Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2009, 04:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

a new kx body or a used k20 with lenses?

Hi all
A newbie here! but i have spent some time perusing the forum and have totally confused myself!
I am in the market for a new/used camera and cant make a decision! I have been using a mz50 for yonks but need to move into the digital area So I have basic kit lenses ( sigma ) some older pentax lenses ( they were my dads ) and heaps of nice little filters, flashes and most of the other gear I need. I also have a small studio set up which will take a wireless flash kit.
but I cant decide which way to go!
I can pick up a kx body for around $700 au ( those red ones are snazzy!) or would I get more bang for my buck with a used/ebay k20/k10. I realise it wouldnt have warrenty!
The ebay jobs go for pretty big prices over here (Oz)............
I did use a Cannon something last night and it seemed very heavy and clunky in my smaller hands..........maybe just compared to the mz50 or maybe just a girl thing.
I will have to buy online sight unseen............I live way out in the scrub with nary a camera shop in site!
Hoping someone has some advice!
cheers
Jan

12-14-2009, 07:25 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Since you have some lenses already, go with the new K-x.

1. It's better in my opinion
2. Not knocking sellers on Ebay, but you will be getting your K-x from a known reputable seller (whoever your distrubitor is in Au).
3. You have a warranty for the peace of mind.

However, if you feel that you really need the weather resistance feature, then get the K20/K10 if the included lens is also weather resistance. It seems that you do not really need this feature since you have a small studio.

P.S. Invest in a decent charger and Eneloops (I love my Eneloops)
12-14-2009, 07:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you want to take photos of things moving in dimly lit places, get the K-x.

If you want to take photos in rain, sleet, snow, fog, etc..., get the K20d.
12-14-2009, 10:01 AM   #4
Veteran Member

id choose kx till the k8 comes... oh wait i already did

12-14-2009, 09:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Coming from a MZ-50 (a long time ago) i can tell you that you need to get rid of those sigma kit lenses. Get the cheapest digital body you can stand to use and buy your self a nice lense.

So in that case, I vote for used k20 + lens (good ones).

mike
12-14-2009, 09:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

depending on what your current lenses are.... get the (Pentax) kit lens.. you need the wide angle in the digi world
12-14-2009, 10:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your replies ppl!
I just want to tell you how I spent my lunch hour today. I decided to ring around the 'local' shops and see what prices I could find.............The cheapest on the kx was 799.........
but some of the fools answering the phone need education on cameras.

I rang my nearest ( better not say the name ) Hardley Normal shop ( a three hour drive away) and was told Pentax? They are a discontinued brand.........you cant get them any more! WT?

Another said they only come in black , there are no coloured ones in AU???
Another had never heard of the kx...no such thing........( dont they read the promo stuff?) They had a km and then asked ME if that was an slr........

Another told me I could NOT use my lenses on a kx and I had to buy a kit............any way my wide angle wouldnt go down to 15 anyway! HUh? WT?
anyway it was a pretty interesting lunch hour..........my workmates were laughing thier heads off as I got more and more steamed.
I wonder if Pentax AU reads here?

I actually have a nice wide angle and a few older ones of dads that I reckon with some fiddling could be made work as well as a couple of teleconverters and a decent macro..........and I think there are some decent filters of his as well.......I will have to look as they have been packed away.

I actually seem to photograph alot of horses......kids on ponies....... showjumping that sort of thing....as well as the odd wedding or deb ball ( freebies ).. rain sleet snow and fog are not an issue but we do get dust. Lots and lots of rolling red dust storms........ some rain ( read a lot of rain) would be perfect!
anyway thanks again for the help..........I am now leaning towards a k20........gotta love seals.........
cheers
Jan

12-16-2009, 01:38 PM   #8
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Jan.
Ted's offer the K-x in black, white and red. With matching kit lenses too.
Don't be surprised at all the "what's Pentax?" antics retailers pull off. Despite the K-x's success, it just hasn't gotten to storefronts (yet).

In many ways I'd still prefer the K20D to the K-x myself (talking about value for money) as I put more professional attributes and customisation above a one-stop high ISO performance advantage. But that's just me.
12-16-2009, 04:37 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I just faced the same dilema, the prices I could find found me with the K20d and the Kx competing for my money.

I ended up deciding on the K20d because I spend a lot of time in the National Parks, Forests, and out-of-doors in general. Yes, we're the family that visits the Zoo every month, rain, sleet, or snow.

For me the weather seal, sealed the deal. Yuk. Yuk.

That said, the incredible low-light performance I've seen from the Kx made it a very tough choice. I find myself shooting a lot of pictures in low-light situations.

Good luck with your decision. Either way, you'll have a great camera IMO.
12-17-2009, 11:29 PM   #10
Inactive Account

K10D is a nice one too.
12-18-2009, 09:50 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My K10D (and K20D is the same) is big and heavy, but I like it because I have a relitively large hand.

My K7 and *istD, are much smaller, and I think the K-x is smaller still.

both the K-x and K20 are capable cameras, but you need to consider what you want.

If the K-x is comfortable in your hand and you don't want all the features of the K20 then go for it.

If you want the K20 features then it is the better selection technically, but you have to like the feel of it. In this respect the K7 may be the best option but it is a lot of money
12-18-2009, 10:19 AM   #12
Forum Member

I have been having the same dilemma as some stores have been offering kx with kit lens for like 500$ or so.

I think we will see refurb'd k20d's getting blown out after christmas. here in the us best buy had them a few months ago for 499$

I am leaning toward k20d cuz I am on a k100d and I want a more "pro" camera.
12-18-2009, 06:57 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the help guys!
I actually ended up buying a new KM/K2000....with a pentax kit lense......not everyones choice i know but the price was right! and it has the smaller body which will be easier for me to handle.
I wont miss things like the DOF preview cause I havent had it before!
Are there any firmware things or anything I need to download? It wont arrive until Monday or Tuesday so I am researching stuff again. I couldnt get the manuel to download either
I was pleasantly surprised to see my little pentax flash will work with it but I will have to dig out the big flash and check its numbers and see if that will as well.
All my stuff is packed away! I cant even find my tripod!
and then hubby says I have to leave it wrapped under the Christmas tree till Christmas! As if!

Oooooh I am seriously excited!
cheers
Jan