Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2012, 04:02 PM   #226
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
I may have to buy an aftermarket grip. Pentax Australia list the D-BG4 at A$399 (that's just over US$400). If it was under A$200, I'd probably buy the genuine article.

Now, should I guy one with a pair of batteries? Those worry me more than the grip.

get one from the US mate..they are $200 US plus postage

06-19-2012, 05:18 PM   #227
Site Supporter

Yep, I think that may be the way to go. Thanks.
10-16-2012, 11:02 AM   #228

I've read through many of the reviews and for my use, I think a 3rd party will be just fine. One question though. This grip states K-7: Comfortable Vertical Shutter Battery Grip For Pentax K-7 DSLR Camera | eBay But from what I've read it should work on a K-5 correct?
10-17-2012, 04:59 AM   #229
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Operator Quote
This grip states K-7: Comfortable Vertical Shutter Battery Grip For Pentax K-7 DSLR Camera | eBay But from what I've read it should work on a K-5 correct?
If it fits the K-7, it will fit the K-5. They use the same battery grip.

10-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #230

Photos: Albums
Anyone know if the K-5ii will use the same grip? I imgaine it will as the body is identical(i believe) but just thought I would ask in here.
10-28-2012, 08:53 PM   #231
Site Supporter

I bought the genuine Pentax battery grip but I must say i don't like it so I'll very likely sell it again.
12-31-2012, 09:03 AM   #232
Veteran Member

Best 3rd party grip out now???

What's the best 3rd party grip out now? from what I see it should have the metal pins but many have said the battery door tab breaks easy..anyone have a link to good grip ,or name I should go after
Thanks
01-09-2013, 07:47 PM   #233

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
I can't understand people. You pay close to $1400.00 for a camera, then you are going to use third party accessory that could possibly damage it to save some money. Company like Tamron, Sigma et al. have a reputation they want to keep, but some third party manufacturer might be there for a quick return on their investment with absolutely no remorse about the damage they can cause. If a third party grip damages the camera, I don't think Pentax will cover the repair under warranty.

For myself, I'd rather play it safe and use known equipment suppliers. My cameras are worth more than the saving I could potentially realize with a third party grip.
+1! I couldn't agree more.

01-09-2013, 11:17 PM   #234
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
I bought the genuine Pentax battery grip but I must say i don't like it so I'll very likely sell it again.
I tried it with my DA* 60-250mm and it seems to make it useable when hand-held. The combination seems better balanced. Imagination? Perhaps.
02-01-2013, 02:27 PM   #235

Type 3 3rd party battery grip ?

There seem to be a "Type 3" battery grip out there for sale on ebay. It looks almost identical to "Type 2" with the exception of the "AF" label is printed on the side of the button instead of on the button. I read somewhere that after a while that the buttons' labels got scrubbed off. Maybe that's why they put the label on the side. Does anyone here own one, and what do you think compare to the other two types ?
Attached Images

02-01-2013, 04:06 PM   #236
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by swingninja Quote
There seem to be a "Type 3" battery grip out there for sale on ebay. It looks almost identical to "Type 2" with the exception of the "AF" label is printed on the side of the button instead of on the button. I read somewhere that after a while that the buttons' labels got scrubbed off. Maybe that's why they put the label on the side. Does anyone here own one, and what do you think compare to the other two types ?
That looks pretty nice except for those rainbow colors on it, would definitely have to use a black marker to cover that.
03-17-2013, 10:20 PM   #237

QuoteOriginally posted by Azzy Quote
Wondering if this is type 2 that everyone preferred / deemed to be higher quality:
DSTE BATTERY GRIP FOR PENTAX K-7 K-5 D-BG4 +2 X D-LI90 | eBay

From the pic it looks like the type 2...have anyone used the 3rd party chinese battery aswell ?
Very interested in purchasing one of these myself but I am worried about the batteries being 7.4v instead of the original battery I have which was purchased with the camera at 7.2v.

