Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2009, 10:14 PM   #1

Kx in-store anywhere around San Francisco?

I'm kind of decided on Kx, but like to see it in hand before I go for it. Is there any stores around San Francisco having Kx display models? I'm guessing Fry's would have it, but any stores in San Francisco may have it too?

Thx

12-12-2009, 11:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Fry's does have it, but I can't think of any place in SF that would. The only store I know of that sold new Pentax DSLR bodies was Calumet on Bryant. I'm not sure if they stock any current Pentax equipment anymore, but it's worth a check. Don't bother with Keeble & Schuchat; they've completely eliminated their Pentax display.

- Jason
12-13-2009, 06:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I can't believe what I'm reading.

You mean to say that in a big US city like San Francisco there are no photo stores that stock new Pentax cameras? Unbelievable.

In Australia every country town that has a Camera House carries Pentax. In my region there are three country towns with less than 30,000 people in them. In any of them I can walk into a store and handle a K-7 or K-x, sometimes at multiple outlets, especially for the K-x (Camera House, OfficeWorks, JB HiFi etc).

Say what you may about our local distributor CR Kennedy, but they are doing their job. I think someone needs to put a rocket up the US Pentax distributor.
12-13-2009, 11:40 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
Just wondering, doesn't Best Buy have em?
Cameras & Camcorders : k-x - BestBuy

12-13-2009, 11:45 AM   #5

Fry's has them, and like Jason said, Calumet does sell them but doesn't stock them. They might have a k7, though.

-jeff
12-13-2009, 12:17 PM   #6
vin

Original Poster
Thanks all.... yes, it is a pity that most US cities don't have Pentax SLR in store. New York may be exception, they have JR, BH, Adorama etc..

I checked with BestBuy, they sell Kx online only.
12-13-2009, 01:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I can't believe what I'm reading.

You mean to say that in a big US city like San Francisco there are no photo stores that stock new Pentax cameras? Unbelievable.

In Australia every country town that has a Camera House carries Pentax. In my region there are three country towns with less than 30,000 people in them. In any of them I can walk into a store and handle a K-7 or K-x, sometimes at multiple outlets, especially for the K-x (Camera House, OfficeWorks, JB HiFi etc).

Say what you may about our local distributor CR Kennedy, but they are doing their job. I think someone needs to put a rocket up the US Pentax distributor.
well, I live near Los Angeles, and I'm not aware of anybody who carries Pentax except for Fry's, which is a big box kind of place.

Aparently Pentax USA is convinced that an online only business model is the way to go. If anybody from Pentax USA is reading this, I like to buy things I have physically seen with my own eyes. If you want to sell me any more cameras then you might want to put your product in a store within 30 miles of me. There are roughly 6 million people in the LA area. Is it really a smart idea to ignore that large of a population group?

12-13-2009, 02:06 PM   #8
Site Supporter

I bought my K110D, K10D, K20D, and K-7 all sight unseen.

And I bought them online.

And I'm satisfied.

My purpose is just to add another point of view that is different from some of the opinions expressed in this thread. My opinion does not help the thread owner solve their problem—vin wants to play with the camera before buying. Many people are probably like the original poster. For my needs, I have not needed to hold the camera before I bought.

Last edited by Aegon; 12-13-2009 at 02:18 PM.
12-13-2009, 10:09 PM   #9
Igilligan

QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
I bought my K110D, K10D, K20D, and K-7 all sight unseen.

And I bought them online.

And I'm satisfied.

My purpose is just to add another point of view that is different from some of the opinions expressed in this thread. My opinion does not help the thread owner solve their problem—vin wants to play with the camera before buying. Many people are probably like the original poster. For my needs, I have not needed to hold the camera before I bought.
To the OP, I work in SF and I have yet to see or hold one. But the San Francisco bay area is pretty small and the population is not all that artsy. So I can see why pentax has chosen to ignore this area.

But I am a bit like Aegon, The Kx is a Pentax so there is absolutely no need to feel it in your hands first... Of course the user interface is so natural. And the size is perfect for pretty much everyone.

But for me the best reason that the Pentax 'online' only business model is so darn good, is because I dont want to try out any $500 to $1300 dollar lenses on my camera body first, just to see how they feel, look and perform... I just love the mystery of it all... Thank you Pentax
12-14-2009, 01:20 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That is FREAKEN amazing.

Big business op if someone wants to open a camera shop in... any American city by the sounds of it

I can wander into any place pretty much in Australia and handle a Kx - something higher end might require a little more effort. But i can think of 4 shops within 20min drive that have it on hand.
12-16-2009, 10:26 AM   #11

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You might try Adolph Gasser on 2nd St in San Francisco. It's been a while since I was there but they did carry Pentax gear the last time I was in.

It is a similar situation here in Denver. There are now no retail outlets that actually carry Pentax dSLR gear or lenses. Mike's Camera can order things but they no longer carry them in inventory. This is ironic considering that Pentax's US HQ is in Golden.
12-16-2009, 10:44 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
That is FREAKEN amazing.

Big business op if someone wants to open a camera shop in... any American city by the sounds of it

I can wander into any place pretty much in Australia and handle a Kx - something higher end might require a little more effort. But i can think of 4 shops within 20min drive that have it on hand.
See, Americans are stupid. Everyone and their brother shoots Canikon, so that's what people want.

"Pentax? Never heard of it. Show me a Nikon plz!"
12-20-2009, 08:15 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Castleman Quote
You might try Adolph Gasser on 2nd St in San Francisco. It's been a while since I was there but they did carry Pentax gear the last time I was in.

It is a similar situation here in Denver. There are now no retail outlets that actually carry Pentax dSLR gear or lenses. Mike's Camera can order things but they no longer carry them in inventory. This is ironic considering that Pentax's US HQ is in Golden.
I must revise this as I was at Ultimate Electronics last night. They had one K-x kit and one K20D body. No other Pentax gear of any sort.
<sigh>
12-20-2009, 09:21 PM   #14

Try Wolf Camera on Market St. Last time I was there, they had a decent selection of Pentax gear.
12-21-2009, 02:14 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I too live in San Francisco and I dont think I have seen more than 2 Pentax out on the street and one was definitely in the hands of a European tourist. I think nobody sells em here because nobody knows they exist here. Nikanon have the thing locked down with that rebel and the d40. Might be a business that would be closing soon after opening that went after the Pentax market here in SF.

j

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
That is FREAKEN amazing.