Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2006, 08:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Initial K10-D Impressions

Well, i'm one of the I guess you can say few "lucky" ones to get a hold of the K10, and one of the very first ones here in my side of the coast. I couldn't really play w/ her in terms of actually taking serious shots (outside of , oh, look, lemme take a macro shot of sock lint, just because I can take a nice 10 MP shot it)

anyway, the camera feels solid, really really solid. this is my first DSLR body (3rd Pentax Body), but after about 2 years of "thinking" of switching to the other 2 companies that will remain nameless, the feel of the K10, I would say rivals that of the D200, the others in it's price range feels less robust.

secondly, as everyone here already knows, the control layout is 2nd to none. one reason i could never bring myself to going to Cn was the horrid controls on their low to mid level DSLR's. The D2 and the D8 from Nk has a similar control layout, but I much prefer Pentax's.

Navigating my way around the menu was very much like navigating around my 3.2 MP optio 33LF (except w/ a few more options) the screen is nice and clear, tho, I find it a bit washy when previewing pics (cant explain, but I cant get a good judge of the pic when I look through it real fast, but then again, it is just for previewing).

The body w/o the grip fits my rather large hands fairly well, though those that are used to the *ist D line, K1xx lines, may need to getting used to. (I am moving from an *ist, which in comparison is tiny compared to the k10).

I carried it around today for lunch, and after a few minutes, the wieght didnt bug me that much. the grip area where the battery is, feels comfortable, very comfortable.

So far w/ my current sigma lenses (28-80 and 70-210) and the kit (18-55mm) lens, the AF responds rather quickly (quicker compared to the *ist film), though a bit on the noisy side, but thats just the lens. It can pick up and refocus pretty fast. I played w/ it on low light situations, and tho it took some time to focus, it did it faster than my older bodies.

Image quality is great, tho, the shots i've taken have been really just random things here and there, nothing worth posting.

all in all, I really am glad I waited for this body, and really am glad that I didnt jump to NK. For those that are thinking about getting it, well, visit a retailer and hold one. After I held the one in the photo expo, i pretty much ran to reserve it. BUT it is a bit too much camera for the beginner type or the casual type.

the few things that do annoy me are...

the SR shakes when its off, sounds like it's broken when ur just walking around, but after a while you wont notice it.

the top LCD doesnt light up when you press the shutter release, you have to press the light button all the time

the few things that did suprise me

built in flash is adjustable by .5 steps. power it up to +2 or underpwer it by -1.

SR is really great

just an all around well built camera.

hopefully this holiday weekend, I can take some more photos.....and share...

I just gotta tell y'all it's well worth the wait...

i know how the others feel, after reading the west guys getting it already...
i was going nuts...

i've played extensively w/ the digit reb, d50 and 30D, tho albeit older, Pentax sure does have a winner in their hands..especially if it's going up against the sub 1k dslr market

11-21-2006, 08:15 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cool!

Glad you like the K10D. It seems to make everyone happy. Glad that it still has a top mounted lcd. Many cameras are getting rid of this feature. Its a + that its lighted! The size worries me a little. Used to the DS. Even ordered the grip for the K10D. So it will be even bigger. Oh well. I will manage. Have you tried developing any raw shot in camera vs the supplied computer software? My camera should arrive shortly. Shoot that camera. Be glad you didn't switch to N*k*n.
thanks
barondla
11-22-2006, 05:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Yeah, sounds great still though. I am bidding hard on pentax primes at present. A bidding war...

looking forward to your photos