Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2016, 04:36 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A couple of weeks ago, I experienced the same thing, but in a day or two, it worked itself out without any help from me! My computer fix-it shop said they had a brand new SDHC card reader for my PC and it cost $14.95.... INSTALLED!

02-09-2016, 10:34 AM   #17

Tha. Bit annoying that pc is brand new and it worked before also on windows 10 :-/ will try usb3 micro cable. kind regards M
02-09-2016, 02:39 PM   #18
Des
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcel K Quote
Tha. Bit annoying that pc is brand new and it worked before also on windows 10 :-/ will try usb3 micro cable. kind regards M
Built-in card readers in computers often get bits of dust and fluff in them, which can make them temperamental. The same goes for USB ports too. It might be worth trying to clean out the reader (people variously use blowers, compressed air cans, a bamboo skewer, a toothpick or some fine pointed swab with alcohol). Perhaps also try cleaning the contacts on the SD card with a cotton bud dipped in alcohol.
02-15-2016, 07:23 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery
I ran into this issue recently on my Dell 8700 on Windows 10. What I did to fix the problem... power down the PC, unplug it for about 30 seconds (to kill power to the motherboard), then fire it back up.

02-16-2016, 11:37 AM   #20

Will try that. BTW the card works fine and transferring Through usb3 cable works. Does any have long time experience using the usb3 cable? It all looks a bit fragile to me all these tiny pins. Kind regards M
02-18-2016, 09:57 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
Two thoughts:

1) Bad card reader? Certainly not the first time I have seen one fail.

2) Assuming you are using Windows, do not use the "Unplug/Eject" hardware before you pull out the SD card from the reader. This will actually turn off the reader and you will need to reboot the computer.
Ditto this i had the same problem on my windows lap top, I used a "add on card reader" that connected bu the USB port and then it worked. Eventually the built in reader started to work again. Maybe one of the updates corrected the issue.
02-18-2016, 02:53 PM   #22

Ok I'll add my 2 cents worth, had the same problem and thought the card was failing and needed to be replaced. What I did was gently rub the SD card contacts with a clean pencil eraser and then a micro fiber cloth with a touch of lens cleaning solution. The card was instantly readable in my PC reader, that was 6 months ago and all is good.

Dave
02-18-2016, 02:58 PM   #23
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Hi maybe revive this thread?
Anyone encounter the following:
I use a fairly recent Dell pc Windows 10
Untill last week had no problem transfer pics from 32gig sdhc (k3) via pc sd card slot.
As of today pc fails to recognise sd card.
sd card is fully functioning on K3.
Any suggestions?
If you have a dell desktop, those are known to have flaky multi-readers. Try turning off your computer for about a minute, and then power it back on. Hopefully your card will then be recognized.

When my dell card reader decides to die, a normal reboot doesn't do the trick. Neither does the device manager. You have to let the computer sit in a powerless state for a bit, for some reason. Hope this helps!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-18-2016, 03:11 PM   #24
Site Supporter

Will try that. BTW the card works fine and transferring Through usb3 cable works. Does any have long time experience using the usb3 cable? It all looks a bit fragile to me all these tiny pins. Kind regards M
I've used the cables for years on several cameras and have no problems, I much prefer that than taking a card in and out of the camera.
02-19-2016, 08:12 AM   #25
Site Supporter

If you have too many devices connected that act as portable storage you will run into a limit on how many are recognized at once. Example: If I connect my cell to the tower for charging, and have my mp3 player charging, then the multi-reader won't read any sd cards I insert. Disconnect either mp3 player or cellphone and boom... card reader works.
02-21-2016, 02:24 PM   #26

If you have a dell desktop, those are known to have flaky multi-readers. Try turning off your computer for about a minute, and then power it back on. Hopefully your card will then be recognized.
When my dell card reader decides to die, a normal reboot doesn't do the trick. Neither does the device manager. You have to let the computer sit in a powerless state for a bit, for some reason. Hope this helps!

Yo guys,

Many thanks for all your suggestions. Card was fine after I checked with USB3micro cable. Also formatted the card just to be sure.
Two weeks later I did a proper reboot (no restart, but power off and unplug, like Adam suggested).
Card magically gets recognised again, no sweat! (no cleaning card and reader involved).

Problem solved (for now ;-)

kind regards, M