Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2009, 09:02 PM   #1

Anyone have this problem?

I purchased a K20 in May and have taken over 6,00 pictures. I treat the camera with delicate hands. One morning I was taking some pictures of a beautiful sunrise, downloaded them onto the computer like I normally do, and shut the camera off when I was finished. When I turned the camera on about twenty minutes later, the battery symbol would show on the LCD panel, but then the camera shut off. I tried this several times with the same effect. Hoping this was a simple fix, I took the camera to the local dealer, and he hadn't seen this problem. They mailed my camera to Pentax as a warranty fix and I'll be without my camera for three to four weeks (ouch). Anybody ever seen this problem?

12-08-2009, 09:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Isnt that what happens when the battery is dead? I would think that is the camera telling you the battery is drained. Also, it may be draining alot of battery via the USB transfer - perhaps having the battery drain while transferring files caused a system corruption or something...I havent transferred photos directly from a camera in years. To save battery life, how come you don't use a card reader? They are pretty expensive and often even come with an SD card purchase these days. That is my best guess as to what happened (assuming it wasnt a simple battery drain).
12-08-2009, 10:22 PM   #3

Original Poster
The battery was recently charged, and I also tried it with my back-up battery which was fully charged, and the same problem occured. At the camera shop they also tried a new battery with the same results. Have others had problems by using the usb cable or do most use card readers?
12-08-2009, 11:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dankuno Quote
The battery was recently charged, and I also tried it with my back-up battery which was fully charged, and the same problem occured. At the camera shop they also tried a new battery with the same results. Have others had problems by using the usb cable or do most use card readers?
I've never used anything but a card reader - why drain the camera body?

12-09-2009, 04:40 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Seems like something overheated during the transfer. But, transferring files through USB is a valid function and should not have caused a problem.

I wonder if the camera were left unused overnight without the battery, it might have come back to life?
12-09-2009, 03:09 PM   #6
Inactive Account

I do not have a card reader and always use USB. No problems here.
12-09-2009, 03:23 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
Dont expect it back in 3 weeks.. CRIS has had mine for over 4 weeks now.

12-09-2009, 04:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The USB cable just hangs out of my PC, I very rarely use the reader. I don't think it's any faster, and I've never seen any problem with battery drain on my K10. But I don't leave it connected after downloading.
12-09-2009, 04:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Did you charge the battery and try it again?

I use a $0.99 card-reader from ebay that reads at ~20 MB/s. I prefer it to any possibility of stressing the camera's electronics.
12-10-2009, 08:00 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments. At the camera shop we tried a new battery, so it wasn't the battery. Thanks for the news about being over four weeks. Initially the camera shop told me at least two weeks, but when I went back after two weeks they said warranty repairs take about three and a half weeks. I noticed that others on the list that paid for repairs received theirs back earlier. So if you have warranty it looks like you're at the bottom of the priority list.