Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2009, 09:56 AM   #1
Inactive Account

pentax K-x :disable custom image please

hello

how does one turn the custom image OFF on the pentax k-x ? I came from a nikon/canon background with picture-styles, so i'm somewhat acquainted with not having to use them- on the K-x, i have seen how to turn off the filters, but custom image seems to pick BRIGHT by default and i would like to know how to just not choose any of these picture styles

cheers

-k:

12-13-2009, 10:22 AM   #2

I have the same question. I have read the entire manual and did not run across an answer. Looks to me like there is no way to turn this off.
12-13-2009, 10:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Choose "Natural" which is, well, the most natural. All JPEG even canon/nikon has some remapping and whatnot, so Natural is probably equivalent to their off. Or shoot in RAW.
12-13-2009, 11:12 AM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Custom image only sets the jpeg adjustments. It allows you to adjust your jpeg output settings in one place. It sets saturation, hue, high/low key, contrast and sharpness in one screen.

The Kx stores seven different sets - bright, natural, BW, etc... You can switch between sets and customize each set.

It doesn't make sense to turn it off, since all cameras use some settings to generate their jpegs. Every camera has to use something, so the custom settings have no downside.

Just set the one you like and leave it. If you want all the settings set to 0, the Natural set is all zeros except sharpness -1. Just change sharpness to zero, set your custom to Natural and you are set.

12-13-2009, 04:51 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
'Custom Image' is where you tell the camera the default settings for how you want it to process any photos you take and store as JPEG's. 'Custom Image' should be renamed 'Default camera JPEG processing style', because that's really what it means.

Every camera, whether it be Nikon, Canon etc, gives you control over the settings for how JPG's are captured and processed by the camera. Pentax just calls it something different, and gives you a packaged set of options to choose from in setting your default JPEG processing style (Bright, Natural etc).

I also set mine to 'Natural' with all the settings to 0.

However be aware that if you use any of the 'Scene Modes' the camera will often make decisions for you about some of the 'Custom Image' settings - eg if you choose 'Landscape' the 'Custom Image' settings get altered to turn on more contrast and sharpness.