Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2009, 06:35 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
how fast a memory card do I need for a k-x?

Greetings folks,

I apologize if this is a FAQ, but I have searched the forums and not found any conclusive answers. I'm about to join the brave new world (to me) of DSLRs, with a brand new (black) k-x on its way. The choice of brand was pretty easy, as I have an MX that was my grandfather's, along with some manual glass, including a Pentax-M 1.7 50MM that I'm looking forward to playing with. At any rate, I'm not sure what speed sdhc card to get for the k-x - is the answer "the faster the better", in which case the sandisk extreme III would be the way to go?

Thanks for any help, and please go easy on the n00b

12-08-2009, 06:42 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I'm not an expert, but I would get the fastest within reasonable price that you are willing to pay for. If that card is too fast, then your camera will still work with it (at a slower speed) and you can always use it in future camera where the demand for speed is higher. If the card is too slow, well then you better be more willing to fork out more $.

With that said, I am using class 2, class 4, and class 6 SDHC cards. I couldn't really tell if there is any speed advantage between one versus another. I would get a class 6 SDHC card as an 8GB would cost you less than $20 on newegg.com
12-08-2009, 06:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

yep, a class 6 from newegg.com will serve you just fine (newegg is completely reputable and easily the best value online for most computer/memory and other electronics) - transcend is a good value, patriot, a-data, sandisk are all the big names that I have used and are reliable as well.
12-08-2009, 07:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks much for the help to both of you - so is a class 2 fast enough for shooting video?

12-08-2009, 07:32 AM   #5
Forum Member

I bought a Transcend class 6 16GB SDHD card from Newegg. Worked fine with the few test videos that I've shot.

Since I don't shoot video and mostly JPEG, 16GB is overkill for me. In the month that I've had the camera, I've shot less than 10GB.
12-08-2009, 07:35 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by acrollet Quote
thanks much for the help to both of you - so is a class 2 fast enough for shooting video?
Experiment. I have a Sandisk SD Class 2 that works OK with video, but it seems to hiccup a bit sometimes. So I normally use a Sandisk Ultra 15MB/s Class 4. It works better with shooting RAW+ too, doing bracketing etc.

PS - this Class 2, Class 4, Class 6 etc stuff isn't a reliable guide or standard and doesn't necessarily mean one SD card is faster than another. What one brand says is class 2 may not equal what another brand says is class 2. Etc. It's a mess.

So YMMV and the only way to really be sure is to either experiment, or stick to one reliable brand (Sandisk, Lexar, Panasonic etc).
12-08-2009, 03:52 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
The classes are min. write speeds. So a card could be faster then class 2 but only rated at class 2. (so a class 2 could be faster then a class 4) It depends on the brand. The class is just the min. tested speed not the max speed.
12-08-2009, 06:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Honest question, do they still make class 2 SDHC cards?! I would think a class 4 should be fine, may cutoff a prolonged video...but not likely. With 8gb class 6 cards on newegg for around $20, why bother with anything rated slower?

12-08-2009, 06:29 PM   #9
Banned

Why play the stupid game of seeing what is the slowest card that still works with KX HD video when it only cost a few buck more to get one that will not have problems.
Amazon.com: Sandisk 8GB EXTREME III SDHC SD Card Class 6 (SDSDX3-8192): Electronics
12-08-2009, 07:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

This:

Newegg.com - A-DATA Turbo 8GB Secure Digital High-Capacity (SDHC) Flash Card Model TurboSD SDHC 8G - Flash Memory

or this will do...16gb $37 bucks, 430 something reviews on new egg (I have one, works great):

Newegg.com - A-DATA 16GB Secure Digital High-Capacity (SDHC) Flash Card Model TurboSD SDHC 16G - Flash Memory
12-08-2009, 07:37 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks to all for the helpful information - I was mostly concerned with whether a class 6 card would be fast enough to keep up with the camera, so I don't have to find something better...
12-08-2009, 07:57 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I have a 16G class 6 card and a 4G Extreme III card. Hands down the Extreme III card out performs the class 6 card in my K200D when it comes to clearing the buffer during continuous shooting.
12-08-2009, 08:03 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kkoether Quote
I have a 16G class 6 card and a 4G Extreme III card. Hands down the Extreme III card out performs the class 6 card in my K200D when it comes to clearing the buffer during continuous shooting.
v. interesting to know, maybe it's worth looking for a high quality card after all... not that I'm a sports photog or anything, but sometimes when I'm trying to get a shot of a bird or what have you, I wish I had more speed...
12-08-2009, 08:29 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Ya, it still hesitates while clearing the buffer but, the wait is shorter until you can take your next picture. I've been kicking around trying an Ultra II to see how it compares to an Extreme III. One of these days I'll get around to it or find someone with one I can try.
12-11-2009, 02:50 PM   #15

Future Shop: Cameras & Camcorders: Digital Memory: Panasonic 16GB SD Class 10 Memory Card (RPSDW16GU1K)

That is what I got, Panasonic Class 10 16GB, and I love it for using burst. Some may call it overkill, but I got it thrown in as part of the deal when I bought my camera, and there's no looking back.
I left my camera at home today and was forced to use a friend's D60 with a Kingston 16GB Class 6, and I'm not sure whether it was the camera or the memory card, but it was slow.