Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2009, 02:40 PM   #1

[langtitle=nl]sd card works in camera, but is not recognised by pc[/langtitle]

can anyone tell me what I do wrong??
I have 2 SD cards which are not recognised in the card readers with the PC.
They show however pictures on the camera screen??:

12-09-2009, 02:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

If it's a SDHC your PC card reader must support SDHC
Older readers do not support High Capacity card reading.
12-09-2009, 02:50 PM   #3
Inactive Account

I had the same problem with my K20 when I bought it. I was using a USB 1.2 4 way hub.

I replaced it with a USB2 hub and all was well.
12-09-2009, 02:50 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Are they SDHC Cards, by chance? Some card readers are not compatible with cards over 2GB (SDHC). I had to replace my 4 year old card reader when I went to the high capacity cards as the SDHC standard wasn't in effect at the time it was made.

12-09-2009, 02:56 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm betting you didn't format the cards did you?
You will need to download the files from the camera and then format the card.
This presumes that your reader is compliant with the cards.
12-09-2009, 03:26 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
Most likey the reader does not support sdhc.

SDHC cards are usually larger then 2gb.

You can find a few 4gb non-sdhc though. Transcend makes one.

If your usb reader supports sdhc it will not matter what version of USB your computer has. It will just read/write slower using usb 1.0 vs 1.1 or 2.0.

Your OS should be able to read whatever is on the card regardless if its in fat 16/32 or ntfs. Formatting is not needed just to read it if your camera has already written pictures to it. The only way this would be needed was if you formatted it under linux using ext3 or 3 and windows wont read it without extra drivers or hfs+ mac format for that matter.
12-09-2009, 03:36 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thnaks for the fast responses. However I do not think it is the type of reader or the type of card: One of the 2 cards is a normal SD card.... And the card reader is a USB2.0 one .....

I did delete the pictures in them on the PC using windows explorer, and then started using them again in the camera....

12-09-2009, 04:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

My old PC didn't recognise the SDHC cards but it downloaded the pictures when I connected the K10 to the PC via the USB cable.
12-11-2009, 09:28 AM   #9

Hey Pieterpost, try this. Once you delete the photos, put the card back into the camera and format the card in camera. Always format the card in camera. I reformat the card everytime after making the transfers to the computer and I never experience this problem.
12-11-2009, 09:59 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Two thoughts:

1) Bad card reader? Certainly not the first time I have seen one fail.

2) Assuming you are using Windows, do not use the "Unplug/Eject" hardware before you pull out the SD card from the reader. This will actually turn off the reader and you will need to reboot the computer.
12-11-2009, 03:37 PM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by clmonk Quote
Hey Pieterpost, try this. Once you delete the photos, put the card back into the camera and format the card in camera. Always format the card in camera. I reformat the card everytime after making the transfers to the computer and I never experience this problem.
If you are having to do that, there is a problem. The last time I formatted my main card (Sandisk Extreme III 4Gb) was a year ago.
12-11-2009, 04:17 PM   #12
Veteran Member

There is a card generation in between SDHC and SD, (for example, the sandisk ultra II 2gig); it doesnt say SDHC but the tech is already different from normal SD cards. Are you sure that your reader can read SDHC?

While you figure the issue out, in the meantime you can use the cable that comes with the camera. (*edit: I see that you are already doing this)

QuoteOriginally posted by Oggy Quote
If you are having to do that, there is a problem. The last time I formatted my main card (Sandisk Extreme III 4Gb) was a year ago.
I think this is an old advice from the early days of digital. I see no harm in doing it so that you have a "fresh" card though. I still do this myself as I feel safer doing it than deleting the contents in my PC
02-07-2016, 01:42 PM   #13
Forum Member

Hi maybe revive this thread?
Anyone encounter the following:
I use a fairly recent Dell pc Windows 10
Untill last week had no problem transfer pics from 32gig sdhc (k3) via pc sd card slot.
As of today pc fails to recognise sd card.
sd card is fully functioning on K3.
Any suggestions?
02-07-2016, 03:15 PM   #14
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcel K Quote
Untill last week had no problem transfer pics from 32gig sdhc (k3) via pc sd card slot. As of today pc fails to recognise sd card.
1. Try connecting the camera to the computer with the USB cable and uploading the photos that way.
2. Try putting the card into a card reader and plug it into a USB port instead. (I have found that card readers on my computers sometimes fail to read the card). If that works, the problem is to do with the built-in card reader.
3. If neither USB connection works, try the card in another computer if possible. If it doesn't work there either, I would suspect the card (even though the camera can read it).
02-07-2016, 11:01 PM   #15
Forum Member

Many thanks, will try these options. Kind regards M