Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2006, 06:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member
photo_mom's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 545
I can't hold it in any longer...

At the request of Jan (Janneman) I didn't start a "It's here!!!" thread over at DPR. But there haven't been any here and I just CAN'T hold this excitement in any longer.

Ace Photo called me when it was delivered to the store and I got off work to go get it. When I got home I got a few pictures of the new camera and started the battery charging. But then I had to go out for the evening and didn't get home until 10. Had to work late today. What torture this is!!!







DFA100 f2.8 ISO 800 1/8 sec SR NR


The above picture is the 3rd from the camera and is a 100% crop taken at 10:37 PM in a room with only a fan light on to the right and one to the left. I converted it from RAW using Photolab 3 (yuk but the only thing that reads K10D RAW files at the moment). The only adjustment I made in that program was to set the white balance. Auto white balance came up with a yellowish-green tinge. Then I saved it to TIFF, resized and used unsharpmask in Photoshop.

I took two sunset pictures today, but they're not worth showing. Really do hope to get a chance to use it tomorrow night. My only whine at the moment is that Bibble doesn't support the RAW format yet. Other than that I'm one HAPPY camper!

11-21-2006, 06:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member
vievetrick's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Easthampton - Massachusetts - USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,175
lucky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
11-21-2006, 07:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member
Scott Rylance's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Australia/Geelong, Vic
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 421
Half your luck Tracy, ours don't come in until 27th in OZ...so still a bit of a wait. Look forward to seeing some more photos with your new toy.
11-21-2006, 07:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member
-=JoN=-'s Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,000
heh..look a fellow k10-er...and like you.. I have no time to really shoot w/ it yet..maybe over the holidays...

loving it?...

11-21-2006, 08:06 PM   #5
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: midwest, United States
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,326
Congratulations...

Photo Mom. I hope you get a chance to enjoy it soon. I have the K10D on the way. Can't wait to try my DFA 100 on it. I know the supplied Pentax software is clunky for converting raw. This worries me a little. I don't know how to use any raw converter except RSP. That won't do me any good now. Did you try converting a raw in the K10D? Must be simpler than using Pentax software. Wonder if it matches the computer software? I would have to take the new camera to work! If nothing else shoot it at lunch. Enjoy the camera.
thanks for sharing
Barondla
11-21-2006, 08:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member
ericc's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Western Oklahoma
Posts: 406
I'm happy for you and only a tad bit jealous. My K10D will be here hopefully in the Spring. I need to take care of a few more details that arose from my bout of unemployment in 2005.

But, I'm happy for all of you and I hope my DS continues to keep pushing out winners. Maybe you can sell me your DS2 for Mrs. Okie....
11-21-2006, 08:55 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 43,136
Lucky! Hopefully all the others (mainly Adorama and B&H) will be shipping soon

Nice sample pic, BTW- just emphasizes the impact of SR.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-21-2006, 09:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member
photo_mom's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 545
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
lucky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Very much so! It's a gem. Hope you get one soon as well. The 'cheaper' lenses don't seem to show any difference in IQ. I've done a couple with the FA50 and haven't seen a problem yet.

11-21-2006, 09:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member
photo_mom's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 545
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Scott Rylance Quote
Half your luck Tracy, ours don't come in until 27th in OZ...so still a bit of a wait. Look forward to seeing some more photos with your new toy.
I'm looking forward to that as well. HA! I know this camera is supposed to work well in low light situations, but I've only had a chance to use it in basically NO light situations so far. Not very good conditions for the 'first' few pictures.

Hey, that's less than a week away! You should be posting samples in no time.
11-21-2006, 09:28 PM   #10
Veteran Member
photo_mom's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 545
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by -=JoN=- Quote
heh..look a fellow k10-er...and like you.. I have no time to really shoot w/ it yet..maybe over the holidays...

loving it?...
Isn't that truly frustrating!!!

Yes, I'm loving it. Just the feel of it is great. Tomorrow will be my first true test of it though - at the ice rink for my daughter's practices and classes.
11-21-2006, 09:34 PM   #11
Veteran Member
photo_mom's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 545
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Photo Mom. I hope you get a chance to enjoy it soon. I have the K10D on the way. Can't wait to try my DFA 100 on it. I know the supplied Pentax software is clunky for converting raw. This worries me a little. I don't know how to use any raw converter except RSP. That won't do me any good now. Did you try converting a raw in the K10D? Must be simpler than using Pentax software. Wonder if it matches the computer software? I would have to take the new camera to work! If nothing else shoot it at lunch. Enjoy the camera.
thanks for sharing
Barondla
Thanks Barondla! I hope so too. The DFA 100 on it makes the combo weigh about as much as the FA50 on my DS. The 100 is a cool little lens. I'm really looking forward to using it, too.

