Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Which is BEST Low-Cost Pentax DSLR UNDER $300-$350 Used?
Pentax *ist D 209.52%
Pentax *ist DS2 104.76%
Pentax *ist DL2 41.90%
Pentax K100D Super 6330.00%
Pentax K200D (Might be over $350 used?) 5224.76%
Pentax K10D 11353.81%
Other (Specify) 104.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2009, 12:26 PM   #16
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I believe the K-m has a rightful place here too. It's got some tweaks over the K10D that are worth mentioning.
Although overall I do think the K10D stands out as the winner here.
Followed closely by the *ist D. (I've used both the *ist D and K100D, and feel that the *ist D just has the edge over the K100D in image buffer and customisation - I'm not so worried about the small screen)

12-17-2009, 06:15 AM   #17
Pentaxian

I put the *istD for several reasons.

- the *istD (DS also) can run both P-TTL and TTL mode for flash, this is important for users of old lenses and flashes.

- the *istD has a penta prism

- the metering on the *istD is much better than the K10/K20 for manual aperture lenses.

Although it is not as fast, and uses "non standard CF cards it is a good performer and offers things that other cameras do not have, and if you are used to dual thumb wheel controls it is a natural selection.
12-17-2009, 10:53 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Yeah and after you take a photo, about an hour later you can review it on the LCd and th enext day you can take another photo as the buffer would have cleared by then

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote

- the *istD (DS also) can run both P-TTL and TTL mode for flash, this is important for users of old lenses and flashes.

- the metering on the *istD is much better than the K10/K20 for manual aperture lenses.

Although it is not as fast, and uses "non standard CF cards it is a good performer and offers things that other cameras do not have, and if you are used to dual thumb wheel controls it is a natural selection.
12-17-2009, 12:07 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I should be receiving a "barely used" *istD pretty soon, so I'll help give my opinion on it once I receive it. I have K200D and K-7 to compare against. I expect the *ist to be a nice body, but to be functionally sluggish compared to my others. But I'm excited about the possibility of true TTL flash metering!

12-17-2009, 02:04 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
Yeah and after you take a photo, about an hour later you can review it on the LCd and th enext day you can take another photo as the buffer would have cleared by then
it's not the fastest I'll agree but it does tend to stop and make you think about what you are doing

aside from that, and the lack of speed does not really bother me much, it is a great little camera. For some specific uses it is the best there is and my take on alternate bodies is they should give you some different functionality, the *istD does this. If you want a little more speed but most of the points I origonally noted get a DS
12-19-2009, 01:44 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Kay Ten Dee. Without a doubt. Best handling, best viewfinder bla bla bla.
12-19-2009, 04:03 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you aren't shooting for money, you don't really need backup. Just torture your K20D till it gives up then buy another one. There must be better ways to spend $300.
12-19-2009, 06:16 AM   #23
Inactive Account

K10D

c[_]

jdq;eerar6u356

12-19-2009, 07:26 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Another vote for the *ist series. I use a pair of *ist DS bodies, & have not as yet felt the need to "move up" to a more modern setup. One is set up as a dedicated M42 screwmount shooter, the other handling my bayonets. With my style of shooting, I don't find it any less convenient using one wheel as opposed to the two wheel setup of the *ist D. I only adjust one function at a time, & it takes only a fraction of a second to switch to the other.
I won't consider the newer small bodies (except for the pricey K7, of course), as they all have the inferior Pentamirror finder, & the larger bodies are too large & unwieldy for my tastes & comfort. The Pentaprism is important to me (I have Katz-Eyes installed in both of my bodies), as I use primarily manual focus primes.
P.S. - The bodies are dirt cheap, can be had for about $200 in excellent condition.

Last edited by raymeedc; 12-19-2009 at 07:39 AM.
12-20-2009, 07:45 AM   #25

Didn't see the K100D on the poll. Same photo specs as the K100D super except you don't get the early version (read - ineffective?) dust buster, and you don't have SDM power contacts?

Ditto for the K-M/K2000 being missing. Not that you could get one for $300, so I assume thats why it's not there.

The K10D is still a tank to me. Some people want huge cameras. I will trade off the pentaprism, higher MP, and other features for the size and better ISO.

