Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2006, 04:04 AM   #1

*istD and Reverse Adapter K - problems.

My wife was given her brother's *istD and 16-45 zoom, and all has worked well so far. She's very happy with it, and I like it as well.

Buried somewhere for years was her non-working Spotmatic with a nice 55 mm lens. I am still using an Olympus C2100 2 mp zoom, but I do remember from film days the trick of using a reversing ring for macro shots, and although not overly familiar with the *istD, it appeared to me that if it would handle screw mount lenses, it would handle a reversing ring as well.

So far, it hasn't worked out.

Having gone through this forum, I finally found the *istD / screw mount FAQ post, and I think I may have found the problem - the firmware is still 1.0. But, as a computer professional who has burned firmware many times, I hate to do firmware updates unless completely unavoidable, so I'm posting this to get confirmation that the problem I'm seeing is known to be cured specifically by upgrading firmware.

Here's how it went...

I bought a Pentax 52 mm Reverse Adapter K from my local pro shop (Keeble and Suchat), which was all they had, and put in a 49 to 52 adapter to get it on the front of the 49 mm threaded lens, agreeing with the salesguy that focusing would handle the distance change caused by the extra adapter.

I set the *istD to M mode and bayoneted the 55 + reversing ring assembly into the mount without any visible mechanical problems. I racked the lens to infinity and moved the camera back and forth close to a suitable subject, and had no trouble getting it in apparent focus in the viewfinder.

However, the top LCD was blinking "Av - -" and the viewfinder was blinking "F - -", and the camera did nothing whatever when I pressed the button.

I spent an hour boning up, and concluded that I needed to turn "F stop other than A" from the default of "off" to "On". I did that, and the "Av - -" and "F - -" stopped blinking (but didn't go away), and the shutter speed appeared, but the camera would still not fire.

I switched to Av, power cycled for good luck, and found the displays unchanged. But I soon noticed that if I moved the camera, the shutter speed changed, as it should under aperture priority, even though there was apparently no aperture value selected.

Can anyone confirm that this behavior on a *istD is caused by firmware 1.0?

Thanks!

Abe

11-22-2006, 06:37 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't have the D, only the DS. Did you set camera to manual focus? Did you have camera on manual exposure? Both need to be on my DS to work. I also have to go into custom functions and set 2 things. The D has different functions. I seem to remember the D not working with old lenses before a certain firmware update. Hope someone can help you.
thanks
barondla
11-22-2006, 08:19 AM   #3
Inactive Account

We have the D. I didn't know anything about firmware changes. My husband knows more about the mechanics, but...

From what I have seen using the D, when the settings are flashing, it means that the settings are out of range. If you change something higher or lower, you might could get those fields under control. I have had problems with the TV flashing when in AV mode outside in bright sun. I am not sure exactly about the flashing blank lines versus flashing numbers. I would have to ask my husband who is at work right now.

We started out using the D with nothing but old lenses. The lenses we had when we first bought the ist-D (we did get the kit 18-35 lens) were the 50mm, 1.4 manual and the 80-300mm, 4.5 manual JCPenney lens. We have since added autofocus and/or digital lenses. I had problems with the not letting me take a picture for focus issues with the manual lens at my first birth. Didn't have digital lenses yet at that time (a year ago). Being too close too an object for the camera/lenses liking is another thing that keeps the D from letting you click the shutter.

I would be interested in finding out more about firmware upgrades and what they will accomplish for us.

Thanks for bringing this up,
Faith
11-22-2006, 08:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes initial firmware did not allow "screw mount". You need to upgrade. Further upgrade allowed larger CF cards... Actually never heard anyone flub a D upgrade. Not to say it couldn't happen. Just use fresh or fully charged batteries. It's been so long since I did this that I really don't remember all the details
Pentax Imaging - Software & Firmaware Updates
Can I use K and M lenses on my *ist D/*ist DS? - Themotec.com Off-Topic Forum
Pentax Users : HomePage

QuoteOriginally posted by oldabelincoln Quote
My wife was given her brother's *istD and 16-45 zoom, and all has worked well so far. She's very happy with it, and I like it as well.

Buried somewhere for years was her non-working Spotmatic with a nice 55 mm lens. I am still using an Olympus C2100 2 mp zoom, but I do remember from film days the trick of using a reversing ring for macro shots, and although not overly familiar with the *istD, it appeared to me that if it would handle screw mount lenses, it would handle a reversing ring as well.

So far, it hasn't worked out.

Having gone through this forum, I finally found the *istD / screw mount FAQ post, and I think I may have found the problem - the firmware is still 1.0. But, as a computer professional who has burned firmware many times, I hate to do firmware updates unless completely unavoidable, so I'm posting this to get confirmation that the problem I'm seeing is known to be cured specifically by upgrading firmware.

Here's how it went...

I bought a Pentax 52 mm Reverse Adapter K from my local pro shop (Keeble and Suchat), which was all they had, and put in a 49 to 52 adapter to get it on the front of the 49 mm threaded lens, agreeing with the salesguy that focusing would handle the distance change caused by the extra adapter.

I set the *istD to M mode and bayoneted the 55 + reversing ring assembly into the mount without any visible mechanical problems. I racked the lens to infinity and moved the camera back and forth close to a suitable subject, and had no trouble getting it in apparent focus in the viewfinder.

However, the top LCD was blinking "Av - -" and the viewfinder was blinking "F - -", and the camera did nothing whatever when I pressed the button.

I spent an hour boning up, and concluded that I needed to turn "F stop other than A" from the default of "off" to "On". I did that, and the "Av - -" and "F - -" stopped blinking (but didn't go away), and the shutter speed appeared, but the camera would still not fire.

I switched to Av, power cycled for good luck, and found the displays unchanged. But I soon noticed that if I moved the camera, the shutter speed changed, as it should under aperture priority, even though there was apparently no aperture value selected.

Can anyone confirm that this behavior on a *istD is caused by firmware 1.0?

Thanks!

Abe

Last edited by jeffkrol; 11-22-2006 at 09:20 PM.
11-22-2006, 09:11 PM   #5
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the "D". You'll have to upgrade the firmware, and ten set a custom function to allow for lenses without the "A" setting.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-faq/32-can-i-use-k-m-lenses-my-ist-d-ist-ds.html

Reversing the lens makes sense when mounted on a bellows unit or extension rings, that is when the lens is quite some distance from the camera. That should improve sharpness of macro photos. You don't gain much, if anything by mounting it in the reverse position directly on the camera.
11-22-2006, 11:50 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks, all, for your responses.

I'll do the firmware upgrade, now that it's clear that it's necessary.

Abe