The Photolab software is almost unusable to me. I logged into the Bibble forum and responded in the K10D RAW support thread. Eric told me that when they get their camera Wed. they will be working on supporting it in Bibble. But that it probably wouldn't be released until next month because of the holiday. He did say that sending in RAW files would be a big help. Here's a link to the thread:
support.bibblelabs.com :: View topic - K10D support?
11-21-2006, 09:43 PM   #12
Veteran Member
photo_mom's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 545
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ericc Quote
I'm happy for you and only a tad bit jealous. My K10D will be here hopefully in the Spring. I need to take care of a few more details that arose from my bout of unemployment in 2005.

But, I'm happy for all of you and I hope my DS continues to keep pushing out winners. Maybe you can sell me your DS2 for Mrs. Okie....
Thanks Eric! ;-D

The only reason I was able to jump at this and the DFA 100 was because I got an unexpected bonus at work. We normally get our bonuses in April. Because of a quirk in the payroll systems we got another one in October. The downside of that is that our next one wpn't be available until Jan 2008. So I can't think about one of the new lenses due out next year now. That's why I jumped at the DFA 100 when I saw that Ace had one left.

Your DS will push out winners far more often than my new K10D and my DS combined just because of you using it!

Sorry, the DS2 has already been taken over by photo_dad along with the kit lens. I don't think I'll be able to talk him into posting, though. I may have to do it for him. :ugh:

Last edited by photo_mom; 11-21-2006 at 10:10 PM.
11-21-2006, 09:46 PM   #13
Veteran Member
photo_mom's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 545
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
Lucky! Hopefully all the others (mainly Adorama and B&H) will be shipping soon

Nice sample pic, BTW- just emphasizes the impact of SR.
Hi Mo!

Looks like Amazon is shipping. Somebody over at DPR says they gotten tracking notification. They seem to be slowly making it from the West to the East...

Thanks! You're right about the SR. I took a few without the SR and the difference is amazing. Never thought I'd be able to get a sharp handheld shot like that at 1/8 sec!
11-21-2006, 11:01 PM   #14
Inactive Account




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Aiken, SC
Posts: 68
QuoteOriginally posted by photo_mom Quote
At the request of Jan (Janneman) I didn't start a "It's here!!!" thread over at DPR. But there haven't been any here and I just CAN'T hold this excitement in any longer.

Ace Photo called me when it was delivered to the store and I got off work to go get it. When I got home I got a few pictures of the new camera and started the battery charging. But then I had to go out for the evening and didn't get home until 10. Had to work late today. What torture this is!!!







DFA100 f2.8 ISO 800 1/8 sec SR NR


The above picture is the 3rd from the camera and is a 100% crop taken at 10:37 PM in a room with only a fan light on to the right and one to the left. I converted it from RAW using Photolab 3 (yuk but the only thing that reads K10D RAW files at the moment). The only adjustment I made in that program was to set the white balance. Auto white balance came up with a yellowish-green tinge. Then I saved it to TIFF, resized and used unsharpmask in Photoshop.

I took two sunset pictures today, but they're not worth showing. Really do hope to get a chance to use it tomorrow night. My only whine at the moment is that Bibble doesn't support the RAW format yet. Other than that I'm one HAPPY camper!
May I ask what size file your 3rd picture produced in RAW? And what size file was it when you saved it to TIFF?

I WANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Without a single doubt. I want!

Thanks for posting.
Faith
11-21-2006, 11:36 PM   #15
Veteran Member
photo_mom's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 545
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sandpiper6 Quote
May I ask what size file your 3rd picture produced in RAW? And what size file was it when you saved it to TIFF?

I WANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Without a single doubt. I want!

Thanks for posting.
Faith
Hi Faith!

The filesize was 10.7MB RAW, 29MB TIFF. That TIFF size was a shock to the system and it was only 8-bit. Shudder to think what the 16-bit filesize would have been. The size I'm used to from the DS RAW files was 17MB.

Yes, the wanting is hard to overcome. I didn't last much longer than a week or two after the announcement at Photokina before I pre-ordered.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
balance, camera, dslr, home, moment, photography, pictures
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How long will you hold on to your K7? Tony3d Pentax DSLR Discussion 114 11-12-2010 06:26 PM
An Accessory to Hold the Shutter Down? krp Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 15 10-24-2010 03:51 PM
Cityscape Hold me Closer VaughnA Photo Critique 5 06-18-2010 04:38 AM
Macro Hold on! Iris Post Your Photos! 18 05-24-2010 11:09 AM
About the screws that hold the Pentax K-x together crocowhile Pentax DSLR Discussion 15 04-17-2010 04:09 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:45 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top