Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2009, 08:15 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pakuchn Quote
I'm very surprised to hear that K7 is not a "king" in low light, I would think that Pentax would make their best model be the best of the best.

In regards to K7 and K-x, are those two model the same when it comes to picture quality? Similar to D90 and D5000? The K-x is much lower in price and with the price difference I can get a 2.8 lens, but I want to make sure I understand how K-x and K7 different from each other.

Thank you.

Peter
There are a lot of differences.
The K-x is an entry level camera, aimed at the occasional photographer.
The K-7 has many, many more features over the K-x, too many to list here, I'll put down my favorites:
- In body lens correction.
- Environmental sealing.
- Advanced shooting modes, including Tav and Sv modes.
- Wireless flash.
- Battery grip.
- Auto level function.
- Better viewfinder.
- Per lens AF correction mode.
- DOF preview: analogue & digital.
- Multiple image photo.
- Interval shooting.
- Complete user adaptable.

Yes, the K-x is uses a somewhat newer sensor, with less noise and therefore gives better low light results. The real question is: what do you want from a camera, and what for will you use it?

Low light is better with the K-x, that does not mean that the K-7 low light results are bad though.

Have a look at 2 low light examples (ISO 2000 & ISO 3200) and decide if such quality is acceptable for you:

K-7, ISO 2000, DA*60-250mm, f4.0, 1/125s, 250mm

K-7, ISO 3200, DA* 60-250mm, f4.0, 1/400s, 250mm

Last edited by bymy141; 12-13-2009 at 08:23 AM.
12-13-2009, 08:22 AM   #17

Original Poster
That is an amazing picture.
When you asked what I mean by low light and how will it be used.
Well, basically I would like to use the camera indoors when kids are playing, movement, or when going to a wedding and taking pictures of family and friends.

I was thinking of getting this lens, to help with the low light.
Pentax | Normal SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4 Autofocus Lens | 20817 | B&H
12-13-2009, 08:27 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, basically I would like to use the camera indoors when kids are playing, movement, or when going to a wedding and taking pictures of family and friends.| 20817 | B&H[/url]
Given your repeated request for best high ISO performance, get the K-x. The K-7 is rich in features that don't appear to address your primary need.

The FA 50mm would be my first choice for what you want to do. Some people prefer the FA 35mm f2.0 for shooting in a house, but I find it gives me too much of the surroundings. I feel like I'm sticking the camera in their faces to get a nice closeup. I have both lenses. If the grandkids are coming over, it's the 50mm I reach for.

Last edited by audiobomber; 12-13-2009 at 08:44 AM.
12-13-2009, 08:46 AM   #19
Veteran Member

That is an amazing picture.
When you asked what I mean by low light and how will it be used.
Well, basically I would like to use the camera indoors when kids are playing, movement, or when going to a wedding and taking pictures of family and friends.

I was thinking of getting this lens, to help with the low light.
Pentax | Normal SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4 Autofocus Lens | 20817 | B&H
I have the FA 50 f1.4 myself.
It is a good portrait lens as well, however you should be aware of the fact that using f1.4 with any given lens will generate a very shallow depth of field. What means that there will be only so much in focus in your pictures. Of course sometimes that is exactly what you want, but not typically.

12-13-2009, 09:24 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I'm very surprised to hear that K7 is not a "king" in low light, I would think that Pentax would make their best model be the best of the best.
It is in all other respects. But the K-x edges it out in high ISO, at least in part by not offering a true ISO 100, which is probably more important for a "pro" camera.

Anyhow, we're talking pretty small differences that might matter to people who plan to make poster-sized prints, but for most purposes, picture quality is similar enough between *all* DSLR's that it just doesn't matter for 99% of purposes.
12-13-2009, 09:42 AM   #21
Veteran Member

In regards to K7 and K-x, are those two model the same when it comes to picture quality? Similar to D90 and D5000? The K-x is much lower in price and with the price difference I can get a 2.8 lens, but I want to make sure I understand how K-x and K7 different from each other.

Thank you.

Peter
No camera is the best of the best, there will always be strong points and weak points in every camera when compared to their competitors.

