Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2009, 08:17 PM   #1

Pantax k7 compared with Nikon D90

Good evening,

I'm new to this forum. I'm looking to get my first digital SLR, I have been using Pentax Film camera for years, but it's time to upgrade. I have looking at Nikon D90, but I wanted to make sure I dont omit Pentax.

Which Pentax model is compared to Nikon D90? I need to get a camera which I can use with low lights indoors, basicly an all around camera.

Also, how is the K-x?

Thanks everyone.

12-12-2009, 08:34 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pakuchn
I went through a similar decision a few weeks ago. I was undecided between the Nikon D90, the Pentax K-7 and the Pentax K-x.

I ultimately decided 2 weeks ago to select the K-7. Here are a few practical considerations that influenced my decision:

- Weight and size
The D90 is much heavier and larger than both K-7 and K-x. This is a major consideration when I do a lot of outdoor activities, often walking fast or even running with the camera in my hands. It is also an issue in relation to the camera bag: it has to be a larger one for the D90.

- Weather protection/resistance WR
The K-7 is the only one these 3 cameras with WR. A major attraction for outdoor photography.

- View finder
Both the D90 and K-7 have a very nice Viewfinder, and I was disappointed by the K-x Viewfinder.

- Price
The K-x has the least expansive. While the D90 is less expansive than the K-7 (body only), the D90 does not have image stabilisation: i.e, you need to buy a lens with optical stabilisation that is more expansive.

- Image quality
All 3 cameras have an excellent reputation for image quality, with possibly a + for the D90. But I looked at all reviews (DPR, Imaging-resource, dCResource, ...) and the test photographs, and I could not see a huge difference between any of these three cameras.

- Video
All three have videos. The K-7 has an advantage with an external microphone jack.

At the end, the weight of the camera, the weather resistance (for outdoor activities) and the viewfinder were the key parameters that lead to my decision to purchase a K-7 over the D90 and K-x.

All the best in your selection...
12-12-2009, 08:52 PM   #3

Original Poster
HCC

HCC,

First - Thank you for such a clean explanation and taking the time to write it.
My wife does not care what I get, Nikon D90, Pentax K7 or Pentax K-x, she just wants to make sure that she can take pictures indoors with low lights.

Is there a website that can explain which camera is better for low light?

Also, Nikon uses a program called Nikon capture NX, does Pentax have some similar to it?

Thank you for your time.

Peter
12-12-2009, 09:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pakuchn Quote
HCC,

First - Thank you for such a clean explanation and taking the time to write it.
My wife does not care what I get, Nikon D90, Pentax K7 or Pentax K-x, she just wants to make sure that she can take pictures indoors with low lights.

Is there a website that can explain which camera is better for low light?

Also, Nikon uses a program called Nikon capture NX, does Pentax have some similar to it?

Thank you for your time.

Peter
"My wife does not care what I get, Nikon D90, Pentax K7 or Pentax K-x, she just wants to make sure that she can take pictures indoors with low lights."

Under these conditions I would deffinetly have to say............KX.

12-12-2009, 09:16 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another vote for the K-x.
It's the best low-light performer with a decent AF.
Have a look through the plethora of threads already about the K-x and it'll be plain to see how well it stacks up... and you can use all of your old Pentax glass.
12-12-2009, 09:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Actually the D90 is unnoticeably larger than the K-7. If you compared them both side-by-side, you wouldn't be able to tell which one is bigger because they are similar in size as well as similar in weight. I compared my K-7 to the D90 at Best Buy and the difference is the D90 has cheaper build quality, I didn't expect the D90 to have the same build quality as the D5000 which was quite disappointing because both the K-7 and 50D have a very sturdy and rigid body.

For your first DSLR, you wouldn't go wrong with either the K-x or K-7. It depends whichever one suits more of your needs. The K-7 is more feature-packed but in the end you'll learn either way.
12-12-2009, 09:35 PM   #7
Veteran Member

"Also, Nikon uses a program called Nikon capture NX, does Pentax have some similar to it?"

Pentax Photo Laboratory (Silkypix)

12-12-2009, 09:53 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for all your replies.
Last question. Which lens is good for low lights use?
12-12-2009, 09:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The smaller the f-stop number is means larger aperture opening, allowing for faster shutterspeed and lower iso settings than one that's opposite. A constant f/2.8 for a zoom lens is good, and for primes it can get even lower and the 50 f/1.4 is really popular for that.
12-12-2009, 10:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I'd go for something like the Tamron 28-75 f2.8, for a zoom it really can't be beat for the price ( I just happen to have it and like it a lot!). If you want something faster there are several prime lenses that will fit your needs better.

Ray
12-12-2009, 10:07 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Simple: D90 better in low light. K-7 better in every other way.
12-12-2009, 10:13 PM   #12

Original Poster
Does Pentax make a Full Frame camera?
12-12-2009, 10:37 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Does Pentax make a Full Frame camera?
Not at this moment, they are going to release one in 2010 most likely. It's been given away that they released the revamped DFA 100 f/2.8 Macro but in WR and without an aperture ring. The term DFA is used for a lens that is optimized for digital and works for film, now what kind of DFA is it that doesn't work for film? Simple, the fact that this new DFA doesn't have an aperture ring yet it's a DFA means the terminology of DFA is quietly changed from digital but works for full frame rather than film. Hence we are given another clue that Pentax is going to release a full frame in 2010.
12-13-2009, 03:44 AM   #14
Pentaxian

D90 is the (APS) king in lowlight, challanged by Kx, but the winner in that fight is yet to be decided. The K7 has many strong points going, but lowlight is not one of them.
12-13-2009, 06:17 AM   #15

Original Poster
I'm very surprised to hear that K7 is not a "king" in low light, I would think that Pentax would make their best model be the best of the best.

In regards to K7 and K-x, are those two model the same when it comes to picture quality? Similar to D90 and D5000? The K-x is much lower in price and with the price difference I can get a 2.8 lens, but I want to make sure I understand how K-x and K7 different from each other.

Thank you.

Peter