Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
03-17-2011, 12:55 PM   #181
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
bummer mate

Ive noticed that its easier to bump the e dial wheels on the OEM grip, as they are rubberized { same as camera}, its not hard to catch them on your clothing etc...

but every-time I press the Grip shutter button..I know the little bit f pain is worth it..

03-17-2011, 01:20 PM   #182

Photos: Gallery
I bought the OEM grip recently. I had a look at the cheaper ones but just couldn't do it. I had the OEM on my old K200D and loved it, so I wanted one on my K7.

I couldn't be happier. The grip is just amazing! The build quality is impeccable (like the camera) and the feel in so nice now. I have large hands so it helps a lot. Knowing that it is weather sealed is also a huge benefit.

I put 6 fresh Eneloops in the grip and carry extras. With all the batteries in the camera and grip charged full, I haven't seen the battery meter reduce at all. Even after shooting in blizzard conditions for a long time. Portrait holding is perfect too.

When mounting the camera on a tri-pod and grip, I am confident that the grip will hold tight to the body, even with the weight of a lens.

Very happy with my purchase of the Pentax BG-4 grip.
03-23-2011, 10:27 AM   #183
Veteran Member

Got my K-5, wanted to get a grip for it too. Though I already know the original grip cost $200 before I get the k-5, it still hard to believe.

My K200d original battery grip only cost $40 include tax from Amazon when I bought it two years ago. I will buy the original one for K-5/K-7 if it was $70-$80, but it is $200! I will try out the camera without the grip for a while and see if I should get a grip.

I can see that the Type-2 grip is very similar to the Pentax one except the rubber sealing. I am not sure if the weather sealing worth the $150.

Come on Pentax, you can make a $40 grip for K200, sure you can make a $80 grip for K-5. I know many friends who doesn't buy the grip because of the price, but if you lower the price they are willing to try it out. Just like I did with my K200 grip.... it is reasonably priced at $40 and I just got to try it out --- it make the handling so much better, and I like my Pentax more.

Oh well.... decision decision.... $60 or $200 grip!

Lee
03-23-2011, 01:46 PM   #184
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
Got my K-5, wanted to get a grip for it too. Though I already know the original grip cost $200 before I get the k-5, it still hard to believe.

My K200d original battery grip only cost $40 include tax from Amazon when I bought it two years ago. I will buy the original one for K-5/K-7 if it was $70-$80, but it is $200! I will try out the camera without the grip for a while and see if I should get a grip.

I can see that the Type-2 grip is very similar to the Pentax one except the rubber sealing. I am not sure if the weather sealing worth the $150.

Come on Pentax, you can make a $40 grip for K200, sure you can make a $80 grip for K-5. I know many friends who doesn't buy the grip because of the price, but if you lower the price they are willing to try it out. Just like I did with my K200 grip.... it is reasonably priced at $40 and I just got to try it out --- it make the handling so much better, and I like my Pentax more.

Oh well.... decision decision.... $60 or $200 grip!

Lee
it aint just the sealing mate ...its the overall quality ..the OEM knocks the third party one for six..I wish it wasn't that way..but thats the facts...get the OEM..and buy it only once...or do as I did ..get the knock off, then the OEM and kick yourself for being cheap

03-23-2011, 03:05 PM   #185

QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
it aint just the sealing mate ...its the overall quality ..the OEM knocks the third party one for six..I wish it wasn't that way..but thats the facts...get the OEM..and buy it only once...or do as I did ..get the knock off, then the OEM and kick yourself for being cheap
I agree. As I stated in my earlier post, I couldn't be happier with the OEM. I noticed right away that there is a steel plate on the inside battery compartment on the bottom mount. I assume this is to give it more strength and rigidity when mounted to a tripod. Not sure if the cheap one has this or not but from what I've read it's solely plastic. This is a big deal for me when using heavier lenses that don't have the lens collar mount. All that force pulling on the grip mounted to the camera.

Again, the quality is what sold me. However, I do agree that it is expensive. I was lucky and just sold my K100DS to pay for it. There was plenty left over..
03-25-2011, 08:15 AM   #186
Veteran Member

Thanks Tom and Seam for the advise...

I do have the original grip on k200 and that is only $40 net!
Trying my luck on the 'wanted item' section to see if I can find a used OEM K-7 grip.

