Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2009, 10:39 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
k10d with non weatherproof lenses in rain?

is it safe to use the k10d in the rain with lenses not specifically weatherproofed? like the sigma 18-55 3.5-5.6 DC and the fa smc p fa 50mm 1.4. thanks a bunch. david

12-12-2009, 10:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It it safe? No. But can you still do it? Yes but with a risk. If you want to use a lens out in the rain without spending too much cash on those pricey DA*'s, there is the DA 18-55 WR which is the same thing as the regular DA 18-55. except the term WR for weather-proof is weather-sealed and safe to use in the rain with your K10D.
12-12-2009, 10:59 PM   #3
Pentaxian

If you really want to be safe.

RainSleeve

I have a friend that uses them on his Canons all time. They seem to work well.
12-12-2009, 11:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kkoether Quote
If you really want to be safe.

RainSleeve

I have a friend that uses them on his Canons all time. They seem to work well.
Lol a pack of 20 is over a hundred dollars; the materials look like garbage bags, might as well make your own. =P

12-13-2009, 12:54 AM   #5

You can make your own

Walmart bags make wonderful camera sleeves. (Just think, using a walmart bag in that manner is technically recycling.) Just cut a hole in the bottom a little smaller that your lens shade mount. Place the camera in the bag lens first with the lens just sticking through the hole and snap on the lens shade. It will hold the bag on the lens. I have used many of the bags in this manner on my Nikon stuff. Before I went with Pentax I shot Nikon DSLR and it seemed that every Time I went to Alaska I got caught out in the rain. I could not see paying 5 or 6 bucks for a piece of plastic wrap with strings and came up with the Walmart bag. It worked everytime. Any plastic grocery bag will do. If you are not near any store that has them, just drive up and down the street and I sure you will find one blowing around.
12-13-2009, 06:55 AM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Lol a pack of 20 is over a hundred dollars; the materials look like garbage bags, might as well make your own. =P

Looks like something else to me

I've used my K-7 in decent rain with an FA50 and an FA31. I usually cover the lens with my left hand while shooting and hold it lens down when not.
12-13-2009, 09:18 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As I posted before, along with a picture taken in a downpour in China, I had no problems. Just carried a small towel to dab off the outside of the lens body, the hood kept the rain off the front. The group I was with were quite envious as they had to protect their Canikons when good shooting oppertunities were presented.

12-13-2009, 09:48 AM   #8
Dom

Self amalgamating rubber tape.

Stops the rain getting into the camera.
12-13-2009, 09:58 AM   #9
Veteran Member

DOM, I have a good question regarding that picture. Since you did cover up the mount, what about the other tiny gaps in the lens surround the focusing ring? Doesn't water get inside through that also? And when you zoom in and out, doesn't it expand out and then in, making it more susceptible for water to leak inside the lens?
12-13-2009, 10:22 AM   #10
Dom

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
DOM, I have a good question regarding that picture. Since you did cover up the mount, what about the other tiny gaps in the lens surround the focusing ring? Doesn't water get inside through that also? And when you zoom in and out, doesn't it expand out and then in, making it more susceptible for water to leak inside the lens?
Yes it is possible for moisture to get into the lens but I hate this lens so I don't care is it gets water in it. The gaps in the lens are fairly narrow and this lens has been out in the rain a few times and don't seem to mind.

After any of my lenses have been out in bad weather they go into a dry-box for a least a day to dry them out.
12-13-2009, 10:42 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AdrianN Quote
I've used my K-7 in decent rain with an FA50 and an FA31. I usually cover the lens with my left hand while shooting and hold it lens down when not.
Yep
12-13-2009, 03:14 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I think the biggest risk is damaging the lens, but the non WR lenses lack the seal around the lens mount so I suppose moisture could get into the camera through that.
12-13-2009, 03:49 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Self amalging tape is good, but maybe a little messy when you come to change lenses.

I use a 57mm inside diameter O ring, very lightly smeared with Vaseline, that fits tightly around the lens and rolls back against the camera body.
Does it work ? Well my K10's still working and it's had some olympic soakings in this years British summer. But that could be my good fortune?

The O ring is easy though, and will fit a few lenses.
12-14-2009, 09:49 AM   #14
Dom

QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
Self amalging tape is good, but maybe a little messy when you come to change lenses.

I use a 57mm inside diameter O ring, very lightly smeared with Vaseline, that fits tightly around the lens and rolls back against the camera body.
Does it work ? Well my K10's still working and it's had some olympic soakings in this years British summer. But that could be my good fortune?

The O ring is easy though, and will fit a few lenses.
That's a brilliant idea, I'm of to get some 'O' rings. As for the tape I use, I tend to not change lenses when it's raining and it's not that messy.
12-14-2009, 11:36 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like this thread because I have been wondering "what's the point having a weather-proof body if you don't have weather-proof lenses?"