I also think the S-R makes the later cameras more attractive than the earlier pentaprism models without it. I also consider age is important. Perhaps this is manufacter dependent. I have two almost ten year old Nikon P/S compacts that work fine, while two not as old Konica compacts are dead.
12-20-2009, 08:38 AM   #26
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Since I have K20d and K10d bodies, I would say that of those choices it is the way I would go. However, better still, just bite the bullet and get another K20. The used prices aren't that different from the K10.

For any shooting where someone depends on me, I would not want a second body that did not handle almost exactly like the first, and take the same accessories. After 2 years of the K10/20 layout, my hands do what they are supposed to if I am half asleep, had a couple of drinks, distracted or under pressure. Also, once I really "got" wireless flash using the built-in and an AF 540/360, I don't want a body indoors that can't do it.

On the other hand, the K-m and K-x have always been tempting as casual cameras for travel because, with a pancake lens or two, they will easily fit in a fairly small waist pack or even a winter coat pocket.
12-20-2009, 01:15 PM   #27
Veteran Member

got a *istD just a couple days ago with only about 1200 shutter actuations. What a nice little camera! The pentaprism is better for MF than either my K200D or K-7 because it has high magnification than both (95% for *IstD, 92% for K-7, 85% for K200D), but the K-7 does have 100% view while the IstD only has 95%. But I can definitely tell a difference.

I also like it because it is so compact. Not much shorter in terms of length and height, but the depth is almost 0.5" smaller, which is cool. It makes me want to buy a DA40 Ltd to slap on it and make it nearly pocketable.

The grip is definitely not as good as K-7 or K200D, much shallower so I feel less confident in the hold I have on the camera. Not that I'm worried that I will drop it, but it just isn't quite as ergonomic.

It is quite slow when writing to CF card, but this is only bad if you need to chimp every shot. It has a decent buffer so if you are just shooting a few frames at a time it won't slow you down. Now if you shoot a burst, then you'll be waiting for several seconds while it clears the buffer before you can shoot again.

Oh, and I forgot to mention how awesome true TTL flash metering is. I love how I can have a Takumar, SMC M, or SMC K lens on there and just pop the flash up if I need some extra light! Plus it means I can use my 2 280T flashes to their full capabilities.

I was going to consider selling the body, but I think i'll keep it because it definitely has different capabilities than my other 2 cams.
12-21-2009, 06:18 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by arpaagent Quote
got a *istD just a couple days ago with only about 1200 shutter actuations. What a nice little camera! The pentaprism is better for MF than either my K200D or K-7 because it has high magnification than both (95% for *IstD, 92% for K-7, 85% for K200D), but the K-7 does have 100% view while the IstD only has 95%. But I can definitely tell a difference.

I also like it because it is so compact. Not much shorter in terms of length and height, but the depth is almost 0.5" smaller, which is cool. It makes me want to buy a DA40 Ltd to slap on it and make it nearly pocketable.

The grip is definitely not as good as K-7 or K200D, much shallower so I feel less confident in the hold I have on the camera. Not that I'm worried that I will drop it, but it just isn't quite as ergonomic.

It is quite slow when writing to CF card, but this is only bad if you need to chimp every shot. It has a decent buffer so if you are just shooting a few frames at a time it won't slow you down. Now if you shoot a burst, then you'll be waiting for several seconds while it clears the buffer before you can shoot again.

Oh, and I forgot to mention how awesome true TTL flash metering is. I love how I can have a Takumar, SMC M, or SMC K lens on there and just pop the flash up if I need some extra light! Plus it means I can use my 2 280T flashes to their full capabilities.

I was going to consider selling the body, but I think i'll keep it because it definitely has different capabilities than my other 2 cams.
All of the points you mention is excactly why I recommended it also.

My view is that back up bodies for pro's moost of the time are just extra copies of the main body, but for amatures, a back up should be not just a second body, but one that does different things.

I get back up modies by keeping my old cameras, and part of that consideration is based upon them having different capabilities than the new ones.

aside from all you mention, the *istD has quite useable ISO 3200.

I agree, the grip takes a little getting used to, it is the same size as the K7 but no where near as positive a feel. Having said that, after 6 years I ve never dorpped mine
12-21-2009, 08:46 AM   #29
Veteran Member

k10d

I hope that it is the k10d as I just bought one from a member here!! We will see on Wednesday or Thursday.
12-22-2009, 12:29 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote

+1
Also its high ISO IQ is better than k10D, IMO.