasses too and you need to spend some time to make sure you adjust the diopter slider until the autofocus frame is in focus, as well as the information panel at the bottom of the viewfinder. Do it while pointing the camera at a bright background. Since the AF frame and the information panel are the same distance away and on the same plane, any adjustment that brings the AF frame in focus should also bring the information panel into focus.

One scenario where I imagine this may not be the case however if you have glasses with lenses (eg bi-focals) that have different optical properties across the lens - eg where the top half has no magnification but the bottom half of the lens has strong magnification. In which case there is little that can be done to make the camera viewfinder fit the optical properties of your glasses lenses. You'll just have to learn to move your eyes around the viewfinder in a way that delivers a clear view.

If it is just a matter of needing an expanded diopter range, as the manual says (p-50) you can get the optional Pentax diopter correction lens adapter M, illustrated on p291, which will expand the diopter adjustment range to +5 to -3.

You might also try the magnifying eyepiece options discussed here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/camera-studio-accessories/46695-kps-1-3x-...-eyepiece.html

Hope this helps. Also if in doubt, you may need to bring the camera along to an optometrist and see if they can provide some suggestions about matching the viewfinder's properties up with your eyeglasses properties..

12-05-2009, 09:39 PM   #5

Original Poster
i appreciate your detailed reply, I still am not sure what it is since I don't think I have bi-focal eye glasses. But if it is me [and the fact that diopter is as far right as it can possibly go], I just might have to get another eyepiece. Thank you!