Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2009, 07:04 PM   #1

K100D Super shutter delay

Sometimes, my K100D Super will not trip the shutter after focus lock. It's very annoying and I miss shots. Never happened before. Changed focus from spot to average, no help. Not sure if I accidentally set an option in the menu or if there is something wrong with the camera. Thought it might be related to weak batteries, but after a new set of AA Lithiums, I have the same problem. Any help would be appreciated!

12-14-2009, 08:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi Dad!

Once I had a problem with using fancy batteries with my K100DS. It would trip the shutter sporadically. I put regular old Duracells in and the problem was fixed.

My only other thought was that it might be the lens isn't achieving focus, and if you're shooting on AF Single it won't let you snap the shutter. But it seems you are getting a focus lock, so that shouldn't be it.

I'm sure other people will chime in soon and maybe provide some guidance on this.
12-14-2009, 10:59 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you're sure focus lock was achieved (the green hexagon lit up?), then the only thing that should prevent the shot from being taken is the buffer being full, which would happen if you had just taken taken several shots in quick succession within the last second or two.
12-14-2009, 12:31 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It only takes 3 shots for the K100D's buffer to fill, and you may not have needed to shoot the 3 in such quick succession to cause a 'shot block'. In this case, you've reached the limit of the K100D's ability to shoot continuously and dump the images onto the SD card.

12-14-2009, 01:50 PM   #5
Inactive Account

It's also possible that the shutter release switch is starting to go. Several people have had them go bad on the DS, K100D, and the K10D.
I had to replace mine on a DS with only 10,214 clicks on it.
12-14-2009, 05:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wildlifephotog Quote
It's also possible that the shutter release switch is starting to go. Several people have had them go bad on the DS, K100D, and the K10D.
I had to replace mine on a DS with only 10,214 clicks on it.
Hmmm..hope this doesn't happen to me.
If this would be the case, then it would be a great excuse to upgrade.
12-14-2009, 05:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forums by the way rlocurcio!
Try the DOF preview button.
If that trips the shutter always (since it doesn't write anything to the memory card), your problem might be a bad memory card.
Worth a try right? DOF preview button doesn't do anything anyway, except give a a quick preview of the shot.
12-19-2009, 09:51 AM   #8

Original Poster
Hi to all... thanx for the welcome and quick response... all good suggestions... have been trying to shoot birds in Florida and missing a LOT of shots!
1) tried the DOF preview & works fine, so I'm hoping the shutter is OK.
2) switched cards from SandDisk UltraII 4mb to plain old 2mb and seems to be better so I suspect the card.
3)also switched from SF to CF and will see if that helps.
4)not sure about batteries... suspected low voltage in used batteries, but same problems with with new ones. I've been using lithiums (very long life) vs rechargeables and they were working fine until recently.. read that lithiums could be a problem (Dan above)... I think these batteries are OK but will try that too.
Will post back when I've tried all of the above... thanx!!!

12-19-2009, 09:52 AM   #9

Original Poster
Hi Dan... thanx for the reply!
12-22-2009, 02:54 PM   #10

Original Poster
I'm pretty sure it was the 4mb Sandisk Ultra II that was bad... switched to a regular 2mb generic card and all is well... shot about 300 pix at my grand daughter's ballet recital two days ago with no problems... made sure batteries were new lithiums... switched from continuous focus to single focus... no effect... only real problem was low light in the theater and no flash... shot at 800 ISO and had no problems with focus lock or shutter release... unfortunately the leaps and jumps were not sharp... needed a few more lumens for that... but when they were standing still shots were great! Thanx for your thoughts and help... RL