Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2009, 06:46 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Question Re: K-x a different kind of noise

Hi all,

I've recently bought a white K-x for my partner. We noticed a very (nay, extremly) loud noise when using the Live View and Video mode.

I know the noise is from the SR sensor mechnism, but it is so audiable it causes some alarm when it's turned on.

It sounds like the sensor is knocking into something, like a loud tapping noise. During Live View or Video this is extremly noticable, especially with a longer lens.

I also hear 3 or 4 knocks for sensor cleaning when the camera is turned on.

Is it normal? I mean if this is the way SR operates then fine but this constant knocking can't do the life of the mechanism any good?

Strangely when taking single shots with the SR on there is no noise.

Let me know what you think folks.

12-05-2009, 06:49 PM   #2

Original Poster
I have a more accurate description for the noise, it sounds like a loose panel of window glass that's being vibrated.
12-05-2009, 07:15 PM   #3
Pentaxian

It's the SR.

It is doing no harm to either the camera or the mechanism itself.

You can tell the camera not to run it for sensor cleaning at startup via the menu, and disable it for video and still photos too, if you prefer.

I have it disabled like that, not because of any noise, but I only choose to use it when I need it. I probably save a milliwatt or two of electicity that way as well.
12-05-2009, 09:53 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I've been lucky to test two K-x cameras and compare the sound to both to know it's normal.

If you are worried it's worse than it should be, like defective, you could always record a video in a quiet room for us. The mic should record the noise, then post it to youtube for us to check. Might sound different than in person, but we can compare it to our own videos. Probably record in SD to make it easier to upload.

But yeah, when not steady, and in live view, you'll get a lot of creaks and crunching sounds. Taking a photo without live view, it's only on for that split second when you press the shutter button, so you won't hear it. And with a long lens, you'll probably notice in the view finder things get more jittery the more you zoom, so in live view, the sensor has to work harder.

12-05-2009, 10:20 PM   #5

Original Poster
That makes a lot of sense, I will probably make a video later Cheers for the suggestion.

My own K-7 seem to be very much quiter.
12-05-2009, 11:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

It is quieter in my k20d as well - I think that is just due to more solid, and sealed construction reducing the actual noise as well.