Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
03-06-2010, 01:24 AM   #46
Veteran Member

What is being overlooked perhaps is that the "market" has choices. If you want to spend top dollar on an OEM grip which works fine, that is your choice. If you want to spend $57 on an aftermarket grip which works fine, then that is your choice too. Why the need to get ugly about things?

Jason

03-06-2010, 01:35 AM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
What is being overlooked perhaps is that the "market" has choices. If you want to spend top dollar on an OEM grip which works fine, that is your choice. If you want to spend $57 on an aftermarket grip which works fine, then that is your choice too. Why the need to get ugly about things?

Jason
I have really no idea. Fact is that there is a huge market for a normal priced grip, history proves as much as that with the K200D, K10D and K20D and at this moment again with the K-7.

To bad some people (including Pentax marketing) won't admit it and won't see the huge market.

Anyway, the only difference between the original and the 3rd-party grip is the weather-sealing.

On every forum i go, i see people ordering the 3rd-party grip for the K7. Even on the youtube movie of the grip people write that they are ordering the grip.

YouTube - K-7 3-rd party grip.avi

To bad Pentax won't reduce there profit for the grip, it feels bad to see all that money spend on grips not going to Pentax itself, but they can only blame it to there own bad marketing.
03-06-2010, 02:32 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sakura Quote
the only difference between the original and the 3rd-party grip is the weather-sealing.
...the only difference that you've personally noticed / care about, would be a more accurate statement. Or are you claiming that you personally compared both grips in person now, not only externally but internally as well?
03-06-2010, 02:42 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Would've bought original grip if it were 125 bucks, which I think is a reasonable price. However due to the high pricing of the original, I result to buying the cheaper replica one for only 1/4th the price. I've waited since the release of the grip for it to drop so I can buy it, but apparently it's holding it's ground really tight.

03-06-2010, 02:53 AM   #50
PFH
Veteran Member

Here in Sweden the original grip is 2800 sek, the DealExtreme is 400 sek. Not a dificult choice.
03-06-2010, 03:08 AM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
...the only difference that you've personally noticed / care about, would be a more accurate statement. Or are you claiming that you personally compared both grips in person now, not only externally but internally as well?
No, the only thing ANYONE has been able to notice on the world wide internet cummunity.
03-06-2010, 03:25 AM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Would've bought original grip if it were 125 bucks, which I think is a reasonable price. However due to the high pricing of the original, I result to buying the cheaper replica one for only 1/4th the price. I've waited since the release of the grip for it to drop so I can buy it, but apparently it's holding it's ground really tight.
Here in The Netherlands, the original is €249 ($338 at the present exchange)
So no issue at all in buying an original one. $280 is a lot for weather sealing what is the only differance between the original one and the 3-rd party one.

I even have spoken to a guy who already had the original one and bought a 3-rd party one for the extra battery tray

03-06-2010, 11:51 AM   #53
Veteran Member

No, the only thing ANYONE has been able to notice on the world wide internet cummunity.
Oh OK, so now you also know the entire internet.

You're quite the popular guy!
03-06-2010, 01:14 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
Oh OK, so now you also know the entire internet.

You're quite the popular guy!
I try to keep myself informed, not only on this forum, but also on a lot of other forums.

En most important of all, i wouldn't work of my frustation on others if i just as you had bought a D-BG4 grip and knew i had paid way to much for it. I would just lick my wounds and keep going.

But if the only thing you can do is write down you're frustation in this topic about it, i would kindly ask you to keep away of this topic and let everyone else continue the discussion. You're behavure is getting very irritating without adding anything to the discussion.

Thanks in advance.

I won't respond to any of you're frustrated comments again.

If you are able to start discussing at a normal level again, maybe i would be willing to respond again. Till then i think it will be the best thing i just ignore you to try to keep things nice here.

And now back on topic.

Last edited by Sakura; 03-06-2010 at 02:13 PM.
03-06-2010, 03:37 PM   #55
Veteran Member

If you are able to start discussing at a normal level again, maybe i would be willing to respond again. Till then i think it will be the best thing i just ignore you to try to keep things nice here.
Since the only thing you'll accept is total agreement with your position, then yes, we'll consider this conversation closed.
03-09-2010, 05:04 AM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Way too pricey

I am also one of those who baulked at the large price for a genuine grip. I am currently doing without. Thanks for the heads up about DX

James
03-09-2010, 05:06 AM   #57
Inactive Account

Received my DX grip yesterday am very satisfied with the product
03-09-2010, 05:30 AM   #58

I ordered a DX grip on sunday after glowing reviews here. Has not been posted yet but thats ok. I dont have any WR lenses anyway.
03-10-2010, 03:32 PM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tomorrow i put the grip trough some very havy testing (also my K-7)
I am going to take pictures of a lot of very old documents. Some over 300 years old, so of course copying or flash isn't allowed, so it has to be done by the available light.
For that i us a tripod and put the head upside down so it hangs under the tripod.
So, tomorrow evening, my K-7 shutter count wil at least have grown with some 3500 pictures higher

The oldest documents i have photographed this way is from the year 1600

I have 24 full loaded AA battery's and 2 D-LI90 accu's so i hope this will be enough.
03-11-2010, 02:41 AM   #60
Veteran Member

the only difference between the original and the 3rd-party grip is the weather-sealing.
I got the 3rd party grip a couple of days ago. Comparing w/ the original one, I'd say the difference isn't just the weather-sealing. Yes, the 3rd party one works and looks similar as the original one, including the battery inserts. But the original one is definitely better built. The leather cover on the 3rd party one doesn't look as high quality as the original one, and the edge isn't totally aligned w/ the grip surface, even has some edge peeling on mine. I'm not saying it looks cheap, but it's definitely not as well made as the original one.

But for the price I paid, I'm not complaining