No the K-7 and K-x are not the same in IQ because they use two completely different sensors. The D90 and D5000 are the same in IQ because they use the exact same sensor. No two cameras with different sensors are ever alike.

The K-7 is better in low ISO's and is more suitable for 100 ISO work, such as with other professional work such as fashion photography due to it's natural ISO 100 unlike the K-x's synthetic version that needs to be expanded. But the K-x greatly excels in high ISO over the K-7.

Yes, ANYTHING the K-7 can equip, the K-x can equip equally the same; but without any AF adjustment you will not be able to adjust any FF or BF issues so you will need to rely on a dead good copy if you are to expect a dead good focus.

Last edited by LeDave; 12-13-2009 at 05:54 PM.
12-13-2009, 09:50 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Are you using a flashlight to illuminate the cats?

LED, or ???

QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
There are a lot of differences.
The K-x is an entry level camera, aimed at the occasional photographer.
The K-7 has many, many more features over the K-x, too many to list here, I'll put down my favorites:
- In body lens correction.
- Environmental sealing.
- Advanced shooting modes, including Tav and Sv modes.
- Wireless flash.
- Battery grip.
- Auto level function.
- Better viewfinder.
- Per lens AF correction mode.
- DOF preview: analogue & digital.
- Multiple image photo.
- Interval shooting.
- Complete user adaptable.

Yes, the K-x is uses a somewhat newer sensor, with less noise and therefore gives better low light results. The real question is: what do you want from a camera, and what for will you use it?

Low light is better with the K-x, that does not mean that the K-7 low light results are bad though.

Have a look at 2 low light examples (ISO 2000 & ISO 3200) and decide if such quality is acceptable for you:

K-7, ISO 2000, DA*60-250mm, f4.0, 1/125s, 250mm

K-7, ISO 3200, DA* 60-250mm, f4.0, 1/400s, 250mm

12-13-2009, 10:29 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote

LED, or ???
It was a hand held flash light.
50 Watt halogene, connected to a car lighter plug, in a safari vehicle.

- Bert
12-13-2009, 11:56 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Kx + fa 31mm f1.8 is a solution for indoor low light that will be capable of producing the best of the best in terms of photographic quality.

or the Fa 50mm f1.4 is a good choice too.

Last edited by WerTicus; 12-13-2009 at 12:03 PM.
12-13-2009, 12:04 PM   #25
Forum Member

Take a look at following link to discussion this forum regarding shooting results with high ISO. I was very impressed (and encouraged) with the results.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/64295-pentax-high-...post-here.html
12-13-2009, 01:09 PM   #26

Pentax K-X: $549
Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8: $399

Under $1k for a beautiful low light setup. Add a 55-200mm lens for $150 and you're good for years to come!
12-13-2009, 03:04 PM   #27

Original Poster
It is safe say that K7 and K-x will auto focus all lenses, even the lenses that dont have the auto focus motor?

Looking at the price, K-x is much less expensive then K7, almost 40% difference. Amazing. I'm assuming that you all use AF360 flash?

Again - Thank you all for all your replies.
12-13-2009, 05:46 PM   #28
Veteran Member

If it's an AF lens, both the K-7 and K-x will focus it. Pentax doesn't produce cameras with no focus motor.
12-13-2009, 07:38 PM   #29

Original Poster
So I been reading while watching Bears game and some people are saying that K-x is better in low light when compared to K7. Is that true?
12-13-2009, 07:41 PM   #30
Veteran Member

So I been reading while watching Bears game and some people are saying that K-x is better in low light when compared to K7. Is that true?
The Pentax K-x that has a sensor that is significantly better than the K-7 in high ISO, therefore it is better in high iso but not specifically better in low light. Most people tend to increase iso in low-light thus it's "better" in low light.

Yet despite it's weakness in high iso, it has an AF assist lamp which the K-x lacks, allowing the K-7 to autofocus much easier within a close to mid-range distance. But in the end it may be a problem if you don't use flash because without turning up your ISO in low light, the shutter speed may not be fast enough for non-blurred photos.

Overall the K-x is yes indeed a better performer of low-light, and especially due to it's big advantage in high ISO over the K-7.

Last edited by LeDave; 12-13-2009 at 07:52 PM.