Hm... spent quite a bit already on my k-5:
$1350 body only;
+ $14 hard LCD protector;
+ $17 spare battery;
+ $10 additional battery charger (w/ car adapter);
+ $200 grip (??)

Oh well...

Lee
03-25-2011, 03:30 PM   #187
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Seamripper Quote
I agree. As I stated in my earlier post, I couldn't be happier with the OEM. I noticed right away that there is a steel plate on the inside battery compartment on the bottom mount. I assume this is to give it more strength and rigidity when mounted to a tripod. Not sure if the cheap one has this or not but from what I've read it's solely plastic. This is a big deal for me when using heavier lenses that don't have the lens collar mount. All that force pulling on the grip mounted to the camera.

Again, the quality is what sold me. However, I do agree that it is expensive. I was lucky and just sold my K100DS to pay for it. There was plenty left over..
my third party grip has the metal plate...

03-25-2011, 03:35 PM   #188
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
Thanks Tom and Seam for the advise...

I do have the original grip on k200 and that is only $40 net!
Trying my luck on the 'wanted item' section to see if I can find a used OEM K-7 grip.

Hm... spent quite a bit already on my k-5:
$1350 body only;
+ $14 hard LCD protector;
+ $17 spare battery;
+ $10 additional battery charger (w/ car adapter);
+ $200 grip (??)

Oh well...

Lee
I feel you pain old mate...I bought a K7 for full retail, then two months later traded it in for A K5 for full retail..but only got half the value for the K7.....I put that down to experience .....

I managed to score my Grip from the market place , I think it was $180 including the shipping...a newy from B&H would have cost me $220 plus the deal killer of $50 postage...my grip was two months old and I got it from a member that went to Nikon ..keep looking. they do come up
03-26-2011, 02:27 AM   #189
Veteran Member

Random input here (and some rage).

I've bought three 3rd party grips for my k-7. All faulty. The wheels doesn't work properly with the camera (k-7). It seems the contact isn't 100% right with the camera for some reason.

One of the grips works pretty good, both wheels register right movement like 90% of the times.

Got them for 33 dollars each. IMO it's worth getting a broken 3rd party grip before paying 384 dollars for the original grip (best price in Sweden). That's over 10 times the price. WTF, who is stupid enough to buy a original grip? As someone said in another thread, they deserve to part from their money. For 384 dollars you could probably get a new k-x, go figure whats more expensive to manufacture, a camera or a grip?
03-26-2011, 03:11 AM   #190
Veteran Member

yep I agree the price of the grip is scandalous ....but is three cheap grips that dont work...

why not buy form B&H for $270 US..still a lot of coin I know...but the $170 difference dont seem as bad
03-26-2011, 05:26 AM   #191
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Strange. Currently, Amazon (in the US) has the grip selling for 200 dollars. That is a huge difference...
03-26-2011, 10:50 AM   #192
Veteran Member

If I buy from the US I need to pay tax on that + expensive shipping. The dollar is extremely weak vs swedish kr right now and prices here doesn't go down because of the weak dollar. Computer components is very cheap tho.

2500kr is the price with tax for a pentax grip here. Before the dollar went down 2500kr was closer to 250 dollars than 384.

Sold one of the broken grips, going to sell another too. Will probably make a profit and keeping one and noone will feel ripped off because a functional 3rd part grip in swedish stores goes for about 100 dollars (wich I got 3 for on ebay).
03-26-2011, 03:46 PM   #193
Veteran Member

dunno what Tax you need to pay in Sweden..but at the current exchange rates you can have a US $250 grip from B&H to you door for 1,594.25 Kr...not including any Tax....so what Tax does your country impose on you ?is it a import tax, or VAT/GST

at 2;500 KR that a whooping 1.000 Kr for the tax..{ $160 US} tax...

here in Aus, as long as the purchase is under $1000, we dont get hit for any extra payments..which is surprising as we are one of the most heavily taxed countrys ..dont help you any..but I thought id share my good fortune..LOL
03-26-2011, 04:34 PM   #194
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
here in Aus, as long as the purchase is under $1000, we dont get hit for any extra payments..which is surprising as we are one of the most heavily taxed countrys ..dont help you any..but I thought id share my good fortune..LOL
They will probably start taxing us for under $1000 items soon
03-26-2011, 04:38 PM   #195
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
They will probably start taxing us for under $1000 items soon
they will if Gerry Harvey gets his way...if they do..Ill send it too me old mums, then get her to post it here...