Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2010, 12:25 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Find the K-x spot

Thanks dude2009 for your reply. Here is my question.

If you were shooting the scene I described with your K-x, and your focusing beep sounded, how would you know whether your were focused on Granny, or Grandpa, or Aunt, or the flowers, or some kid who just popped into the background wearing contrasty clothes?

01-03-2010, 12:53 AM   #17
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by RedsPix Quote
Thanks dude2009 for your reply. Here is my question.

If you were shooting the scene I described with your K-x, and your focusing beep sounded, how would you know whether your were focused on Granny, or Grandpa, or Aunt, or the flowers, or some kid who just popped into the background wearing contrasty clothes?
I don't use Auto 5 point or 11 point, I use manual AF point selection, assign the green button to reset the point to center and use OK button to select it on the LCD. I actually don't know how auto mode works and based on what kind of principle it choose the point to focus on, therefore I don't use it, I probably need to spend a little bit more time to see if this is explained in the manual.
01-04-2010, 08:10 AM   #18

coming from a Canon, it takes time to adjust. Even my film EOS has got 3 focus points that light up. I tried a bunch of entry level Nikons (d40, d60) they have red focus dots. I used my friend's Sony Alpha 1000 its got red focus dots.

Focus dots can come very handy when shooting macro shots. Sure you can use center focus, but that doesnt help if you want to compose your photograph with the subject NOT in the center. Remember, at 200mm F4 MACRO the slight movement of of your lens can cause your subject to get lost in focus, so focusing on center then moving the lens a bit to compose is not very effective.

Of course you can use your eyes to carefully manual focus using the tiny APS-C viewfinder. But it's not very convenient yes?

I have a K-x and it's got 11 focus points, which I think is kinda under-utilised because of the lack of those little red dots. I mean it's OK if it's something really special. But every entry level dSLR's from other manufacturer's got those red dots.

IMHO add red focus dots and mirror lockup on the Pentax K-x, it would be PERFECT. But I still love my K-x
01-04-2010, 08:13 AM   #19

also to add, there is this "catch focus" feature thing which is VERY nice. Wouldn't it be nicer if we can use it with red focus dots from the 11 focus points?

01-05-2010, 07:02 PM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by piesforyou Quote
In the UK, almost everyone drives manual - and yes, automatic is poo-poo'd
Hear Hear! Even here in the colonies, real men drive "standard" i.e. stick.

A conspicuous advantage is that my wife, kids, or friends never want to borrow my car!

Likewise my K-x...wait...I'm not so sure about that...
06-01-2010, 01:28 PM   #21

I tend to agree, after all the whole point of getting a DSLR is control, and those red viewfinder dots combined with a way to change the focus point on the fly (with the cursors) with visual feedback would be a superbly efficient way to achieve that.
10-31-2010, 05:11 AM   #22
k54
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Those red focus indicators annoy me in my former Nikon D-80 and I never used them.

I like my K-x without those red indicators. It is like I'm back on the feel of my K-1000 film SLR.
11-01-2010, 02:17 PM   #23

K-x has mirror lock up

QuoteOriginally posted by buliwyf Quote
IMHO add red focus dots and mirror lockup on the Pentax K-x, it would be PERFECT. But I still love my K-x
K-x has mirror lock up - pg 133 of manual

Cheers.

12-10-2010, 02:34 PM   #24

About the problem with focusing grandma and grandpa...

I'm not so familar with manual modes but I'm learning currently... Please correct me if I'm wrong... If you want to sharpen both persons being behind each other, you anyway need corresponding setting for depth of focus - isn't it? In this case is not so important if the focus is on grandma or grandpa (under condition that you are not setting up depth of focus such small that the direction is near to far vs. far to near is important)?
Indeed this becomes invalid in case of more macro setups...

I don't miss the red indication in principle - previously there was only a small (center) or a large (5-Point) rectangle getting green in case of focused on by bridge cam. Nevertheless the center on old bridge cam was much more forgiving... The center focus of K-x seems much smaller than with my old cam. So some shots are lost currently - but learning by doing... In some compact cams the 5 or 11-point stuff with LEDs or borders is annoying - I always need 3-4 tries until the focued points match the scene - so I think its better to focus on center - although it needs getting used to - because of learnign to play with depth of focus.

bye
12-10-2010, 07:25 PM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by lawsonstone Quote
Hear Hear! Even here in the colonies, real men drive "standard" i.e. stick.

A conspicuous advantage is that my wife, kids, or friends never want to borrow my car!

Likewise my K-x...wait...I'm not so sure about that...
Real women can drive a stick also (love my 5-speed).

As far as the focus points, no dog in this race. Never had a camera with indicators don't miss them and would probably find them distracting. I stay in center mode and focus and re-compose. Guess I'm old school in a lot of ways