Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2009, 09:36 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
K10D vs. K-x AF

I have a K10D with less than 6000 snaps on it, and I'm thinking about a K-x due to its lighter weight and live view. I'm a real basic shooter, so a lot of the capabilities of the K10D are lost on me. Normally I'm either playing with basic focus, DOF/aperture, shutter speed or exposure; not much more. I don't need weather sealing (none of my lenses have it, so what is the point). The one big thing I'm curious about on the K-x are its AF capabilities. Is the AF faster and more accurate than the K10D. I get really frustrated in low-light situations where my K10D AF just hunts and hunts.

Any other thoughts about a K10D vs. K-x greatly appreciated. Before you suggest a K7, it is a bit out of my price range, and I"m liking the things I'm reading about the K-x sensor and low light.

Thanks!

12-07-2009, 09:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

My k10 does really focus very well (after adjusting backfocus), the major improvement for me with the k-x is focus tracking on moving subjects...

The k-x is really a nice litlle camera, I like the lifeview for using manual focus lenses and for macro work, but I'm still pleased with my k10 too.
12-07-2009, 10:26 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Having owned both the K20D (about the same AF as the K10D) and now the K-x, I would say that the K-x AF is much faster and more "positive." The K20D AF would jump around a bit before finally confirming focus, while the K-x just gets there and stays there, and does it fast. I also owned a Canon 40D (known for fast focus) prior to the K-x and in good light there's hardly any difference between the two in focus speed using the kit lens on the pentax and a fast-aperture high-quality prime on the Canon (the canon beats both pentaxes autofocusing in low light, however).
12-07-2009, 09:21 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback... Still not sure if I should put the trigger on the K-x, try to talk my way up to a K-7 with the wife (not too much groveling should do it), or just wait it out for the next models.

12-07-2009, 10:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

See my sig. I went from the K10D to the K-x. I did play around with the K7 before the K-x came out and I was never convinced enough of its features to upgrade. But when the K-x came out with its high ISO (all my photos tend to land in the ISO1600 or greater range), I had to get it.

It was also a bonus for me to learn that the K-x has a much speedier autofocus. Though I found out 2 days ago that in the extreme cold (-30 degrees), the autofocus won't work at all. LOL Had to go full manual and even then, my eyes didn't focus too well either.
12-07-2009, 10:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by innershell Quote

It was also a bonus for me to learn that the K-x has a much speedier autofocus. Though I found out 2 days ago that in the extreme cold (-30 degrees), the autofocus won't work at all. LOL Had to go full manual and even then, my eyes didn't focus too well either.
That's pretty extreme cold! I'm amazed that the camera still operated at that temperature, except for the AF. What batteries did you use?

Did you ever use your K10 in such cold?
12-07-2009, 10:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Yes, I used the K10D on a colder temperature, but it was mid-afternoon so there was lots of light. The K-x was shot 1 hour before sunset and there was lots of fog rising from the ground that may have messed with the autofocus. I was using brand new rebadged-Eneloops straight out of the pack.

Just for the record, I used the K10D at -40 degrees. The camera had to be kept in a bag when transitioning from the indoors to the outdoors to prevent major condensation on the lenses and controlling the temperature acclimatization.