Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2009, 07:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax 2-yr extended warranty

I'm thinking about buying the 2 year extended warranty for my (in the mail) K-7 body. I think $20 for 2 addition years is not a bad price to pay.

Just have a question. The warranty says, "PENTAX will provide, at no charge, one complete check-up at any time during the warranty period."

Have any of you used this service, and how long does it take?

12-15-2009, 10:16 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
I'm thinking about buying the 2 year extended warranty for my (in the mail) K-7 body. I think $20 for 2 addition years is not a bad price to pay.

Just have a question. The warranty says, "PENTAX will provide, at no charge, one complete check-up at any time during the warranty period."

Have any of you used this service, and how long does it take?
1. Do not ... do not... do NOT... PAY for the extended warranty. I checked with Pentax USA. If one did not come with your camera, you can write in and they will GIVE you one. Why is the vendor selling them you say? I don't know. It is not strictly moral. Go to the Pentax site, support, and take the time to fill out the form and ask the question. It's free. All K-7's bought from launch and all K20's bought from the October 2008 time frame on qualify.

2. I have taken advantage of the cleaning service. Little known fact was that before the K10D warranty expired this service was available for the K10D as well. It took about three weeks to turn it around completely. Maybe a little less. Two weeks? Ask that question while you are at the Pentax site. Verdict: Excellent job done, removed all traces of nasty sensor dust. And as a bonus my K10D came back with updated Autofocus firmware... not the firmware YOU can update, the AF firmware which is done strictly at the factory. Not only is it quicker than it once was but impressionistically, it is more accurate.

Trust but verify I always say. Hope this helps.

woof!
12-15-2009, 10:42 AM   #3

Thanks woof!! You saved me $40! I just bought a K7 and the extended warranty (for an extra $40). Now I'll return the card.

I just went on the Pentax site and chatted with a rep. She said indeed the free extended warranty was still going on and that all you have to do is make a request and send a proof of purchase to pentaxinfo@pentax.com or fax to 919-501-7575, Attn. Dorian.

It is interesting how this is not currently being advertised. I would think they would sell a few more cameras if it were.

Dan
12-15-2009, 11:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks woof for the valuable info and thanks babajoof for confirming.

The marketing people at Pentax must be sleeping not to advertise this.

I agree that it's not honest for some of the stores for selling this free service. Not only that, some even have the guts to charge shipping!

Off topic, but since you are here, woof: I found the pre-set Vivitar 135mm F/3.5 (not F/2.8 as I originally thought) with T to screwmount adapter. Its aperture has only 12 blades.

Also found a 2X TC.

Last edited by SOldBear; 12-15-2009 at 12:16 PM.
12-15-2009, 12:08 PM   #5

Something else I found interesting about the extended warranty - I went to register the warranty card I bought and couldn't find the web form on their site. (It had been there before as I registered by K20d that way.) So I sent them an email and they responded by saying that it is not necessary to register the warranty and that I just needed to hold onto the card.

Unless they require proof of purchase for the warranty card then this would make it hard to stop the transferability of it, even though they say it's not transferable. I could see how this could lead to some buying and selling of the card later down the line, like from someone whose 1-year warranty has run out but doesn't have the extended warranty....but maybe I'm missing something.
12-15-2009, 12:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by babajoof Quote
Unless they require proof of purchase for the warranty card then this would make it hard to stop the transferability of it, even though they say it's not transferable. I could see how this could lead to some buying and selling of the card later down the line, like from someone whose 1-year warranty has run out but doesn't have the extended warranty....but maybe I'm missing something.
Does the warranty card has the serial number on it? This used to be the case.

I can see the loop hole you mentioned. The only time I've ever used the camera warranty service was a while back for my Canon G5. I couldn't find the warranty card nor the original receipt. I just printed out the order confirmation email from Amazon. That was sufficient for Canon to honor the warranty.
12-15-2009, 05:20 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Thanks woof for the valuable info and thanks babajoof for confirming.
Well you paid it forward with the S1a. When I saw your post, i just had to jump in and get you squared away. A lot of people do not know about this. Babajoof, yes, the website registration is gone from the process. they could in effect track this because you provide the Proof of Purchase and Serial number when you get the warranty. Either way it is one of the best warrantys out there and Pentax should hammer on it.

Off topic, but since you are here, woof: I found the pre-set Vivitar 135mm F/3.5 (not F/2.8 as I originally thought) with T to screwmount adapter. Its aperture has only 12 blades. Also found a 2X TC.
That is so great! Thank you very, very kindly. I do not have an S1a, so it will round out my collection nicely. It looks in good shape. Honestly, I shoot a lot of film, and after this gets a CLA it is likely to be one of my go-to cameras. By the time of the SV/S1a (same camera save for shutter speed dial and the self-timer) these H bodied cameras had been perfected. They were world class really.

Many of the parts previously made of mild steel had been prone to failure but had been replaced by hardened steel components. This makes these versions of the H bodies sometimes a bit of a target for parts cannibalization, but this one will have a safe, and very long useful life. The Vivitar is great too. I just love the preset "workflow" when taking pictures. It is how I learned on Dad's Asahi AP. I don't have a T adapter lens. this sill be a nice addition to the family. Thank you. I will put that TC to good use too!

Best wishes that you get the warranty easily and quickly and that you NEVER have to use it!

kind regards,

Seaain

12-15-2009, 07:23 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
Hey guys, does the free exended warranty also cove the K-x?
12-15-2009, 10:45 PM   #9

I am also wondering the same thing

I also want to know if the K-x is covered under the extended warranty.

Thanks in advance.
12-15-2009, 10:49 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Aaah no wonder why the extended warranty was just too damn cheap, trying to jack our money =/
12-16-2009, 02:13 AM   #11

wow, that warranty isn't so cheap after all.
12-16-2009, 10:53 AM   #12
Forum Member

I just "talked" to Pentax rep via Live Chat - the free extended warranty does not apply to the K-x. Only to the K20D and K7. Too bad!

Bob
12-16-2009, 11:00 AM   #13
Igilligan

thank goodness for the extended warranty

My K20 just died at the one year mark... two weeks later and it would have been out of the original 1 year warranty!

Having a total of three years of coverage makes me very happy... And makes me love my k20 that much more.

Now, if they would have done the extended warranty with the DA 50-135, I would have had one two years ago!
12-16-2009, 11:01 AM   #14
Forum Member

He also said you can buy the extended warranty from them or B&H for $100. What a deal.
12-16-2009, 11:02 AM   #15
Veteran Member

You get the K20D back yet, gus?