Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2009, 03:46 PM   #1

Upgrade from K10D

I've recently sold my K10D+FA50(1.4)+few_manual_lens so that I could upgrade to K7. My current plan is to go for K7 lens kit + 50-200WR + DA 40mm. I can get this all for $1350 with rebates etc. I'm okay with the price.

My intention is to use K7 + DA40 as my general purpose gear. I'm buying other two lenses just because they are just so cheap with pentax rebates(if I buy them with K7).

However, after seeing so many recent posts comparing K7 with Kx, I"m confused with one to go. For me, it narrows down to $400 difference between Kx and K7 with same lens combinations. Among all features, compactness and weather sealing are the ones high in my list.

Is anyone else with same dilemma or any suggestions to me? I'm a novice user, is $400 worthwhile tradeoff for a weather sealing?

Thanks

12-10-2009, 04:09 PM   #2
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vin Quote
I've recently sold my K10D+FA50(1.4)+few_manual_lens so that I could upgrade to K7. My current plan is to go for K7 lens kit + 50-200WR + DA 40mm. I can get this all for $1350 with rebates etc. I'm okay with the price.

My intention is to use K7 + DA40 as my general purpose gear. I'm buying other two lenses just because they are just so cheap with pentax rebates(if I buy them with K7).

However, after seeing so many recent posts comparing K7 with Kx, I"m confused with one to go. For me, it narrows down to $400 difference between Kx and K7 with same lens combinations. Among all features, compactness and weather sealing are the ones high in my list.

Is anyone else with same dilemma or any suggestions to me? I'm a novice user, is $400 worthwhile tradeoff for a weather sealing?

Thanks
you answered your question. If it's high on your list than.... K-x doesn't have it.

on the other hand:
DA40 is NOT WR! so the WR feature of you camera will be compromised anyway. Having said that, I have been using K10D + DA40 in rain and showers and fogs of London for over one year and never had any problem. I have used even K100D with it's kit lens in rain and it was OK. Other points to consider though:
- do you like the build of K10D? (K-7 feels even bit sturdier, K-x can't match it no matter what some say - I've held both K7 and Kx)
- do you use two e-dails? (Kx only has one, and sometimes it's much easier with 2, I remember when I came to K10D from K100D.. that one extra dial and controls on the body make a lot of difference!)
- do you mind digging in the menus to set/change some feature?
- do you use other than center AF point and if so, do you like select which one to use? (Kx doesn't have overlay, so you kind of don't know which sensor is the one in use)

These are the questions that come to my mind right after the WR. And I think they all matter a lot (maybe more than WR)

BR
Peter

PS: Having said all of this, I'm sticking with K10D for now. My wife has GX20 which is using the same CMOS as K20 and K-7 and whatever I do, I don't like the colours it gives as much as those produced by the CCD of K10!!!
12-10-2009, 04:26 PM   #3
vin

Original Poster
Thanks for the response. I'm a long time reader but first time post to this forum...encouraging to see kind responses

I know DA40 is not a WR, but I'd like to use it indoor for street photography, WR is not a requirement then. However, I do lots of hiking in Yosemite in summer, it would be nice have WR body if I soak in those waterfall/mist. I'd use WR lens for sure when I'm in Yosemite

About your question about using two e-dials, digging through menu's, center AF etc - honestly I don't understand most of it. So answer would be no I would want to learn them all some day!

I liked the build of K10D - very much. Thats the one reason I'm leaning towards K7. Still, playing devil's advocate before I jump the gun
12-10-2009, 04:37 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I would have thought if you are a novice user, unless there is a need for higher ISO performance than the K10D, there was no point in upgrading. Just add the new lenses, which will work fine on the K10D.

I bought a K7 when the shutter failed on my K10D, as opposed to the K20D for a lower price because I wanted superior metering (k20 and K10 have all the same issues in metering especially with manual lenses), but decided the repair price justified keeping the K10D as a second body (presently with split image screen for MF lenses.)

I really like the K7 performance, Not sure since I have not looked at K-X for High ISO but it was not available at the time anyway, BUT I also like the performance of the K10. and if you only plan to shoot new AF lenses the issues with metering and manual lenses wont bug you too much.

Sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear

12-10-2009, 04:55 PM   #5
edl
Veteran Member

Thanks
If you are fine with the K-x's capabilities I would take the $400 savings and put it towards an UWA lens (Sigma 10-20).

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I would have thought if you are a novice user, unless there is a need for higher ISO performance than the K10D, there was no point in upgrading. Just add the new lenses, which will work fine on the K10D.
That was my first thought too.
12-10-2009, 07:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I replaced my k10 with a k-7 and in spite of all the posts comparing the kx to the k-7, I wouldn't change a thing. I'm impressed with the IQ of the k-7 and I'm also impressed with just how much abuse it can take in wet weather.

If high ISO is a priority for you, the k-x may be of more value, but if you're shooting at lower ISO's and want a sealed body, the k-7 is the ticket and the $400 extra for it is money well spent.
12-10-2009, 08:09 PM   #7
vin

Original Poster
Live view support and faster auto-focus in latest (K7, Kx) DSLR were main reasons for selling my K10D. Also, there is a thing about getting the latest gadget....

Since my K10D is gone anyway, it is time to choose between K7/Kx. May be I'll flip a coin...
12-11-2009, 01:15 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Live view support and faster auto-focus in latest (K7, Kx) DSLR were main reasons for selling my K10D. Also, there is a thing about getting the latest gadget....

Since my K10D is gone anyway, it is time to choose between K7/Kx. May be I'll flip a coin...
If high ISO isnt veeerrryyy very important, then I'd say go with K-7 How can you go back to Pentamirror after using Pentaprism?

12-11-2009, 01:35 AM   #9

I wanted to upgrade my K10D to a Kx before because I had hard times doing low light events.
Put the gear on sale and then went out to shoot. To my surprise, I felt the camera is enough for my needs again. check my blog about it..

Jay Jay Cenon Tarun
12-11-2009, 02:49 PM   #10
vin

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
How can you go back to Pentamirror after using Pentaprism?
Sorry being novice... what is the difference
12-11-2009, 03:19 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Sorry being novice... what is the difference
Pentaprism is generally bigger and generally brighter (easier on the eyes). I can manual focus decently on prism even without a split screen. On mirror I have to have the split screen.

The difference isnt as huge as going to a fullframe viewfinder of course... but it's very noticable.