Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2009, 07:58 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Happy new K-x owner w/questions

I just received my K-x yesterday. Have to say I'm impressed. I've shot with a Canon 20D and 5Dmk1, and Pentax K10D and this K-x just does such a great job on so many levels. I'm blown away by the high ISO performance even after expecting a lot. To my eyes it nearly matches the 5Dmk1, which is no small feat.

Anyhow, a couple of questions for you K-x owners:

1) Do you use the D-Range function? If so, have you found a "sweet spot" in terms of settings for the shadow compensation (i.e. low, medium or high)? Is there any disadvantage to using D-Range?

2) I've noticed a pretty consistent underexposure by 1/3 - 2/3 stop. This was true on my K10D as well, and I pretty much always had EC set to +1/3 or +2/3. I've only shot in very limited conditions so far, though, so it might not be true across the board.

Finally, here are a couple of quick shots (all taken with the FA50/1.4):

12-08-2009, 08:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
nice shots! What settings were you using? Wish I could answer your questions, but I'm getting my k-x tomorrow morning... can't wait!
12-08-2009, 08:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks. Aperture priority, RAW, basic processing in Lightroom. The FA50 is a nice little lens!
12-08-2009, 10:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

That first shot is great.

I've been really enjoying my K-x as well. So much so that my K-7 has been sitting idle for over a week--a first since I bought it.

I don't use d-Range or exposure comp, so I guess I'm useless to you here. I do notice a slight underexposure with most lenses but it's pretty easily fixable in LR, so I haven't bothered with in-body correction.

12-09-2009, 12:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
i shoot raw and do exposure compensation in post.

But i have seen examples of the shadow comp levels and i think minimum level is best.
12-09-2009, 11:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by switters Quote
1) Do you use the D-Range function?
I don't use it on my K200D, simply because it doesn't do anything I can't do myself in PP - and using it limits one to shooting JPEG or using PPL for PP.

QuoteQuote:
2) I've noticed a pretty consistent underexposure by 1/3 - 2/3 stop. This was true on my K10D as well, and I pretty much always had EC set to +1/3 or +2/3.
Underexposure / overexposure is in the eye of the beholder. Many people erroneously think "correct" exposure should result in a centered histogram - or, worse, one that is pushed all the way to the right. But in reality, a correct exposure by ISO standards should be centered on the *left* side of the histogram (by half a stop or so). And if the correct exposure would result in a blown highlight, it is to be expected that the camera will expose darker still to prevent that.

Note that none of this says one word about how you might subjectively have wanted the the picture to look. That's not part of the equation.