Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2009, 03:53 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K7 and lenses

HI

i was under the impression that you were able to use all old Pentax (or fit pentax) lenses with the K7 .......however i have been given a couple of Vivitar lenses that were being used (or should i say are still attached) to ME Super bodies.

The first lens (70-300) fits the K7 ok however it doesnt seem to recognise the A setting with the aperture ring.....

the second lens (smaller vivitar lens) wont even fit the camera - there is a an extra black bit around the aperture pin that wont fit into the camera.........

was i wrong in my assumption??

12-10-2009, 04:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Any K-mount lens will fit the K-7 (or any other Pentax digital SLR camera) with no problem. If you have an old M42 screw-mount lens, you will need an adapter and those lenses will not auto-focus, you must do it yourself like the old days...

Jason
12-10-2009, 04:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
well have a look at this.........photo of the vivitar 28-70 lens that wil not fit

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25376817@N02/4174223592
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25376817@N02/4174223590
12-10-2009, 05:08 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi milesy and welcome to the forums. I don't know about the 28-70 that isn't a standard K mount. However the on the 70-300, I'd try cleaning the contacts on the lens with a pencil eraser, and see if that works. Also match the contacts on that lens with any other lenses that you have. If the contacts are in the same place the K-7 should recognise the aperture.

NaCl(dirty contacts are a frequent culprit)H2O

12-10-2009, 06:35 AM   #5

Ricoh lens

that looks to be a lens for a Ricoh camera and not a true dedicated pentax K mount lens. Ricoh made a camera that used the Pentax bayonet but had extra bits on the back of the lens that would interfere with other parts. some have an extra pin that will make the lens get stuck in certain situations. if the the mount says KR or K-R you can bet it will likely have issues with newer cameras. There are places on the net that will tell you how to dremel the lens to make it work ......

see his note on PK-R lenses near the bottom of his page
http://www.robertstech.com/compat.htm

QuoteOriginally posted by milesy Quote
well have a look at this.........photo of the vivitar 28-70 lens that wil not fit

IMGP3048 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMGP3047 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Last edited by txsbluesguy; 12-10-2009 at 06:45 AM.
12-10-2009, 06:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

On the first picture, you can clearly see in the red marking that it is a PK-A mount, but it also bears the R which means it is a Ricoh compatible lens. If you mount it on a Pentax, it might get stuck.
12-10-2009, 07:21 AM   #7

You can use all old Pentax fit lenses with the K7, but that lens of yours isn't a Pentax (PK) fit but a Ricoh (PKR) fit lens.

Now there is a lot of similarity between the two but they are not the same. Apparently some Ricoh lenses can also lock into a Pentax body and be non removable - so its more dangerous than just having the aperture ring not recognised. Best to research it more thoroughyly before going any further.

Start here perhaps Pentax K mount - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

HI

i was under the impression that you were able to use all old Pentax (or fit pentax) lenses with the K7 .......however i have been given a couple of Vivitar lenses that were being used (or should i say are still attached) to ME Super bodies.

The first lens (70-300) fits the K7 ok however it doesnt seem to recognise the A setting with the aperture ring.....

the second lens (smaller vivitar lens) wont even fit the camera - there is a an extra black bit around the aperture pin that wont fit into the camera.........

12-10-2009, 07:37 AM   #8
Veteran Member

HI

It should. Watch the ricoh pin as others suggested
Uncommon but some vivitar lenses need "trimming". It is generally easy enough either on lens or removing the screws that hold that collar in place and trimming off lens.
Re: Q for Fred - fwcetus re. Vivitar Series 1 lens: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Best one:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=17141294

Last edited by jeffkrol; 12-10-2009 at 07:43 AM.
12-10-2009, 08:11 AM   #9
Pentaxian

HI

No, you were just wrong thinking a Ricoh mount lens is a Pentax mount lens.
It isn't, although Ricoh did base their mount on the Pentax K mount.
12-10-2009, 08:15 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
as jeffkrol and others identified there are 2 issues with one of the lenses,

- first of all it is a pentax/ricoh compatible lens, unfortunately the additional pin used by ricoh can get locked into the auto focus drive of a pentax body making it impossible to remove, there are numerous threads on how to remove this pin.

- second, and it is not "uncommon" but in fact very common that the shield arouond the aperture activation lever is too big on many vivitar lenses and this interferes with the internals of the pentax DSLR bodies.

If this shield is trimmed back to be consistent with other pentax lenses it is OK,

This can be done at the same time you have the lens mount off the camera to remove the "ricoh" pin. once trimmed, paint the cut edge black before reinstalling the lens mount to avoid any reflections off the cut surface.

as for the second lens, it may have a deffective connection in the "A" contact.