Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2009, 10:37 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K-x manual focus screen?

I currently have a GX-10 and am looking to upgrade to a k-x, thing is I have a split prism screen in my GX-10 and couldn't seem to find one available for the k-x, does such a thing exist? How is manual focus with the penatmirrior instead of pentaprism?

nix

12-07-2009, 10:45 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Most likely the screens produced for the models with similar focus systems (K-m, *istDL - maybe also K100D & K200D?) will work with the K-x, although others with more direct experience can probably help more there.

I'd say that if you felt the need to a split screen with the larger/brighter GX-10, you'll definitely see a need with the K-x. Personally, I never found manual focusing with the pentaprism to be just fine without the need for a split screen, and when I moved "up" (in most ways) to a camera with a pentamirror, it's wasn't as big a step down in that respect as I expected. Still, I found that adding the O-ME53 magnifier helped enough to be worthwhile. It makes the smaller pentamirror viewfinder more or less the same *size* as the larger pentaprism one, if not still quite as bright. But the brightness only seemed an issue to me when using the lenses I was least likely to want to focus manually - the kit zooms. With my MF primes, really, I was surprised at how little of a difference there really was. Others, to be sure, notice the difference more.