Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2009, 11:47 AM   #1

how to use manual lenses on my new k-x?

Hi, all...recent Canon-convert here bitten by the awesome k-x bug! My 40d was a nice piece, but live view was poor, no video, no in-body stabilization, oh, and the subject of my question, no manual lens use!

so, i have a couple NOS lenses on the way from ebay, a tokina 28mm f/2.8 and ricoh 50mm f/1.7 (bought as a bundle of new in the box old tokinas for various mounts, canon, minolta, etc.)

in the meantime, i have a old Sigma 39-80mm f/3.5 that was lying around (no idea, had it for years), the mount seemed to match up to the kit lens on the k-x (my untrained eye can't spot a k-mount) so i mounted it. fit nicely, but the shutter wouldn't trigger. the aperture was blank, it may have even flashed dashes.

so, how do i get these buggers to work?

thanks,
brian

12-12-2009, 12:18 PM   #2

scroll in menu all the way to the last screen (4) of the C menu and set use aperture ring to 2
12-12-2009, 12:21 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
See the sticky thread on this topic at the top of the Beginner's forum. BTW, Google for "ricoh pin stuck" before trying to mount that Ricoh lens!

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 12-13-2009 at 12:15 PM.
12-12-2009, 01:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Don't use the Ricoh lens! Avoid Ricoh lenses! They may get stucked on Pentax AF bodies and you may damage the camera.

Now, for other manual K-mount lenses - enter the custom menu and set it to accept the use of aperture ring.

Now, when the lens is ready to use - you have to dial in the focal length of it too for the SR system to work. The camera will ask you to it if the SR system is engaged.

Before taking a picture - press the AE-L button to stop down the lens to the selected aperture so the camera can measure the light and setting a shutter speed. This is pseudo-auto aperture priority.

The camera does not have the mechanical linkage to read the position of the aperture ring, so it has no idea what aperture you have set - that is why it has to measure the aperture. It does this when you press the AE-L.

When it has measured the aperture and set a time, you are ready to press the shutter all the way down.

Enjoy!

12-12-2009, 03:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I looked up "Ricoh pin stuck" and found this Page
which doesn't just warn about not using certain Ricoh lenses
but actually explains why,
and even suggests how to fix it......