Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
10-22-2011, 05:28 PM   #211
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

After about 20 months, my DealExtreme Battery Grip isn't functional anymore: the ISO button stopped responding, and then, not long after, fell out. My solution: just ordered another one from them. Apart from that though, that grip has served me just fine.

Also, I do have a feeling there's two versions of the DealExtreme Battery Grip; or at least they've improved it over time. I've got two of them (for 2 bodies), the first one being the one mentioned above (bought Jan 2010), and the second (bought Mar 2011). The markings on the first one rubbed off a few weeks in, and the plastic is a bit more glossy and shiny.

10-22-2011, 06:55 PM   #212
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
After about 20 months, my DealExtreme Battery Grip isn't functional anymore: the ISO button stopped responding, and then, not long after, fell out. My solution: just ordered another one from them. Apart from that though, that grip has served me just fine.

Also, I do have a feeling there's two versions of the DealExtreme Battery Grip; or at least they've improved it over time. I've got two of them (for 2 bodies), the first one being the one mentioned above (bought Jan 2010), and the second (bought Mar 2011). The markings on the first one rubbed off a few weeks in, and the plastic is a bit more glossy and shiny.
Wow, you've had your grip for a long time. Did you have any problems with the battery door knob lever? Mine bent when I secured the grip battery door, and eventually it snapped and became unusable. Does yours have a similar problem?
10-22-2011, 07:45 PM   #213
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by darrenleow Quote
Wow, you've had your grip for a long time. Did you have any problems with the battery door knob lever? Mine bent when I secured the grip battery door, and eventually it snapped and became unusable. Does yours have a similar problem?
My one has two battery modules and the standard camera battery module has a twister/lever that flops about and won't stay in the recess. I don't really mind though as I stopped using mine with a battery due to camera lock-ups in the middle of a shot. In those cases the only thing that would allow me to switch OFF my camera was to physically remove the grip from the camera as the power switch would not work.

I intend to buy two genuine Pentax grips from B&H soon as I'd really like to be able to power the camera from the grip and I don't want to take any chances from here with these cheapies. B&H sell genuine grips for under 1/2 the local price and batteries at 1/3.

Regarding the paint coming off: The Chinese got into trouble not so long ago for painting kids toys with lead based paints. In the end you get what you pay for, including an assurance of safe materials and consistent standards.
10-22-2011, 09:08 PM   #214
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by darrenleow Quote
Nope, never had a problem in that regard with both grips.

10-23-2011, 01:47 AM   #215
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thankfully, my dealextreme grip is serving me well since I got in on March 2011. THe plastic is now super shiny and the marking are all gone but it is still going strong.
12-06-2011, 07:44 PM   #216

Photos: Albums
Wondering if this is type 2 that everyone preferred / deemed to be higher quality:
DSTE BATTERY GRIP FOR PENTAX K-7 K-5 D-BG4 +2 X D-LI90 | eBay

From the pic it looks like the type 2...have anyone used the 3rd party chinese battery aswell ?
12-06-2011, 08:17 PM   #217
Veteran Member

Yes that's it.. that's the one I have. It has the metal posts, unlike many of the other units available, and only lacks the rubber weather seals and rubber cushions on the mount surface.

The textured surface is wearing off of mine (the shiny plastic parts only) and I would love to know what materials were used there. I'm starting to think that paying the full amount for the genuine grip would have been a safer way to go given the Chinese history for using toxic materials in their products. They've been known to use lead based paints in children's toys for instance.

12-07-2011, 02:30 AM   #218
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Azzy Quote
Wondering if this is type 2 that everyone preferred / deemed to be higher quality:
DSTE BATTERY GRIP FOR PENTAX K-7 K-5 D-BG4 +2 X D-LI90 | eBay

From the pic it looks like the type 2...have anyone used the 3rd party chinese battery aswell ?
The grip looks quite similar to the DealExtreme one, so is quite possibly the type 2 one; can't comment on the battery though.
12-07-2011, 02:44 AM   #219
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Yes that's it.. that's the one I have. It has the metal posts, unlike many of the other units available, and only lacks the rubber weather seals and rubber cushions on the mount surface.

The textured surface is wearing off of mine (the shiny plastic parts only) and I would love to know what materials were used there. I'm starting to think that paying the full amount for the genuine grip would have been a safer way to go given the Chinese history for using toxic materials in their products. They've been known to use lead based paints in children's toys for instance.
I'm going to buy a genuine grip soon and retire the DX grip to backup. As affordable as it is, I've always felt that it lowered the overall tactile experience of the camera when it was mounted because of the hollow shiny plastic, loose dials and mushy buttons.
12-07-2011, 09:10 AM   #220
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have 3 el cheapo batteries in addition to the Pentax one that came with the K-7. One the fast-talking sales guy at Abe's of Maine up-sold me, and the other two came with the 3-party grip. I haven't done anything quantitative, but certainly haven't noticed a big problem with any of them. One is going on 2 years old, the others were May 2010. So I've used all three reasonably heavily (we're talking maybe a few thousand shutter clicks and an hour or two of video time, here).

Last edited by fewayne; 12-07-2011 at 09:21 AM.
02-07-2012, 04:19 AM   #221

Yesterday received my grip from ebay, :/ im pretty happy for what I paid, 33 pounds ! In UK original DBG4 cost you 200 pounds ! Good value for the money, we will see for how long this will last.
02-07-2012, 09:33 PM   #222
Inactive Account

Didn't seem to have the issue on my K20D with 3rd party batteries, but with the K-5 and a 3rd part battery, the camera "hung" as the battery was getting low. Ended up having to pop the battery out to bring the camera back around; scared the crap out of me as I was on a work-related outing and forgot that battery was in there...

QuoteOriginally posted by fewayne Quote
I have 3 el cheapo batteries in addition to the Pentax one that came with the K-7. One the fast-talking sales guy at Abe's of Maine up-sold me, and the other two came with the 3-party grip. I haven't done anything quantitative, but certainly haven't noticed a big problem with any of them. One is going on 2 years old, the others were May 2010. So I've used all three reasonably heavily (we're talking maybe a few thousand shutter clicks and an hour or two of video time, here).
02-08-2012, 02:47 AM   #223

i use Phottix brand battery grip for Pentax K7 and its great!
06-18-2012, 07:33 PM   #224
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for everyone's input on the 3rd party battery grips. After weighing many (not all) of your posts, I will order an OEM grip for my week old K5. My main reason for getting a battery grip is if I should ever be in a spot where all I had access to were AA batteries, this would be a bacon saver. I really don't want to hose up the best camera I've ever owned....and the posts here give me serious doubts as to the safety of the knockoffs. Update 10/17/12 - Still haven't bothered to buy a battery grip. I had my K-5 firing away for 100s of shots and the battery has help up just fine. Did buy a spare battery, just in case. Am still very happy with this camera.

Last edited by DizziPixel; 10-17-2012 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Incomplete content
06-19-2012, 04:59 AM   #225
Veteran Member

I may have to buy an aftermarket grip. Pentax Australia list the D-BG4 at A$399 (that's just over US$400). If it was under A$200, I'd probably buy the genuine article.

Now, should I guy one with a pair of batteries? Those worry me more than the grip.