Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2006, 11:50 PM   #16
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by photo_mom Quote
Hi Faith!

The filesize was 10.7MB RAW, 29MB TIFF. That TIFF size was a shock to the system and it was only 8-bit. Shudder to think what the 16-bit filesize would have been. The size I'm used to from the DS RAW files was 17MB.

Yes, the wanting is hard to overcome. I didn't last much longer than a week or two after the announcement at Photokina before I pre-ordered.
Thanks for the quick reply! I do birth photography (no flash, dark LDR rooms) along with 2nd shooting weddings and portraits with my husband. I have shaky hands. Shaky hands and low light do not go together. I do have a monopod now, so that and the K10D - Man, I can't wait. I also have 4 kids and no extra money. Want to ask Joe to beg boss to let us break 1/2 the current IRA CDs out for this. It would be a major investment for what we do and what we have now. We need 2 of these K10D bodies or we'll be fighting. I need it more though. He currently has a D and I have DL. We interchange use on those. He wants to keep both of those as backups to the K10Ds. He says there are certain features he likes on each one. I know that I am hoping some of the D features are present in the K10D.

Can you tell me now? Does the K10D have the red focusing light and/or beep in it? I'd rather not have the beep as I take pictures during the night at births. They need their rest while I'm working away. Can't wait for the quieter lenses I read about coming for the K10D, too. Perfect for my niche. I'm going to fall out if I ever get to put this in my hands. I want one now though.

Thanks,
Faith

11-22-2006, 02:57 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
All I can say Tracy, Is LUCKY, LUCKY, LUCKY You. (can you tell I'm a tad bit Jealous)
Its great to see you got it and I'm very happy for you. Maybe I'll have one by our next photo shoot. With Cutler going out of business right before they shipped I'm realy in a funk. I got my deposit back but there was no time to get a preorder from some one else. I guess I'll wait and let things settle down for now. (Who knows maybe the price will drop by spring. (like this will happen Duh)).

Any way it's great to see you get yours and the DFA 100 mm (I want to see some good macros now)

Good Shooting.
Cheers: David
11-22-2006, 03:50 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Hi Tracy, really envious of you. Your photos of the camera boxes make my heart ache so much. I would love to use it to take all the waterfall of my state and print them on canvas

Looking forward to your shots with k10d!
11-22-2006, 04:29 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sandpiper6 Quote
Thanks for the quick reply! I do birth photography (no flash, dark LDR rooms) along with 2nd shooting weddings and portraits with my husband. I have shaky hands. Shaky hands and low light do not go together. I do have a monopod now, so that and the K10D - Man, I can't wait. I also have 4 kids and no extra money. Want to ask Joe to beg boss to let us break 1/2 the current IRA CDs out for this. It would be a major investment for what we do and what we have now. We need 2 of these K10D bodies or we'll be fighting. I need it more though. He currently has a D and I have DL. We interchange use on those. He wants to keep both of those as backups to the K10Ds. He says there are certain features he likes on each one. I know that I am hoping some of the D features are present in the K10D.

Can you tell me now? Does the K10D have the red focusing light and/or beep in it? I'd rather not have the beep as I take pictures during the night at births. They need their rest while I'm working away. Can't wait for the quieter lenses I read about coming for the K10D, too. Perfect for my niche. I'm going to fall out if I ever get to put this in my hands. I want one now though.

Thanks,
Faith
Hi Faith!

Not sure about the D features (I have DS/DS2 bodies), but you're probably right about fighting over the K10D if you both have to use a camera at the same time!

The red focus point light and the green focus achieved indicator are there as well as a beep. But the beep can be turned off. Actually, there are beeps available for a whole range of things, but a menu options allows them to be disabled. I did that on all of the beeps before I even took the first picture.

What an interesting job - the birth pictures. Do you only come in for a certain amount of time or are you there from the time it all starts? That could be a long stretch in some cases. And with 4 kids at the same time, you've got your hands full! I only have one daughter and it's like trying to go in 3 different directions at once sometimes.

11-22-2006, 04:37 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Photo Tramp Quote
All I can say Tracy, Is LUCKY, LUCKY, LUCKY You. (can you tell I'm a tad bit Jealous)
Its great to see you got it and I'm very happy for you. Maybe I'll have one by our next photo shoot. With Cutler going out of business right before they shipped I'm realy in a funk. I got my deposit back but there was no time to get a preorder from some one else. I guess I'll wait and let things settle down for now. (Who knows maybe the price will drop by spring. (like this will happen Duh)).

Any way it's great to see you get yours and the DFA 100 mm (I want to see some good macros now)

Good Shooting.
Cheers: David
Thanks David! You'll get one soon I'm sure. Ace only had enough for those who pre-ordered I think, but maybe Circuit City/Best Buy will be getting them soon in your area! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! Glad you got your deposit back, though.

The DFA 100 is a sweet little lens. I really liked the manual version that Mark had and let me use in Gettysburg. This one doesn't feel as solid as his, but it's still a fun lens to use. I'm hoping tonight to give it a real workout.
11-22-2006, 04:45 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Hi Tracy, really envious of you. Your photos of the camera boxes make my heart ache so much. I would love to use it to take all the waterfall of my state and print them on canvas

Looking forward to your shots with k10d!
Hi roentarre!

Taking photos of the box and how it was all arranged inside was about all I could do while the battery was charging. I had to leave for a meeting before that was done but I took the manual to read while I was waiting at the meeting.

That is one thing I forgot to mention before. The manual is much better! They even show how to clean the sensor. I can't find the manual for my DS, but I don't remember seeing anything in there about that topic. It seems the manual authors may have read all the usual newbie FAQs about the camera in the forums and tried to answer them.

Hope you get one soon to take the waterfall pictures! Those will be nice to see.