Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2009, 08:15 AM   #16
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,563
QuoteOriginally posted by pakuchn Quote
I'm very surprised to hear that K7 is not a "king" in low light, I would think that Pentax would make their best model be the best of the best.

In regards to K7 and K-x, are those two model the same when it comes to picture quality? Similar to D90 and D5000? The K-x is much lower in price and with the price difference I can get a 2.8 lens, but I want to make sure I understand how K-x and K7 different from each other.

Thank you.

Peter
There are a lot of differences.
The K-x is an entry level camera, aimed at the occasional photographer.
The K-7 has many, many more features over the K-x, too many to list here, I'll put down my favorites:
- In body lens correction.
- Environmental sealing.
- Advanced shooting modes, including Tav and Sv modes.
- Wireless flash.
- Battery grip.
- Auto level function.
- Better viewfinder.
- Per lens AF correction mode.
- DOF preview: analogue & digital.
- Multiple image photo.
- Interval shooting.
- Complete user adaptable.

Yes, the K-x is uses a somewhat newer sensor, with less noise and therefore gives better low light results. The real question is: what do you want from a camera, and what for will you use it?

Low light is better with the K-x, that does not mean that the K-7 low light results are bad though.

Have a look at 2 low light examples (ISO 2000 & ISO 3200) and decide if such quality is acceptable for you:


K-7, ISO 2000, DA*60-250mm, f4.0, 1/125s, 250mm


K-7, ISO 3200, DA* 60-250mm, f4.0, 1/400s, 250mm


Last edited by bymy141; 12-13-2009 at 08:23 AM.
12-13-2009, 08:22 AM   #17
Senior Member
pakuchn's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 166
Original Poster
That is an amazing picture.
When you asked what I mean by low light and how will it be used.
Well, basically I would like to use the camera indoors when kids are playing, movement, or when going to a wedding and taking pictures of family and friends.

I was thinking of getting this lens, to help with the low light.
Pentax | Normal SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4 Autofocus Lens | 20817 | B&H
12-13-2009, 08:27 AM   #18
Pentaxian
audiobomber's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Photos: Albums
Posts: 6,631
QuoteOriginally posted by pakuchn Quote
Well, basically I would like to use the camera indoors when kids are playing, movement, or when going to a wedding and taking pictures of family and friends.| 20817 | B&H[/url]
Given your repeated request for best high ISO performance, get the K-x. The K-7 is rich in features that don't appear to address your primary need.

The FA 50mm would be my first choice for what you want to do. Some people prefer the FA 35mm f2.0 for shooting in a house, but I find it gives me too much of the surroundings. I feel like I'm sticking the camera in their faces to get a nice closeup. I have both lenses. If the grandkids are coming over, it's the 50mm I reach for.

Last edited by audiobomber; 12-13-2009 at 08:44 AM.
12-13-2009, 08:46 AM   #19
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,563
QuoteOriginally posted by pakuchn Quote
That is an amazing picture.
When you asked what I mean by low light and how will it be used.
Well, basically I would like to use the camera indoors when kids are playing, movement, or when going to a wedding and taking pictures of family and friends.

I was thinking of getting this lens, to help with the low light.
Pentax | Normal SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4 Autofocus Lens | 20817 | B&H
I have the FA 50 f1.4 myself.
It is a good portrait lens as well, however you should be aware of the fact that using f1.4 with any given lens will generate a very shallow depth of field. What means that there will be only so much in focus in your pictures. Of course sometimes that is exactly what you want, but not typically.

12-13-2009, 09:24 AM   #20
Pentaxian
Marc Sabatella's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 10,686
QuoteOriginally posted by pakuchn Quote
I'm very surprised to hear that K7 is not a "king" in low light, I would think that Pentax would make their best model be the best of the best.
It is in all other respects. But the K-x edges it out in high ISO, at least in part by not offering a true ISO 100, which is probably more important for a "pro" camera.

Anyhow, we're talking pretty small differences that might matter to people who plan to make poster-sized prints, but for most purposes, picture quality is similar enough between *all* DSLR's that it just doesn't matter for 99% of purposes.
12-13-2009, 09:42 AM   #21
Pentaxian
LeDave's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Minneapolis - St. Paul
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,895
QuoteOriginally posted by pakuchn Quote
I'm very surprised to hear that K7 is not a "king" in low light, I would think that Pentax would make their best model be the best of the best.

In regards to K7 and K-x, are those two model the same when it comes to picture quality? Similar to D90 and D5000? The K-x is much lower in price and with the price difference I can get a 2.8 lens, but I want to make sure I understand how K-x and K7 different from each other.

Thank you.

Peter
No camera is the best of the best, there will always be strong points and weak points in every camera when compared to their competitors.

No the K-7 and K-x are not the same in IQ because they use two completely different sensors. The D90 and D5000 are the same in IQ because they use the exact same sensor. No two cameras with different sensors are ever alike.

