Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
05-26-2010, 08:11 PM   #151
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
knoxploration, the fact that OEM recalls do happen point to there a just discovered issue, or a potential or known fault in the product. To what degree, whether it is a minor or major issue is always debatable but companies do err on side of caution.

My own experience with a battery recall is that it is a one-for-one exchange for a replacement but the question is still open whether the company is liable for warranty claims arising from use of the problematic battery. It isn't automatic as far as I can tell even for an original battery, and I don't assume it to be so.

Pentax USA's Warranty Information states the following:
PENTAX products originally distributed by PENTAX Imaging Company, 600 12th Street, Suite 300, Golden, Colorado 80401, have a limited One-Year Warranty starting from the date of purchase. This limited warranty covers any defects in original factory materials and workmanship. If your PENTAX product malfunctions due to such a defect within this one-year period, PENTAX Imaging Company will repair it at no charge within a reasonable amount of time. This warranty does not cover any damage caused to the product, including, but not limited to: impact, moisture, liquid, sand, excessive temperature, battery leakage, chemical corrosion, mishandling, operation contrary to operating instructions, tampering, modification, or servicing by an unauthorized repair shop. PENTAX shall not be liable for any consequential or incidental damages, such as memory cards, batteries, travel expenses, loss of time, etc. This warranty only applies to PENTAX photographic equipment originally distributed in the United States by PENTAX Imaging Company, 600 12th Street, Suite 300, Golden, Colorado 80401.

I based my comparisons against my 2 original K-7 batteries, just shooting normally like anyone else and determining the approximate number of shots between charges. It is not based on gut feeling nor am I doing a benchmark torture test. I can leave the latter to review sites or some enterprising individual.

We all use our cameras differently (use of LV, chimping and reviewing images, flash use, video, AF, ambient temperature) which can all affect battery life.
I merely said the 3rd party battery gave me more shots that's all. How much more I can't put a definite percentage to. Perhaps you can buy one yourself and test to settle your doubts.

05-27-2010, 12:40 AM   #152
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
knoxploration, the fact that OEM recalls do happen point to there a just discovered issue, or a potential or known fault in the product. To what degree, whether it is a minor or major issue is always debatable but companies do err on side of caution.

My own experience with a battery recall is that it is a one-for-one exchange for a replacement but the question is still open whether the company is liable for warranty claims arising from use of the problematic battery. It isn't automatic as far as I can tell even for an original battery, and I don't assume it to be so.
The recall is a one for one exchange for people who haven't had an issue, yes. You can guarantee that anybody whose product was destroyed by an acknowledged defect that was the manufacturer's fault didn't have to pay for their repair or replacement, though.

Making somebody pay to repair or replace their laptop, music player, camera or whatever else when the company has just acknowledged that the damage was caused by their own defect wouldn't just be illogical, it'd be a PR nightmare (and potential lawsuit) in the offing. Local laws might even specifically disallow a company from trying to shirk responsibility for an acknowledged design or manufacturing defect.

There's not a chance of any reputable company being daft enough to force a handful of people to pay for their own repair or replacement (at a cost that would be a pittance to the company itself), while considering an issue serious enough to replace hundreds of thousands of batteries for people who haven't actually been affected at all. The cost of the product replacements would be microscopic compared to the cost of the recall itself, and compared to the potential damage that negative publicity or lawsuits could cost the company.

I based my comparisons against my 2 original K-7 batteries, just shooting normally like anyone else and determining the approximate number of shots between charges. It is not based on gut feeling nor am I doing a benchmark torture test. I can leave the latter to review sites or some enterprising individual.
OK, so small sample size again. As you noted, batteries can vary from batch to batch. (They also vary depending on how they're treated -- it's my experience that batteries which aren't run through several full charge cycles at the start of their life generally yield significantly reduced battery life).

It's possible your third-party battery has higher charge; it's equally possible that this was caused either by how your batteries have been used, or simply bad luck on your part on the specific original manufacturer batteries you've received.

We all use our cameras differently (use of LV, chimping and reviewing images, flash use, video, AF, ambient temperature) which can all affect battery life.
I merely said the 3rd party battery gave me more shots that's all. How much more I can't put a definite percentage to. Perhaps you can buy one yourself and test to settle your doubts.
Sorry, but not a chance of that happening. I value my camera far too much to put a no-name battery in it, and as I've said several times, I've yet to find any name brand other than Pentax themselves that supplies a D-LI90. Were somebody like Maha or another name brand to offer one, I'd try it. I'm not touching an Ebay cheapie, though... ;-)
05-27-2010, 04:25 AM   #153
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My experience with off brand batteries has been moderately good. I bought from Deal Extreme and the batteries I got have not caught fire or caused any issues with my camera, however, they last about three quarters as long as the one that came with my camera. This is not an issue with shooting photographs, but if I do much video, they will drop to unusable levels fairly quickly.
05-28-2010, 11:30 AM   #154

Just got my third party grip. A bit of taking used to, coming from the K200D which didnt have anything but shutter and AE-L on the grip, but it works perfectly so far.

