Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2009, 12:33 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Would you buy ist DS?

I'm looking at diving into the DSLR relm from film. I'm money strapped right and looking into either Pentax or Nikon. I'm leaning towards Pentax because I really like the feel and ergonomics of the cameras.

I've seen ist DS cams on KEH for roughly $250.00. Is this a worth while purchase or should I save some more pennies and look at something newer?

Would you buy older and used ist DS?

Thanks in advance

12-11-2009, 01:00 PM   #2
Site Supporter

The istDS is nice, but not at $250. That seems overpriced, as KEH sometimes is.

You should be able to find a newer model K100D or K100D Super for under $250 at the Marketplace or eBay, which has a larger LCD and image stabilization.
12-11-2009, 01:12 PM   #3

i have an ist ds. i would pay $250+ for it today provided it had been lightly used, came with both original kit lenses in good condition and i did not intend to print larger than, say, 8x10. the quality and coverage of the ist ds viewfinder is also very much a consideration re its value imho.
12-11-2009, 03:28 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
IMHO, one of the main reasons to go with Penax is shake reduction. Even though I started with an *istDS and think it's a great camera, there's no way I'd jump into the DSLR world without SR at this point. That's like finally buying your first TV and then deciding to getting a black & white model. Might have made sense in 1970, but seems silly at this point.

12-11-2009, 05:41 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks

Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep on looking at the available models with SR.
12-11-2009, 07:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Checkout Best Buys Factory Outlet. They often have factory refurbs at decent prices. These are body only however. You'll need to also purchase a lens or 2.

Best Buy Factory Outlet