Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2009, 08:55 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Are you really doing PAID gigs with the kit lens and NO lighting beyond the pop-up flash? wow! If you can make that work, just think of what you could do with PROPER lighting...

I'd think the AF-assist lamp of the 360/540 would be a HUGE help in autofocusing. I'm almost always shooting with flash, and I've recently started using AI-Servo (~AF-C as I shoot Canon now) since my toddler moves too much for single-shot autofocus. Problem is the AF-Assist does NOT fire in AI-Servo so in certain lighting conditions I have to decide between using One-Shot W/ the assist beam or AI-Servo w/o the assist beam

Oh, and I'm also starting to use my flashes OFF camera (on light stands with umbrellas), so all I have on my hotshoe is a radio transmitter (I use the Cactus V4 system), and that has also tripped me up a few times with having problems autofocusing.

12-16-2009, 08:58 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Senseriffic Quote
Okay I have been doing several parties, weddings ect in dark rooms. Manual I have thought about buying the 540 Flash but money is not permitting and I can't trust that is a sure fix.

If you're shooting weddings, you really should have no problems buying a $400 flash. Do you have a backup body?
12-16-2009, 09:00 AM   #18
Veteran Member

This guy has a pretty neat idea -
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/camera-studio-accessories/64708-my-little...ny-camera.html

In all seriousness, if you are taking money from clients, you really owe it to them to have the proper gear. The pop-up flash is NOT proper gear if that is your only lighting.
12-20-2009, 07:57 PM   #19

Original Poster
I use an external flash, Id never shoot a wedding with just that! The pop up is so weak on the k100D. I'm honest, people know what they are getting when they hire me. I've even gotten several tips from clients, so I'm delivering what I promise and more.

I may start using off-camera flash, but in certain situations it doesn't work.

I will have to start practicing with being more careful in AF-S... I also think a new flash and new lens couldnt hurt! As soon as I get the cash thats what im buying...

12-20-2009, 08:09 PM   #20
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Senseriffic Quote
I'm honest, people know what they are getting when they hire me. I've even gotten several tips from clients, so I'm delivering what I promise and more.
Until the day that you don't deliver. Don't forget to let us know what hospital you end up in so that we can send some flowers.
12-21-2009, 06:05 AM   #21

Original Poster
Whoes to say that wouldn't happen if I didn't have professional equiptment and a back up? Things happen, can't always predict or prevent it.