Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2009, 11:41 AM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by daverowe Quote
is it safe to use the k10d in the rain with lenses not specifically weatherproofed?
I used many non-weatherproof lens (18-55, 18-55 II, F70-210, M and A 50 1.7, A 35-70 4, other AF and manual third-party) on light rain and nothing happened to my K10D yet. That`s not a guarantee that in the future something bad could happen when using such lens.

But I took some precautions:
- had dry towels or any absorbent cloths to often wipe the lens
- point the lens down or even put the camera (with the lens) under the raincoat when not shooting
- had an ordinary transparent plastic bag in case the rain got heavier or the wind blew harder

Also, extra precautions had to be taken when changing the lens: always point the camera downwards and protect with your body the lens you put on.

At the beginning, I used only Ms in the rain, as they have no electrical contacts, but I got confidence and upgraded to As, after that to AFs.

I must remember that the first AF used on rain was the kit 18-55mm, because I was ready to sacrifice it. In one occasion I saw clearly inside o small drop of water, but it evaporated after the lens stayed in warm dry room, without letting marks. It was the only time I saw water in a non-weatherproof lens used in rain.

As LeDave stated, it`s not safe to use such lens in rain, but you can appreciate if the pictures you`ll take worth the risks.

12-14-2009, 11:45 AM   #17
Pentaxian

I've shot with my K10 and a Sigma 17-70 in a light rain, no protection and no problems.

I bought the 18-55 WR so I will be less tempted next time. But Pentax talks about splash resistance on the WR gear but carefully, it seams, makes no reference to sand/dust.

On the other hand, I've used that camera and a number of lenses at somewhat dusty venues like small airports for air shows and flyins. No problem. I'm just very careful where/how I change lenses.

A complete set of fully-sealed lenses is beyond my means, alas. I would, though, pop for one if it were something like an 18-200. I use the wide end enough that 50-150 is not OK.
12-14-2009, 12:39 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Count me in the camp of using cheap lenses that are not in any real danger of getting ruined by water (eg, my M28/2.8), trying to hand-protect the lens mount when actually shooting, and keeping the camera under my coat or in a bag while not shooting. People have been shooting sealed cameras with unsealed lenses for a *lot* longer than they've been doing so with sealed lenses, since sealed lenses are relatively new. Sure, there is a rik - and there is a risk of being hit by a bus every time you cross the street. But take reaosnable care, and it's not that big a deal.
12-15-2009, 03:38 PM   #19
Veteran Member

O ring in place.

12-15-2009, 04:31 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Plastic bag with floor vinyl hood-

Lens is protected and camera still gets a bit wet, but doesn't matter.
12-16-2009, 10:08 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's relatively easy to keep to keep water away from the lens mount area as the camera will want to tilt down while carrying it with the neck strap. If it's really pouring I cover the camera as water flowing over the camera body could get in. I really wouldn't be shooting in the open in those conditions anyhow as water would be getting on the lens and ruining the shot. I use common sense. When the weather is bad, I keep the camera protected as much as I can. I often shoot from a kayak and while hiking or skiing and am sometimes miles away. I always have a dry bag handy. A simple accessory called an umbrella does a wonderful job also.
01-04-2010, 02:09 PM   #22

edited away