Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2009, 02:38 AM   #76

QuoteOriginally posted by pakuchn Quote
LeDave,

The primary use of the camera is for:
Taking pictures of people/kids indoors with low lights.
Taking camera on motorcycle trips around U.S and Canada.
Hiking trips.
Trips to Europe.
This is all for fun and enjoyment. So basically, everything you all do, but not for business. I have a budget of $1500.00 and I would like to get a camera, lenses and flash and hold on to it for years to come. I donít want to get a new body each year.
For motorcycle trips, hiking trips and trips to Europe I would take K-7. Weather sealing and the size is an important factor in this kind of trips.

I would take ISO 100 always over better high ISO performance. If we compare K-7 and K-x. K-7 has ISO 100 and the fastest shutter speed is 1/8000 while K-x has ISO 200 and the fastest shutter speed is 1/6000. This is 1 and 1/2 stop difference in aperture if you want to use wide apertures for thin DOF in high light situations. For me this is more important factor than few situations where very high ISO =>3200 is needed. With fast lens I think ISO 800-1600 is enough in usual indoor shots. Also low light shooting skills make a bigger difference than the difference in high ISOs between those cameras in my opinion.

12-15-2009, 08:58 AM   #77
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
Nope. I don't shoot test charts. My statements are purely anecdotal, and I have never claimed otherwise.
I don't think anyone would want to see test charts, but real world apples-to-apples comparison shots. I'm with Dan - the shots I've seen show less than a stop difference overall, nothing like two stops. However:

QuoteQuote:
The difference still holds true for exposures in crappy light with lots of shadows: the K20D shadows block up and get very noisy while the K-x can take an increase in brightness (even at 3200) while still producing a good image.
It is true in the images I've seen, and this is backed up by GordonBGood's test results, that the shadows on the K-x tend to outpace the competition by a larger margin than the lights. Since I'm rarely interested in the shadows, that tends to influence my perception of any comparison.

It's also true that I've never run the K-x RAW files through PP myself to see what kind of tradeoff I could get between noise and detail. I have no doubt it is the best Pentax camera out there in terms of high ISO performance; I'm just questioning the magnitude of the difference, since even with what I consider the overly aggressive default processing, I see at most a one stop improvement, and I have to assume that if I backed off the NR, thats not going to widen the gap.
12-15-2009, 09:38 AM   #78

Original Poster
What post processing software do you all use?
12-15-2009, 11:58 AM   #79
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You should take a look at the dozens of existing threads on PP software in the Post Processing and also the Beginner's forum.

12-15-2009, 09:43 PM   #80
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I don't think anyone would want to see test charts, but real world apples-to-apples comparison shots. I'm with Dan - the shots I've seen show less than a stop difference overall, nothing like two stops. However:

It is true in the images I've seen, and this is backed up by GordonBGood's test results, that the shadows on the K-x tend to outpace the competition by a larger margin than the lights. Since I'm rarely interested in the shadows, that tends to influence my perception of any comparison.

It's also true that I've never run the K-x RAW files through PP myself to see what kind of tradeoff I could get between noise and detail. I have no doubt it is the best Pentax camera out there in terms of high ISO performance; I'm just questioning the magnitude of the difference, since even with what I consider the overly aggressive default processing, I see at most a one stop improvement, and I have to assume that if I backed off the NR, thats not going to widen the gap.
Unfortunately, I've never owned the two at the same time. Most of the files that I've kept from my K20D over time (I'm working with 160gb storage space so a lot gets deleted) are images that would be difficult to duplicate anytime soon; photos I take around the house to test abilities and whatnot are the first to be purged.

It's quite possible that the quantifiable difference between the K20D/K-7 and the K-x really is less than a stop, but the ISO range that I find comfortable in use is more than a stop greater. That's really all there is to it.