Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2006, 01:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
SR and pixel level sharpness

When you take pictures with SR active are the results as sharp at pixel level as you would get from using a tripod? or is there a slight loss of acuity from the movement of the sensor?

11-22-2006, 02:08 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Yesterday I made some test shots at home from tripod. By accident I forgot to switch off shake reduction, so I repeat shot with SR OFF. Shots were taken at RAW on K100D with Carl Zeiss Flektogon 20mm.
I noticed no visible difference.
11-22-2006, 02:20 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Just forgot to insert images:
SR-off

SR-ON

Exposure: F8, 1/8sec, ISO200
11-22-2006, 03:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, that's encouraging I guess I should have been clearer with my question though. Does SR without tripod give as sharp results as no SR taken from a tripod.

11-22-2006, 09:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Think it's a matter of odds. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I don't think of SR as a substitute for a tripod, MLU and remote release.
11-24-2006, 04:08 AM   #6

Well, if SR delivers more often than not, I may not have to lug my tripod on all those trekking trips.

Or perhaps, it's still a good idea to carry the tripod - because I don't own some of the most sharpest lenses. Tripod & MLU might be the best bet.
11-24-2006, 04:46 AM   #7

I guess we should always be mindful that our shutter speeds are up there so we don't really need SR.
11-24-2006, 09:31 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathy Quote
Well, if SR delivers more often than not, I may not have to lug my tripod on all those trekking trips.

Or perhaps, it's still a good idea to carry the tripod - because I don't own some of the most sharpest lenses. Tripod & MLU might be the best bet.
My thoughts exactly. A heavy tripod is a royal pain in the butt on a multi day backpacking trip. The K100 is small, light and damn cool.

11-29-2006, 02:26 PM   #9

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The main thing about the tripod for me is that sometimes you need not 2-3 stops which SR can give you, you really want 4 or 5 stops so that you can have maximum depth of field. There's also things like HDR merging and stuff, but this is the main thing for me.
11-29-2006, 02:29 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Barkowski Quote
The main thing about the tripod for me is that sometimes you need not 2-3 stops which SR can give you, you really want 4 or 5 stops so that you can have maximum depth of field. There's also things like HDR merging and stuff, but this is the main thing for me.
Too true, but one of the things I like about SR is that I can use a higher fstop and still hand hold without a tripod. I'm hoping that SR combined with some of the steadying tricks I learned a long time ago can get me more stops without a tripod.