The K-7 is better in low ISO's and is more suitable for 100 ISO work, such as with other professional work such as fashion photography due to it's natural ISO 100 unlike the K-x's synthetic version that needs to be expanded. But the K-x greatly excels in high ISO over the K-7.

Yes, ANYTHING the K-7 can equip, the K-x can equip equally the same; but without any AF adjustment you will not be able to adjust any FF or BF issues so you will need to rely on a dead good copy if you are to expect a dead good focus.

Last edited by LeDave; 12-13-2009 at 05:54 PM.
12-13-2009, 09:50 AM   #22
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Colorado USA
Posts: 1,337
Are you using a flashlight to illuminate the cats?

Are you using a flashlight to illuminate the cats?

LED, or ???


QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
There are a lot of differences.
The K-x is an entry level camera, aimed at the occasional photographer.
The K-7 has many, many more features over the K-x, too many to list here, I'll put down my favorites:
- In body lens correction.
- Environmental sealing.
- Advanced shooting modes, including Tav and Sv modes.
- Wireless flash.
- Battery grip.
- Auto level function.
- Better viewfinder.
- Per lens AF correction mode.
- DOF preview: analogue & digital.
- Multiple image photo.
- Interval shooting.
- Complete user adaptable.

Yes, the K-x is uses a somewhat newer sensor, with less noise and therefore gives better low light results. The real question is: what do you want from a camera, and what for will you use it?

Low light is better with the K-x, that does not mean that the K-7 low light results are bad though.

Have a look at 2 low light examples (ISO 2000 & ISO 3200) and decide if such quality is acceptable for you:


K-7, ISO 2000, DA*60-250mm, f4.0, 1/125s, 250mm


K-7, ISO 3200, DA* 60-250mm, f4.0, 1/400s, 250mm
12-13-2009, 10:29 AM   #23
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,563
QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
Are you using a flashlight to illuminate the cats?

LED, or ???
It was a hand held flash light.
50 Watt halogene, connected to a car lighter plug, in a safari vehicle.

- Bert

12-13-2009, 11:56 AM   #24
Pentaxian




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Perth Australia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,511
Kx + fa 31mm f1.8 is a solution for indoor low light that will be capable of producing the best of the best in terms of photographic quality.

or the Fa 50mm f1.4 is a good choice too.

Last edited by WerTicus; 12-13-2009 at 12:03 PM.
12-13-2009, 12:04 PM   #25
Forum Member




Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sorrento, British Columbia
Posts: 65
Take a look at following link to discussion this forum regarding shooting results with high ISO. I was very impressed (and encouraged) with the results.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/64295-pentax-high-...post-here.html
12-13-2009, 01:09 PM   #26
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: United States
Posts: 112
Pentax K-X: $549
Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8: $399

Under $1k for a beautiful low light setup. Add a 55-200mm lens for $150 and you're good for years to come!
12-13-2009, 03:04 PM   #27
Senior Member
pakuchn's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 166
Original Poster
It is safe say that K7 and K-x will auto focus all lenses, even the lenses that dont have the auto focus motor?

Looking at the price, K-x is much less expensive then K7, almost 40% difference. Amazing. I'm assuming that you all use AF360 flash?

Again - Thank you all for all your replies.
12-13-2009, 05:46 PM   #28
Pentaxian
Marc Sabatella's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 10,686
If it's an AF lens, both the K-7 and K-x will focus it. Pentax doesn't produce cameras with no focus motor.
12-13-2009, 07:38 PM   #29
Senior Member
pakuchn's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 166
Original Poster
So I been reading while watching Bears game and some people are saying that K-x is better in low light when compared to K7. Is that true?
12-13-2009, 07:41 PM   #30
Pentaxian
LeDave's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Minneapolis - St. Paul
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,895
QuoteOriginally posted by pakuchn Quote
So I been reading while watching Bears game and some people are saying that K-x is better in low light when compared to K7. Is that true?
The Pentax K-x that has a sensor that is significantly better than the K-7 in high ISO, therefore it is better in high iso but not specifically better in low light. Most people tend to increase iso in low-light thus it's "better" in low light.

Yet despite it's weakness in high iso, it has an AF assist lamp which the K-x lacks, allowing the K-7 to autofocus much easier within a close to mid-range distance. But in the end it may be a problem if you don't use flash because without turning up your ISO in low light, the shutter speed may not be fast enough for non-blurred photos.

Overall the K-x is yes indeed a better performer of low-light, and especially due to it's big advantage in high ISO over the K-7.

Last edited by LeDave; 12-13-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, d90, dslr, nikon, pentax, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do I need Pentax K-x, if I have Nikon D90? Jaleel Pentax DSLR Discussion 31 12-26-2009 07:04 AM
Nikon D90 and neverending story Reps Photographic Technique 2 10-13-2008 01:16 PM
Tempted by Nikon D90 hinman Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 29 10-06-2008 06:11 PM
new nikon D90 ?? HD movie mode txsbluesguy Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 12 08-28-2008 12:38 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:41 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top