05-30-2010, 01:36 PM   #155
Inactive Account

I have a just upgraded by back-up K10 to a K-7. I've ordered one of these "cheap" grips (the one like the original) for my back up (my main K-7 has a genuine grip)...so I should be able to give feedback to everyone on how the "cheaper" grip performs within a few days, and how it compares directly to the OEM grip.

c[_]
07-11-2010, 11:15 PM   #156
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
I have a just upgraded by back-up K10 to a K-7. I've ordered one of these "cheap" grips (the one like the original) for my back up (my main K-7 has a genuine grip)...so I should be able to give feedback to everyone on how the "cheaper" grip performs within a few days, and how it compares directly to the OEM grip.

c[_]
Update?
07-11-2010, 11:31 PM   #157

3rd-party batteries are working fine

I haven't had any problems with my third-party batteries so far (I bought 2 for my k7 from an Amazon third-party reseller). I'll let others comment on the grip.

I resisted purchasing the K7 for some time because it doesn't take standard AA batteries like my k100D. I also was worried that extra proprietary batteries would be expensive. This turned out to be foolish: I'm a casual photographer, so in my opinion, these cheap third-party batteries last a very long time. Having two in my bag basically guarantees I'll never be without power.

10-01-2010, 12:30 PM   #158

Opinion of cheapie grip after a few months

QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote

c[_]
I'm considering purchasing a grip for my K-7 and wanted to get your impressions of your grip now several months after you received it. I used to have a K10 with a cheapie grip. It did fine, but the shutter button was never as smooth as the camera's shutter button. Neither was it waterproof. However, it was about one-third the price as well. Since I just enjoy taking pictures and am not trying to earn money with my camera, I couldn't justify buying a Pentax grip, even though I know it would have been nicer. Also where did you get your grip and what do you like and dislike about it?

Thanks!
10-03-2010, 04:52 AM   #159
Veteran Member

i can land this grip to my home for $250 au.....or $60 for the knock off....Im prepared to spend the extra...funny that Amazon wont ship to Aussie.!..B&H will though..seems strange

but for $190 au it dont seem too much extra to get the real deal..but if we was still only getting $67 us for $100 au..Id think long and hard...the way I see it..its part of the camera and Id like it to have the same quality feel that the k7 has ...one of the main reasons I bought the K7... don't really want to spoil that with a knock off grip . Ill only buy it once and the $190 au difference wont even be a thought in 6 months time , crikey its only three rounds at the pub these days !!
10-03-2010, 08:14 PM   #160
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got a no-name ("type 2", if you've read the whole thread) grip off eBay in July. When it arrived I resolved to stay spring-loaded to the send-it-back position, I can't abide chintzy tools! The nonsensical Chinglish on the box gave me a sinking sensation, but opening it cured that forever. This is a solid piece of gear. Fits perfectly on the camera, nice oversize attachment thumbwheel, absolutely no play or wobble when mounted. Works beautifully. Grip material is on a par with the camera's, and the shape fits my hand as well as the original camera did, which is saying a LOT! The on/off/preview switch feels a little cheaper than the camera's; the control dials comparable to a smidgen less velvety. Has never glitched or failed in two months and hundreds of pictures. Have not dared to get it wet as I have the K-7, however!
11-20-2010, 01:50 AM   #161

I bought 2-nd type on DX
it is totally crap/ i will never ever buy something like that.
There are some "short circuit" issues? it ruind 3-rd pary accumularot? and i affraid to put it on my k7 ever more!!!
besides after several month "on" and "off" were completely vanished/
and other issues.
11-20-2010, 03:10 AM   #162
Veteran Member

I have had mine for 6 months now and so far no complaints whatsoever. The only thing I notice as far as feel versus the BG2 I had is that the metal tabs on the battery pull out seems a little thinner than that on the K-7, but if that is my only complaint, it was well worth the $150+ I saved by buying the Pentax branded model.

Jason
11-20-2010, 05:08 AM   #163

I have the DX version since March. It's been mounted on my K7 almost always since then. So far I've noticed the print faded on all the buttons by the on-off button. I really don't use those buttons at all (although they function fine). I guess the fading is from my hand rubbing against them. Aside from this flaw, I don't have a single complaint.
01-12-2011, 02:10 PM   #164
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
battery grip for K7

Don't waste your money buying the third party K7 (D-BG4) battery grip. I just bought one, loaded the battery into it and the lock tab broke off. Am sending back and will buy the OEM version
01-14-2011, 12:30 PM   #165
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use my thirdparty grip (DealExtreme version) for more than a year right now on almost daily bases with no problem at all. The grip almost never leaves my camera other than for replacing the battery of the camera

You just had bad luck and recieved a defective one.

I really can recomend the DealExtreme version to everyone.

So don't wast you're money on a original one, but buy a DealExtreme version so you have money left to buy an extra lens or so.