Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2009, 10:27 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K7 sensor sound?

Hey,

Apologies if this is in the wrong section. So I bought the new K7 today and am reading the manual now and playing with the camera. And have noticed that when I turn the camera side to side, not only does the information display change its orientation, but I hear a noise, like something sliding inside the camera. I cannot find an answer as to whether this is normal function, or malfunction. To me, it seems like the noise has to do with the orientation shifting, but that is why Im asking, to be 100% sure that nothing is loose inside the camera.

Thanks,

Dan

12-08-2009, 10:40 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What you hear is the sensor assembly moving around. That's a "feature" of the shake reduction. Not until you press the shutter halfway does the sensor lock in place.
12-08-2009, 10:43 PM   #3

Original Poster
Ok great. Good to hear this is a feature and not a malfunction haha!

So, does it lock in whatever position that it last was in, or does it revert to a central position via a motor? Because I understand that this body is equipped with a sensor-shift mechanism which can move the sensor while on a tripod (for example) a good few degrees horizontally and vertically.
12-09-2009, 12:35 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The sensor immediately recenter when engaged.

12-09-2009, 04:50 PM   #5

Yeah... I knew about the feature but I still found it very curious when I cleaned my sensor and it was seriously tilted!

- Itai
Digital Camera Buying Guide, Photography Articles and Reviews | NeoCamera.com
12-28-2009, 01:53 AM   #6

Curious,

Was the sound very high pitch, like a quick screeching? I noticed mine making this sound tonight after turning it on. I thought it could be the sensor doing like a power-on de-dusting or something...but I'm fairly certain it hadn't made such a noticable noise before when turning it on. (just got mine on the 24th).

What is "normal" for this kind of sound?
12-28-2009, 03:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

depends on how loud the sound is... and its hard to understand descriptions of sound on the internet... really need to hear it first hand

also... if the K7 SR mechanism is similar to the K20D, which it should be, then the sensor is being held in position by a few electromagnets...

when the device is off, then clearly the sensor will move around a bit as you move as the electromagnets receive no power... i.e. the sensor is effectively floating in space - no motors (which would be highly unreliable over time) to keep things in position

12-28-2009, 09:11 AM   #8

Well, it is a faint high-pitch sound. I'd liken it to the sound of a pinpoint on glass. It does seem to be the dust shake system at startup as the sound is made again when I manually run it.

I guess I'm not sure if it sounds normal or not as I didn't notice it before. If anyone could manually run their dust removal and report back about what it sounds like, I'd be most grateful.

Last edited by gooberlx; 12-28-2009 at 09:21 AM.
01-05-2010, 03:15 PM   #9

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gooberlx Quote
Well, it is a faint high-pitch sound. I'd liken it to the sound of a pinpoint on glass. It does seem to be the dust shake system at startup as the sound is made again when I manually run it.

I guess I'm not sure if it sounds normal or not as I didn't notice it before. If anyone could manually run their dust removal and report back about what it sounds like, I'd be most grateful.
You can check in Setup Menu, page 4, Dust Removal if the "Start-up action" option is checked. If yes, this explains that sound at startup - the dust removal function runs each time when you power on the camera. If you change lenses often during a session, then you can leave it this way, but otherwise it is not needed in my opinion. You can run it manually whenever you think it is necessary.