Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2009, 12:27 PM   #1
Forum Member

Blackberry Depth of Field Calculator!

I've been wishing/looking for a DOF Calculator application for my Blackberry for months (iPhone has had one for quite a while). Well lo-and-behold yesterday afternoon I found one!

It's only .99, which I gladly paid, and it seems pretty good (I'm not connected with the seller in any way). It's much faster than browsing to the dof calculator web site and if you're in an area with low/no signal this one still works. Here's a link if anyone else is interested.

Depth of Field Calculator - Personal Productivity BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Apps Store

The only thing I found out that has to be done is disable compatability mode after it's installed.

12-09-2009, 01:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Looks interesting. Does the application permit you to save your defaults, such as 1.5x crop factor rather than the 1.6 as displayed?
12-09-2009, 01:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Cool. I can see how that would be useful. I don't see one made for the iPhone yet.

Edit: Oops, I take it back. Looks like there are something like 10 of them. I didn't search by DoF.

Last edited by PentaxPoke; 12-09-2009 at 01:35 PM.
12-09-2009, 01:53 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
I don't think so, but I can email the author and ask to be sure. Perhaps if enough people are interested he'll add it for us.

QuoteQuote:
Looks interesting. Does the application permit you to save your defaults, such as 1.5x crop factor rather than the 1.6 as displayed?

12-09-2009, 02:42 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Reply From Developer About Saving Crop Factor

I emailed the developer and he replied that he can change it so that the application saves the last used crop factor so it comes up as the default the next time the app is started.

He also asked what we thought about having the last used lens length and fstop saved too. What do you think? I can't see that it would hurt.

QuoteOriginally posted by elcahall Quote
I don't think so, but I can email the author and ask to be sure. Perhaps if enough people are interested he'll add it for us.
QuoteOriginally posted by rormeister Quote
12-09-2009, 04:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Why not maintain data?

When I'm shooting in aperture mode, which is often, it makes sense to save the last aperture used.

Focal length is not so critical for me as I'm often using a zoom but there are certainly hordes of prime-oriented users here.

And now that I just got my new Blackberry ..... I'm a happy guy and can take the clumsy DOF wheel off my gift list!
12-09-2009, 04:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elcahall Quote
I emailed the developer and he replied that he can change it so that the application saves the last used crop factor so it comes up as the default the next time the app is started.

He also asked what we thought about having the last used lens length and fstop saved too. What do you think? I can't see that it would hurt.
When it comes to Phone Apps, the more defaults the easier it is to use. I say great.

Down side, I wanted to pay him using my PayPal balance. But the process requires me to once again add my Credit Card info. Not happening...PayPal is enough!

12-09-2009, 07:46 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
DOF App Updated

The DOF app developer has updated the app. All settings are now saved when the app is closed so the last settings used are default when it's restarted.

Ror, I've asked him about accepting PayPal.
12-11-2009, 09:13 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
PayPal

I emailed the developer about PayPal and he told me that PayPal should be available as a payment option.
12-11-2009, 11:05 AM   #10
Veteran Member

yup...but only if you re-enter all your CC security information first. I don't like giving out that detail more than once. PM me with this fellow's e-mail address and I'll explain to him my quandary. Thanks for researching this little app. For $0.99 it's a bargain, but not worth giving away my credit info for.