Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2009, 06:26 AM   #1

do you miss your top LCD screen?

I am considering the K-x, but it does not that the LCD screen on top. I wonder if I will miss that feature (I have the K110D now and find the LCD useful)

So to those who owns the K-x, do you miss that feature?

12-09-2009, 06:30 AM   #2

Hi

I had a K100D and now have a Kx and I slightly miss the top LCD but to be honest I rely more on the veiwfinder display now and if settings are to be changed I use the back LCD - when you see the back LCD you'll wonder why you ever needed a top LCD.

Mike
12-09-2009, 07:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

My K200D has a top LCD, my K-x doesn't.

I don't really miss the top LCD. The rear display on the K-x is pretty good and all the info I need is available there or in the viewfinder. Also the K200D top LCD screen is not illuminated, so for much of my photography, which is often low-light or after dark, in practice the top LCD may as well not be there. So using the K-x, I don't miss the top LCD much.
12-09-2009, 11:40 AM   #4
Inactive Account

i had a *ist DL and i think it had a top lcd.
jumped to a k10, then to k2000 now to a kx

i don't miss it at all. the Kx's rear lcd is pretty good.

12-09-2009, 11:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't even pay attention to the top LCD much on my K-7, in fact the back LCD is all there is needed to see what there is to be needed. Not only that but it is easier to access than the top LCD, meaning it's easier to take your head off the viewfinder and look at the back then replace your head, rather than taking your head off the viewfinder then tipping your head or camera at your eye level just to see then replacing that then your head; Maybe I'm just lazy but yeah.
12-09-2009, 04:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I also seldom pay attention to the top LCD but I sure would miss the focus points for sure if I had a K-x.
12-09-2009, 04:58 PM   #7

I guess I'll beg to differ then. I always find myself looking down at the thing wondering where my display went. Not too big of a deal though!

I keep the back lcd turned off pretty much always, except for image review and even then it isn't set to auto review.

I find myself using the info in the viewfinder in place of the top LCD. That's actually been a big help as it's trained my eyes to look more at that info while shooting.

Chris

12-09-2009, 05:40 PM   #8
Inactive Account

My old Nikon that I sold had a display on top that I didn't use much. I don't miss it on my K-X. But like QT above, I don't keep the LCD on and try to use the viewfinder info as much as possible. I went through a lazy phase where I didn't pay as close attention to what was going on in the VF and my photos suffered for it.
12-09-2009, 05:43 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I don't have a K-x, but doubt I'd miss the top LCD at all. I rarely look at it now except for a quick look at my settings when I first take the camera out of the bag. Wouldn't take but a day to retrain myself to look at the rear LCD for this.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 12-10-2009 at 11:36 AM.
12-10-2009, 07:29 AM   #10
Forum Member

I'm coming from a K10D to the K-x and while I used the top LCD screen on the K10D, I actually prefer using the larger, color display on the K-x (remember what it was like going from a monochrome computer monitor to color?). My eye has to leave the viewfinder to look at either, so why not use a display that is much easier to read and puts all the information in one place.
12-10-2009, 09:37 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I hardly ever look at it so I would have to say no, I wouldn't miss it at all.
12-10-2009, 10:26 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
i would look at the top lcd all the time on the k20d, and now with the kx i look at the rear or at the info in the view finder instead... it makes no difference to how you use the camera.

you will miss the 2nd dial, and certain buttons more :P
12-10-2009, 10:31 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I have a K100D with top LCD,
and now a Kx without top LCD.

With the K100D I glance at the top LCD mainly for battery condition and somewhat for the remaining shots - most of the time both these are kind of moot - as I use eneloops and large enough capacity SD cards not to normally have to worry about them.

However when nearing the end of battery capacity - I tend to look at the battery status far more often.

With the Kx I actually do not miss the top LCD - since most of the time I am in the dark and then top LCD can be harder to see - whereas the rear LCD screen is big and easily viewable in the dark.

Most of the time on the Kx I have the Status Screen turned off (press Info button twice) so I cannot quite keep an eye on battery or remaining shots (remaining shots is shown in the viewfinder after each shot in place of the ISO setting) - but like I said most of the time this is moot. However toward the end of the battery capacity I now know to turn the Status screen back on, so that I can glance at the rear LCD after each shot, if necessary, to see the battery status. Or if I forget or think it's disturbing - I know I merely have to press the Info button to seen the Status screen.

So with the K100D I would have thought I'd miss the top LCD -
But with the Kx implementation of the Status Screen I do not miss a top LCD on the Kx.

While I am here I have to praise the implementation of the Control Panel -

I really like this feature where I can set almost all the most used settings for the Kx - the really nice feature is that "radiating" crescent symbol shown under the Custom Color panel (top left) this allows quick changing of that setting with the e--dial without having to open the menu.

I think that's a really great implementation and makes the rear LCD screen more useful - than just for reviewing and pre-setting the camera
12-10-2009, 11:38 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
you will miss the 2nd dial, and certain buttons more :P
Except that coming from the K110D, he has no second dial already, and the K-x actually has more dedicated buttons.
12-10-2009, 04:23 PM   #15
Forum Member

I miss it in the sense that I did not have to fully tilt my camera body. The down time for me in negligible, but depending on your demand it could be costly.