Has anyone purchased from this seller or used one of these batteries before.
03-17-2013, 11:29 PM   #238
Pentaxian

I had this one. Worked perfect with my K7 but no longer have it.
05-21-2013, 03:08 AM   #239
Pentaxian

I tried both type 1 and type 3 (or type 2, not sure) grips.

Although the type 1 version was different to the original grip in many ways (much more so than the other one), I still preferred it for the better buttons and wheels.

Its biggest disadvantages is that the front wheel operates in the reverse direction compared to the camera.

I had a quick look whether I could fix the issue by swapping two wires internally, but unfortunately the part isn't super straightforwardly to access and there is only one cable of the flat type combining three flat (printed?) wires connected to the front wheel.

It may be just a matter of reversing the flat cable (if the ground is in the middle) and I guess with a bit of dedication it would be possible to get to the part, so I'm quite sure the fix is doable, but it isn't the 10min. job I was hoping it may be.
11-11-2013, 03:51 AM   #240

Photos: Gallery
I read somewhere that after a while that the buttons' labels got scrubbed off.
hi swingninja

if you're worried about scratches that might damage the printed texts on these grips, there is a cheap and easy solution i just learned from someone on these pages (or elsewhere was it?) and it's proved to be very helpful indeed:

purchase a small bottle of 'clear nail polish' (about a couple of bucks or less if you go to a dollar store perhaps) which is the type ladies normally use to protect their nails and perhaps give it a shine too, but no color, hence the "clear" label.
carefully clean up the grip from any probable dirt and grease on it and make sure it's absolutely dry, and then gently apply a very little and thin layer of that nail polish (lacquer, varnish, whatever, using its own small brush) on the printed text.

i have done this on a cheap 3rd party battery grip i own and it's stayed there for more than two years without any need to repeat!
it won't look perfect of course, but it does the job fine enough.

(i have also made another good use of the same nail polish: 'repairing' the loose lock/dent of the plastic hood that comes with the AL 18~55mm Pentax ED WR lens, and it's worked great there too!) ;-)

however, you may want to know about the low-cost grip itself:

although fine in looks and things as well as in overall performance, it proved not to be a durable one unfortunately!
maybe i bought the worst one ($50, no brand name, no labels of any kind) but the build and everything about it seemed really fine enough at first and it is even one of those that sound like to be of the better 3rd party models.

anyway, long story short, the first thing that went wrong with this grip was its lock mechanism.
it works fine even after its crank broke quite soon (maybe in less than a year of use) but in order to use it, now i have to get hold of a small pair of tweezers i carry in my camera bag, which is very clumsy indeed!

(i do also have an original Pentax BG-4 grip that has worked for even one year longer than this one and under similar work pressure but it's still perfectly fine, although i do have worries about this item's locking crank too, as it seems of rather fragile build after all!)

the other nasty thing that also happened was that i was taking photos in a beach and got stuck with ocean waves somehow, which got to both my cameras (K-5 and K-7) and both of the grips inside the camera bag on my shoulder.

no damage to the two splash-proof cameras (except for the usual sand that got all over them and i had to clean them up later of course) and nothing wrong with the original Pentax grip either, but the 3rd party grip was damaged so badly it not only stopped working altogether, but its ISO button also came off! (see attached photos please)

its AE-L button also doesn't work as before: its push-push 'feel' no longer there ...

conclusion:

i don't say it's wrong to buy these 3rd party grips and i'm sure they should be quite fine as long as you don't get too adventurous with your photography, but if you're into risking certain things and do a lot of outdoor photography (as i do) then i'd say you'd better pay the extra costs and get a genuine Pentax battery grip to make sure things are more on the safe side. (or find a truly reliable 3rd party at a lower price, although none of them appear to be of tough build, nor are they splash proof as is the original one as far as i know.)

also, most probably the price for the BG-4 grip is going to drop in the near future (if it's not already) since the new K-3 camera uses a different type of grip and sales of the older cameras and grips will certainly be much lower now ...

hope this helps and good luck!

ps > you may also notice the application of the mentioned clear nail polish on the printed text in the photos btw.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-TZ5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-TZ5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-TZ5  Photo